Report of an Amtrak NEC Derailment South of Baltimore

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
MARC is reporting all Penn Line service is halted due to an Amtrak derailment south of Baltimore. Amtrak, @AmtrakNEC and news outlets are not reporting anything at this time. Derailments can be minor, or otherwise. Stay tuned.

From the Baltimore Sun:

Amtrak Train 97, the Silver Meteor, that departed New York today en route to Miami is disabled in the B&P Tunnel in Baltimore. At about 7:00 p.m., the lead wheels of the locomotive came off the rails, though all passenger cars remain upright and on the tracks.

There are no reported injuries to the 158 passengers. As a result of the incident, the Northeast Corridor is shutdown between Washington and Baltimore. As a safety precaution, electrical power to the train has been turned off and Amtrak is sending a rescue locomotive to bring the passengers back to Baltimore Penn Station.

That is not the ideal location to have something happen. It would be like getting trapped in the Baltimore sewer system.

MARC is reporting all Penn Line service is halted due to an Amtrak derailment south of Baltimore. Amtrak, @AmtrakNEC and news outlets are not reporting anything at this time. Derailments can be minor, or otherwise. Stay tuned.
Ah yes, I'm sitting on #188 sitting at the platform in WUS waiting to leave. We're now an hour behind schedule. The conductor is coming over the loudspeaker periodically to apologize, but we've gotten no firm information. Thank God I happen to be taking the day off tomorrow for a doctor's appointment, I'm coming home late and wouldn't relish having to get up tomorrow at my usual time.

While waiting in the Club Acela, they told the sleeping car passengers waiting for #97 (the train that derailed) they weren't going to leave until 9 or 9:30, and they were going to hand out cash for them to go into the Station and buy some dinner. I'm not sure how much cash they were going to give them, but at least there are a few different sit-down choices at the station, they could also try the Irish pub across Massachusetts Ave.

Ah yes, I'm sitting on #188 sitting at the platform in WUS waiting to leave. We're now an hour behind schedule. The conductor is coming over the loudspeaker periodically to apologize, but we've gotten no firm information. Thank God I happen to be taking the day off tomorrow for a doctor's appointment, I'm coming home late and wouldn't relish having to get up tomorrow at my usual time.

While waiting in the Club Acela, they told the sleeping car passengers waiting for #97 (the train that derailed) they weren't going to leave until 9 or 9:30, and they were going to hand out cash for them to go into the Station and buy some dinner. I'm not sure how much cash they were going to give them, but at least there are a few different sit-down choices at the station, they could also try the Irish pub across Massachusetts Ave.
I have been the Club Acela twice when 97 was delayed and we were given $25 in lieu of dinner on the train. In those circumstances, the rule prohibiting eating in the lounge was not enforced and we were permitted to bring in outside food. In both instances, we were unsure how long we would be delayed, so it was recommended that we stay close by. Both times, I think we boarded around 9pm. The sleeping car passengers that chose not to wait in the lounge (or did not know about the lounge) did not get the $25.00, however, they were served dinner in the diner if they wanted it.

In order to receive the $25 in cash from the lounge attendant, passengers signed a receipt. Most passengers were satisfied with the procedure.

Joe, I hope you get home at a reasonable time.

I am sorry to hear that "my" train was involved in this incident. :(

Just got an announcement from the conductor. Things must be starting to move, because he reports a southbound Acela entering the B&P tunnel. I suspect they're running single track through the tunnel.

We also found out that they're going to load us up with passengers from the next Northeast Regiona and a MARC train, so it should be a bit crowded (he said something like 200 extra passengers.)

Good Fortune that No-one and No Equipment is Hurt or Damaged! Sounds like things are Starting to Flow again on the NEC, Amtrak and MARC must be Co-operating Well to be able to Start service this Quick! Hopefully Everyone will get to Eat also as Penny mentioned in her Post!

I Guess the #97 Passengers will be getting to their Destinations Late Tomorrow but its better than a Bustitution or a Sardine Can Ride!(Though adding 200 Regional/MARC Passengers to a Regional may be Sardine Can Like! :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad week for the Mid-Atlantic Division. middle-eastern part of Amtrak's operating territory.

Bad week for the Mid-Atlantic Division.
There is no more Mid-Atlantic Division.

It's now the Northeast Corridor Region
I have a weekly safety bulletin that I found on last week's 29, with dates from last week, and on the head was "Mid-Atlantic Division".

Viola.

Edit: I suppose I could be wrong about which division, so I will amend myself to say "Bad week for Amtrak operations in the middle east," wait, that didn't come out right.

image(1).jpeg

We pulled out of WUS at about 8:50 or so, we're now somewhere near Odenton. Things seem to be running smoothly. The train's not even that badly crowded. We'll see what happens when we hit the tunnel.
Talk abut being overly optimistic. We ground to a halt at West Baltimore, along with about 3 or 4 other trains. We all had to wait our turn, and when we finally went through, it was at a snails pace. We didn't get into BAL until about 12:30 AM. My sympathies to those headed further north.

Given that #97 leaves Baltimore at 6:14, I suspect the derailment happened very soon thereafter. I would say that any train that left Union Station after about 5:30 was affected by this. That would be at least two regionals, two Acelas, and at least 3 MARC trains. There was is also a boatload of southbound trains leaving Baltimore after 6:30.

When we got off, there was an Acela on the platform, opposite track, that had been off-loaded, and whose destination display read "Baltimore." I think they may have off-loaded all the southbound Acela passengers and put them on Regionals for the run into DC just to reduce the number of trains they had to run through the affected area. As we drove off, I saw at least one other Acela trainset parked on the tracks.

Apparently, it's still a mess. I lucked out not having to go to the office today.

I feel bad for those affected by the long delay and glad no one got hurt. I'm traveling on the Silver Meteor from NYP to ORL in two weeks and hope this doesn't happen to me!

Good thing my wife and I weren't on that train. She hates going through tunnels and to be stuck in one would really freak her out.

That is not the ideal location to have something happen. It would be like getting trapped in the Baltimore sewer system.
Don't need to be in a tunnel in Baltimore for this type of "entrapment" -- anywhere in the city will do.

I have been tracking 97 using Amtrak's "track a train." It is between Palatka and DeLand right now, running 4+ hours late. If it makes it to Orlando before sunset, I may walk to the tracks to wave to the train. I am happy to see that the passengers will be getting to Florida the same day as scheduled (albeit a bit late).

Good thing my wife and I weren't on that train. She hates going through tunnels and to be stuck in one would really freak her out.
They would have given me a sedative cause me and tunnels don't mix. I am always so glad when the Crescent gets out of that tunnel that is near Washington and am praying we don't stop while inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back