Resale of Used Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like others have said, yes. boarding the Silver Meteor in Orlando, I found the used ticket stub that showed someone boarded at Miami, and disembarked at Kissimee.

Bruce-SSR
It boggles me that someone would pay for a sleeper for a less the 5 hour daytime trip.

Like others have said, yes. boarding the Silver Meteor in Orlando, I found the used ticket stub that showed someone boarded at Miami, and disembarked at Kissimee.

Bruce-SSR
It boggles me that someone would pay for a sleeper for a less the 5 hour daytime trip.
Happens often on various LD Trains when there is a Low Bucket Roomette with Diner Meal(s) for two involved! I've done it myself on the Coast Starlight between LAX and Santa Barbara, the Texas Eagle between Austin and Dallas/Ft Worth/Longview and on the Crescent between New Orleans and Atlanta!

Bruce-SSR
Happens often on various LD Trains when there is a Low Bucket Roomette with Diner Meal(s) for two involved! I've done it myself on the Coast Starlight between LAX and Santa Barbara, the Texas Eagle between Austin and Dallas/Ft Worth/Longview and on the Crescent between New Orleans and Atlanta!
I just looked at a similar fare on the CS as well. For a trip EMY-LAX (about 12 hours, all during daylight) tomorrow, 2 coach tickets are $244, but a roomette for 2 is only $232. Save $12 and get 6 free meals. It seems to be the standard low-bucket combination, as I see it's available constantly over the next several months.

Also, I clicked on this thread because I thought it was about Amtrak selling off old sleeping cars as private varnish.

Last edited by a moderator:
How ironic -- a bunch of ex-Navy RM's on this thread -- thought I'd pipe in. US Navy 1981 to 1991 .. RM2. Duty stations Orlando, San Diego (A-School), Bremerton WA, Guam, Ft Gordon GA (C-School), Australia, Stockton CA and DONE. :)

Yeah, there a reason I didn't do that. :)
Me too! They tried to talk me into " Volunteering for Sub School after "A" School but I, having claustraphobia, declined!
I was stationed @ the Subbase @ New London my last year of service ( in Communications) and got to do a day trip on a training sub, talk about cramped! Wow!!! Made my compartment and rack on the Somers seem like a Penthouse @ the Ritz in comparison!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce-SSR
The Silver Meteor is scheduled for 8:20 AM to 12:56 PM, so it would be lunch. The cheapest roomette I found using Amsnag was 95.00. Is lunch that expensive?

$95 for 2 lunches, and somewhere quiet and away from people to spend the trip? I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the money.
Same here. I like Amlunch, and I love quiet/privacy.

No lunch except possibly @ the White House or in Paris is worth $95!!!!
I disagree. $95 for two for lunch at Jean Georges in NYC is probably about the price of the food before tax and tip. It's probably a great opportunity to eat at a top restaurant without having to shell out even more for dinner.
And I will say that I did a daytime sleeper on the silver star from NYP - WAS and it was cheaper than BC on the acela. Well worth it!!!!

More off-topic:

Navy guys have it so easy. Air Force life was tough. Footmen always complained when you asked them to have your AF limo ready at 3AM to run over to the club. Waiters never served the bouillabaisse at the right temperature. Personal valets never had the uniform pants pressed just right and refused to polish the medals every day because they said 50 was too many. I particularly hated the alerts when enemy plans were thought to be coming. Getting up before 10AM or after 8PM was so difficult.

I have seen passengers travel from Chicago to Princeton, IL by CZ sleeper.

However the coach was sold out into the night before, when they final released all tickets. That was when I was able to snag one for myself after some gathering in Chicago. First afternoon train west some 46 in coach and 6 in sleepers got off at Princeton.

Bruce-SSR
The Silver Meteor is scheduled for 8:20 AM to 12:56 PM, so it would be lunch. The cheapest roomette I found using Amsnag was 95.00. Is lunch that expensive?
I don't remember exactly, but I had the impression looking at the ticket that it was for one person. Wouldn't they be served breakfast that time of the morning?

Like others have said, I would figure they just wanted privacy (see other thread about seat mates), or traveled with their own unchecked luggage.

What concerned me was... was the room 'serviced' between Kissimmee and Orlando? Finding the receipt on the floor bothered me a bit.

I am going to use the 'assume' word here, but I assumed before a sleeper, or any car for that matter, before going into service at a terminal, isn't their a checklist of things that need to get done, including a cleaning/disinfectant. I didn't think they could do that between stops.

When I am disembarking at Orlando, they are taking the sleeper rooms out of service, they ask me to move to another room after Winterpark as they remove the bed sheets and stuff to be laundered from my room. They aren't redoing the bedding.

And going to the bottled vs. tap water debate on trains, I am not a germaphobe, but before I use the facilities in a hotel room or such, I have Lysol sheets to disinfect certain areas. But I don't back away from someone when they sneeze like someone on this forum did with me ;)

Bruce-SSR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back