Resale of Used Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That however appears to be the general practice in all major passenger railroads in the world. As you travel a longer distance your cost per km (or {flame bait} miles in certain backward looking countries :p {/flame bait} ) goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
This applies in freight transportation as well

That however appears to be the general practice in all major passenger railroads in the world. As you travel a longer distance your cost per km (or {flame bait} miles in certain backward looking countries :p {/flame bait} ) goes down.
I get why you have some of that.

There are two reasons:

1: the appropriate price to achieve full trains on one end of the route is probably much higher than on the other end of the route (you'd expect Birmingham-New Orleans to be much cheaper than Atlanta-New York)... so when you add them up the average price per km should be lower for the whole trip

2: an "all the way" ticket sale guarantees sales of both halves of the trip, and that's worth something to the railroad, so you expect *some* discount from the individual pair of tickets

On Amtrak, that discount is just a lot larger than I'd expect it to be. It's roughly 33% cheaper to get a CHI-EMY ticket than to get a CHI-DEN ticket and a DEN-EMY ticket. That's a LOT cheaper. It doesn't seem likely to be revenue-maximizing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No lunch except possibly @ the White House or in Paris is worth $95!!!!
I ate at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay in London last month. Cost us [SIZE=10.5pt]£75 per person (or $129). Probably the best meal I ever ate and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. As they say cost is subjective...but we did take the tube to get there.[/SIZE]

I won't knock those that can afford $100 for Lunch, I know it can be good to great food, but I've had meals in third world markets that were just as good or better than the Four Seasons type expensive meals!

Best meal I ever had was in San Francisco @ an Italian Joint called Ernie's, it was $100 plus wine/ tax and tip and best of all it was on an expense account! LOL

Cleanliness of the rooms may not always be a factor of mid-run.

On my first cross-country run, on the LSL or SWC in 2010, when I didn't know better (which is why I don't remember which leg it was), one seat in my roomette was covered in what looked like white cat hair. I had got on in WOR and then Chicago. I didn't think much of it at the time, but my allergies really kicked in on that trip. And in clean-looking rooms since, no allergies.

do the attendants clean the in-room toilets(or showers) after the previous passengers leave?

And the Chicago turn-around Crews are notorious for sending out cars with still dirty toilets. Case in point when I one time boarded the Lake Shore Limited to find the rim of the Roomette toilet basted in dried p***. But I did not get upset; I just pulled out my travel pack of Sani-Wipes and gave it and the sink a good going over. A package of those in your grip are well worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back