Portland Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootman4U

Train Attendant
Will be traveling eastbound to Chicago on the Empire Builder at the end of April. Making my way from the airport to the station by public transport.

Am wondering if there is anywhere nearby to pick up a few snacks for the trip. Also coffee and no, I am sorry, but I do not usually bother with "Starburnt" otherwise not "too" fussy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi,

When I was last in PDX, they were constructing new lines to add the rail station onto the light rail system. I noticed some commercial property just outside the station near the tram tracks, not sure if they would now be occupied. Might be a place to buy snacks there. If the tram system is up and running to the station, it could be worth while going into Portland city itself, the central area is a free fare zone, and a very interesting place.

I expect a local might have better info for you than me..

Cheers,

Eddie :cool:

Hi, When I was last in PDX, they were constructing new lines to add the rail station onto the light rail system. I noticed some commercial property just outside the station near the tram tracks, not sure if they would now be occupied. Might be a place to buy snacks there. If the tram system is up and running to the station, it could be worth while going into Portland city itself, the central area is a free fare zone, and a very interesting place.

I expect a local might have better info for you than me..

Cheers,

Eddie :cool:
Thanks, Eddie for your reply. My undersatanding is there is a rail station within easy walking distance of the depot itself so am looking very much forward to the PDX-station segment.

Portland's Union Station itself has a snack/gift shop located inside. I'm not a coffee drinker so I didn't pay attention to whether they serve coffee or not there. I would assume so but don't quote me on that. :)

Portland's Union Station itself has a snack/gift shop located inside. I'm not a coffee drinker so I didn't pay attention to whether they serve coffee or not there. I would assume so but don't quote me on that. :)

Thanks very much. I had heard that the station actually does have some sort of gift shop/convenience store so your information is very helpful. As to the coffee: I rarely drink it but will say that I refuse to start being a so-called "coffee snob"

Last edited by a moderator:
Union Station does have a coffee/snack shop right inside of the waiting room - on the right side of the waiting room when facing the tracks. I believe it's called "The Trackside Cafe". They have all kinds of snacks and sandwiches.

To get from the airport to Union Station by MAX, take the Red line right from the airport. then transfer to the Green line at ANY station between Gateway and the Rose Garden. There will be a stop at the Greyhound terminal - which is right next to Union Station! ;)

There are tons of things within walking distance of Union Station. Brew pubs, fast food (aka Quizno's), Starbucks, etc. They usually have those cute graphical maps of the city stashed around the depot, just grab one of those and you are set.

When I am there on a couple hour layover, I usually walk around and grab stuff, as the place inside the station is VERY expensive. For example, you can get Diet Coke bottles in town for $1.50, at the depot, they are $2.59.

Anyway, lots of things to do!

Thanks for the additional replies and info.

Yes, I have already printed out the TRI-MAX instructions, map, etc., and got some info from someone on another travel-related board so the public transport segment should be fairly easy.

I assumed that snack bar/whatever INSIDE the station would end up being the pricier option and since I am at least scheduled to have several hours between touchdown and glide out I was planning to leave my baggage in the Metro Lounge and do a bit of exploring.

Everyone's comments have been helpful and thank you again.

Within walking distance of the Gateway Max station is a "Fred Meyer" store. They have a full grocery supermarket, also clothes, variety etc. Lloyd Center mall will be about 4 stops before Union station. If you need books Powells (a FULL building of new/used books) is on Burnside about 1/2 mile from Union Station (a nice hike, or accessable from the streetcar). Portland's down town area is very alive and worth a vist also.

We love the Portland Union Station sooooo much, that when we go southbound to San Francisco, we normally catch the Cascades up to Portland from Eugene, and then the Coast Starlight to San Francisco. The Metropolitan Lounge is usually quiet and peaceful .... and the employees have always been pleasant! That being said, we normally never stray far from the station, but I have heard of Voodoo Donuts ... I saw them on Food Network ... maybe we'll try to find them this October, when we get off of the Empire Builder. That would make 2 new food places for this trip, as I have read and read and read about Giordano's in Chicago .... and this time we will be able to search them out!! Thank you, everyone, for all of the neat tips and suggestions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back