Philadelphia to NYC commute affordability- help!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lennyj, would you be willing to shoot me an email at aglewis4 - at - gmail.com, regarding the way you get the cost down to 800?
I would really appreciate it, as that cost is the only way I could afford it.

Andrew
Another option (again, depending on where you're located, if you have a car, how you feel about driving, etc.) is to drive to Trenton and then take the NJ Transit from there. One of my coworkers did Philly to NY by way of car to NJ Transit for many years and found it to be the best option from NE Philly.

I realize this thread is OLD, but hopefully some additional experienced commuters can give me some insight.

The numbers quoted all seem slightly out of date. The monthly pass is $1386, no option to use discounts. The 10-ride is not even close to worth it at $616, and the cheapest single ride ticket I find when I look in advance is $41. I see reference to $36 tickets... is that a thing of the past? Are there any other options for a cheaper monthly pass? I'm beginning a new job in NYC, and commuting from Western Philly suburbs, so I'll be doing both a Septa AND Amtrak monthly pass. I'm eligible for AAA discount, and it looks like I will have the $250 pre-tax commuter benefit (this is not a reimbursment, only pre-tax money).

For the month of January (I start next week) I'll just do advanced purchases of daily tickets, so February will be my first monthly buy. I intend to use the Amtrak credit card for the points, but I was hoping to find additional savings. Can someone please confirm I have all of this correct, and if this is the best way (I will not do bus/NJT).

Thanks!

The $36 ticket is now the $41 ticket. This is the 14-day advance purchase fare. For a daily or almost daily commute, there are really two options. The economy(?) way is the SEPTA/NJT combo. You would need a monthly SEPTA "Anywhere" pass ($191) plus a monthly NJ Transit Trenton to New York pass ($440). That brings you to $631 a month. Of course, the downside is that it is a long ride, time wise, and your in a commuter train with commuter train seating all the way.

The high price option is the Amtrak monthly pass at $1386, plus whichever SEPTA pass you need to get to 30th Street. The benefit is a much faster and more comfortable ride on Amtrak compared to the two-train ride on SEPTA/NJT. Plus, you get at-seat power and internet access, which could be of some advantage for checking email and maybe even getting some work done en route. Amtrak monthly passes are accepted on most non-Acela trains with no advance reservations. The ability to vary your schedule without impacting train reservations is a benefit of the Amtrak monthly pass as compared to simply reserving trains one at a time.

Depending on where you are in the western burbs, the Amtrak monthly option is also available from Ardmore and Paoli ($1458) and Exton ($1476). This limits you to using only Amtrak Keystone trains west of 30th Street, but it saves you the SEPTA pass, and it gives you a one-seat ride all the way to New York. Ardmore and Exton only have certain Amtrak Keystone trains stop. All Keystone trains stop at Paoli.

The bottom line is that there is no cheap way to make a 200-mile round trip commute to New York from the Philly area. There's the expensive way, SEPTA/NJT, that is slow and kind of a pain, and there is the real expensive way, Amtrak, that is at least faster and much more comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The NJT trip is long (lots and lots of stops), but if you aren't too large the seating is perfectly comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back