Philadelphia to NYC commute affordability- help!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if they're worried about people simply printing up another eTicket for a friend, the solution is to periodically check IDs like it says on the eTicket.
They can allow them to be only be printed at the Counter, or QT machines...Once a new Pass is printed there should be some type of algorithm in the system that cancels out the previous one so it cannot be accepted by the scanners.
Simply not possible with the current system. The barcode on the ticket does nothing more than to pull up your reservation number. The barcode contains nothing more than the PNR. There is no way to lock out anything.

Another interesting blurb in the FY2013 budget:

eTicketing Related Programs $2.8M

The core eTicketing Development project implemented a new ticket validation model that will facilitate customer self-service and transform ticket validation and revenue accounting from a paper based system to an electronic one. Connecting conductors to the central ticketing system using mobile technology enables this transformation while also dramatically improving the accuracy of passenger manifests. Theinitial phase of eTicketing was deployed on July 30, 2012 and provides the eTicketing solution for approximately 90% of Amtrak customers. In order for Amtrak to realize the full benefit of eTicketing, Amtrak will need to complete some additional work in FY2013. This will include extending the eTicketing capabilities to following types of passengers: Multi-Rides, Groups, Onboard Sales, GDS/Travel Agency and both revenue and non-revenue pass passengers. In addition to delivering enhanced functionality for conductors, customers and improved data for Amtrak and state partners.
So, they're intending to finish eTicketing at least for multi-rides, but can we infer anything from the fact that monthly passes aren't mentioned? For $2.8 million, I would hope they include a solution for that as well.

Even if they're worried about people simply printing up another eTicket for a friend, the solution is to periodically check IDs like it says on the eTicket.
They can allow them to be only be printed at the Counter, or QT machines...Once a new Pass is printed there should be some type of algorithm in the system that cancels out the previous one so it cannot be accepted by the scanners.
Simply not possible with the current system. The barcode on the ticket does nothing more than to pull up your reservation number. The barcode contains nothing more than the PNR. There is no way to lock out anything.
I think the suggestion is to reprogram the system to generate a new barcode (representing a replacement number) on each reprint, and once a new barcode is utilized any previous ones are automatically cancelled.

Of course there might be the possibility of someone printing out a bunch and telling friends when to use them in order to get around a lockout system. In that case maybe set a limit of one that can be reprinted at a time, and that a replacement can't be issued until it's either used or manually cancelled by a ticket agent at a ticket counter.

There has to be some better way. Simply mandating that ID must be checked against the name every time on a monthly is just too easy a concept, and one that the conductors probably don't want because they're so used to not asking. I mean, I mentioned the thing with Disneyland, and a lot of people knew the drill and had their IDs out before they even got in line.

Another interesting blurb in the FY2013 budget:eTicketing Related Programs $2.8M

The core eTicketing Development project implemented a new ticket validation model that will facilitate customer self-service and transform ticket validation and revenue accounting from a paper based system to an electronic one. Connecting conductors to the central ticketing system using mobile technology enables this transformation while also dramatically improving the accuracy of passenger manifests. Theinitial phase of eTicketing was deployed on July 30, 2012 and provides the eTicketing solution for approximately 90% of Amtrak customers. In order for Amtrak to realize the full benefit of eTicketing, Amtrak will need to complete some additional work in FY2013. This will include extending the eTicketing capabilities to following types of passengers: Multi-Rides, Groups, Onboard Sales, GDS/Travel Agency and both revenue and non-revenue pass passengers. In addition to delivering enhanced functionality for conductors, customers and improved data for Amtrak and state partners.
So, they're intending to finish eTicketing at least for multi-rides, but can we infer anything from the fact that monthly passes aren't mentioned? For $2.8 million, I would hope they include a solution for that as well.
I thought a monthly was considered a multi-ride.

To the OP....people have suggested Amtrak, commuter train combo's and buses, but there is another option to consider....carpooling. I believe there are sites online where you can search for car and vanpools that are probably more economical than the other choices, although may not offer the flexibility they do. But it may be worth your time to research it a bit....

Another interesting blurb in the FY2013 budget:eTicketing Related Programs $2.8M

Multi-Ride tickets are anywhere from I think 2 up to 10 trips.

Monthly's can be used everyday. Unlike Multi-Rides which can be used a certain amount of times.

Last edited by a moderator:

If an Amtrak monthly is like Metra's monthly it means you can ride as much as you want during the month, seven days a week, four trips a day, whatever. A multi-ride would be for a specific number of trips, say 10.

Another interesting blurb in the FY2013 budget:

eTicketing Related Programs $2.8M

Multi-Ride tickets are anywhere from I think 2 up to 10 trips.

Monthly's can be used everyday. Unlike Multi-Rides which can be used a certain amount of times.
When you're looking to buy monthlies on the Amtrak website you need to click on the Multi-Ride link. You select the endpoints and "radio buttons" for 10-ride or monthly are available. That's why I consider monthlies to be multi-ride tickets.

So the conductor on 66 knows most of the monthly commuters by name. That is why I think it's so crazy that they don't allow eticket usage for this. I mean he would know if someone else tried to use my H's ticket.

Looking at the numbers, I'd go with the monthly pass as well, at least in most months. It might make sense if you're going on a long vacation at Christmas or in the summer to skip the pass and do "normal" or multi-ride tickets for that month, but assuming that you can get a monthly ticket for $930 or so (which would be a good deal), you should rack up status.
Assuming you did ten monthly tickets at $930/month, you'd have 18,600 TQPs; incidental travel in the other two months ought to be enough to put you over the 20,000 needed for SE+, with its 100% point bonus and extra upgrade cards.
He won't be able to apply discounts to the Monthly Passes or 10-trip tickets......14-day fares, plus the 250$ reimbursement are his best/cheapest shot.....1080 - 250$ = 830$.....
I know the point has been made about specific trains; there's also the fact that the 14-day fares aren't always available (for example, right now on June 17, there are five Regionals not at $36 NYP-PHL).

Edit: There's a possible marginal advantage to the single-ride tickets (namely, the extra AGR points). Still, there's an element of gambling there, and it's quite possible to think of days when a "replacement" ticket might simply not be available for several hours if a train is missed.
Also keep in mind the OP is looking for the most cost-effective way of doing this....so that's signalling to me he want to keep his cost as low as possible.... I used to buy the Monthly for almost a year straight when it was only 1K a month. When it went to 1.2K I started using the Ten Trip Tickets but that wasn't cutting it. Then I tried to see how well I could keep up with the 14-day fares and bingo that worked best....and I've been booking 14-day fares for the last 2-3 years now. Keep in mind I don't get any reimbursement, I only make the commute 3-4 days a week, and my work schedule is pretty static.

Like previously mentioned 14-day fares do have a bit of a hassle to it, not much, the biggest is making sure you're always booking ahead to make the window and know which trains you'll be taking. And you must Hoard your AGR points to use when needed unexpectedly.

Even "walkup" (purchased 30-60 minutes before boarding) Megabus tickets are $17 on all but the busiest days. Yes it will easily take twice as long but can be a fall back option if you don't make the train. The other option is to use a ten ride as an "insurance policy" to take trips where you need to travel last minute, or have to "crash" a high bucket period (i.e. the Friday afternoon trains that are $99 or $125), and buy individual tickets otherwise, canceling them on the Amtrak smartphone app when they are not necessary and using those E-Vouchers to purchase the next 45 day period's insurance policy. If a ten trip is $584, and the advance purchase fare is $36, then essentially the insurance policy is $220 every six weeks. In other words, book the $36 tickets as available, and when you know that you will be leaving at a fixed time. If there is a pre-scheduled meeting that runs a variable period, of if you know that you could be working late on Wednesday to meet a Thursday deadline, don't buy the advance purchase ticket and instead use the 10-trip.

All;

Thank you very much for the insight (and debate).

It is just a situation where I am eagerly trying to find a way to make it happen. I currently work in Manhattan- with a serious relationship (and the vast majority of my social network/friends in Philadelphia). I already commute 2hrs a day from NJ- so the time isn't necessarily an issue as I get a tremendous amount of reading done... It is the cost.

Currently, my significant other is tied to a lease in Philadelphia for another year. I just need to find a way to make this work.

I am reviewing all the input, thanks. I still am unsure as to what the actual cost will be in terms of the absolute cheapest I could count on for the monthly commute. I would ONLY be needing to commute 5 days a week-every week-per month. So, 20 days a month.

Much appreciated.

So if you are definitely doing this every day, I think the monthly is your best bet. The monthly is $1,314 but you cannot use the AAA or NARP discounts. So it will be $1,314 - $250 (employer reimb) = $1064 net cost to you. With the monthly you have the flexibility to take any train (except Acela) between NYP & PHL.

The cheapest one way fare between PHL - NYP is $36. That is the 14 day advance purchase rate. So it would be $72 each day. The advance purchase rate is not applicable with the AAA or NARP discounts. If you truly are commuting 20 days a month, even if you get all advance purchase rates you are looking at $1,440. Now some months you aren't going to be commuting 20 days a month - holidays, vacations, etc. So keep that in mind.

If you are truly commuting every day I think the monthly is the cheapest way. If you are only commuting 3-4 days a week I would probably try to cobble together the advance purchase fares of $36 each way. But in your case, I think you still come out ahead with the monthly plus have flexibility.

The cheapest option for 20 round trips a month is the SEPTA/NJT combo with the change of trains at Trenton. The monthly SEPTA pass is $191. The monthly NJ Transit pass is $440. The total monthly cost is $631 - less than half the cost of Amtrak. One plus is that the monthly SEPTA pass permits use of any SEPTA rail station and also SEPTA bus, trolley and subway lines. The Amtrak pass requires you to get to 30th Street Station, and depending on where you live, that could be an additional cost.

The SEPTA/NJT trip to New York is not fast and comfort is arguable, but next to Megabus or Bolt Bus, it is pretty much the cheapest way to go.

I like Jim's suggestion about moving closer to (or into) the city. This may not be a preference at all, but just wondering if you could get a decent place to stay if you take your current rent/mortgage and add the cost of the pass...

All;
Thank you very much for the insight (and debate).

It is just a situation where I am eagerly trying to find a way to make it happen. I currently work in Manhattan- with a serious relationship (and the vast majority of my social network/friends in Philadelphia). I already commute 2hrs a day from NJ- so the time isn't necessarily an issue as I get a tremendous amount of reading done... It is the cost.

Currently, my significant other is tied to a lease in Philadelphia for another year. I just need to find a way to make this work.

I am reviewing all the input, thanks. I still am unsure as to what the actual cost will be in terms of the absolute cheapest I could count on for the monthly commute. I would ONLY be needing to commute 5 days a week-every week-per month. So, 20 days a month.

Much appreciated.

Yes...I agree...If you're commuting 5 days a week...the Monthly Ticket is the best option...It comes out to be 30$ each way if you use it RT once each business day plus the Monthly will give you Flexibility to take almost any Regional and all Keystone trains without making reservations....But Like I said previously if you miss even one day the cost rise above that of the 14-day Advance. The Months where you take a week Vacation or have several days off, I would forego the Monthly and use 14-day advance tickets..

You could try the SEPTA/NJT Route and see if your Tolerance level is up to dealing with the Chaos. What you save in $$$$, you will pay for in Patients make no mistake about it... You have to time the transfer at Trenton perfectly, now keep in mind this is not always possible as a lot of time NJT/SEPTA will be held until Amtrak passes (Amtrak has priority over the Commuter Trains) which cause the connection to be missed a lot in Trenton. Make sure you time Septa to one of the "Super-Express" NJT that only stop at Trenton, Hamilton, Princeton then Newark, otherwise it'll be a very very long commute. Also remember SEPTA and NJT are separate companies, they WILL NOT WAIT for each one at Trenton, I found this more of a pain in the PM rush, as my tolerance is lower and I want to get home. Penn station will be nothing nice in the PM, bank on that.

Only people who do the SEPTA/NJT combo, are those that truly CANNOT afford to use Amtrak, and if that's the case I seriously don't think doing PHL/NYP commuting is worth it, I would just find a job close to PHL. You really have to be making much better Pay in NYC for the commute to be worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a possible technical solution to the monthly pass eticket problem (Amtrak, are you listening?).

Treat the monthly ticket like the multiride tickets on VRE: validate before boarding. In other words, use the monthly pass at either one of the two terminal stations to get a single-use one-way pass every time you make a trip.

Going up to Quiktrak and doing all this, even with your credit card as ID is really slow, though, so you could just take your smart phone, use the Amtrak app and have it create an eticket--a barcode--for soon to be arriving train of your choice. The only upshot would be having to activate GPS on the smartphone for that app OR having physical infrastructure at the station you could "tap" which would have to be an additional investment over and above the existing Quiktrak.

This would also allow Amtrak to better track usage of their monthly passes. Maybe they could even refund you for unused portions like the way London's Oyster transit payment system guarantees you the lowest fare structure depending on your weekly/monthly usage.

Sounds like if you can read on the bus that's going to be your best option.

What about getting an apt halfway? What about Trenton?

lennyj, would you be willing to shoot me an email at aglewis4 - at - gmail.com, regarding the way you get the cost down to 800?

I would really appreciate it, as that cost is the only way I could afford it.

Andrew

Last edited:
So, you're planning to move to Philly. But have you decided *where* in the Philadelphia metro area?

I know people who commute from the Jersey suburbs of Philly to NYC via the RiverLine to Trenton, which is apparently a fine commute if you live within walking distance of a RiverLine station. Since NJT operates the RiverLine, apparently you're less likely to miss your transfer.

(You can do this from as far south as Camden, which is merely a PATCO subway ride away from Philadelphia.)

I've heard tell of other people who live *on* the SEPTA Trenton line (from Bridesburg to Levittown), or who live in Center City or University City and walk to 30th St / Suburban / Market East, who think that the SEPTA/NJT transfer is OK. Slow, because they generally have to take "the train before", but OK... if Trenton is you your only transfer, you can arrange to be on "the train before" and just plan for a long wait when changing trains.

The people who start really complaining about the transfer at Trenton are people who have to drive to their starting SEPTA station, or who have to already change trains on SEPTA once before getting to Trenton. It starts to be quite a complicated dance at that point.

So my recommendation is to think *carefully* about what part of Philadelphia you move to. Effectively some parts are much closer to NYC than others. (Of course, you'll find that the rents are higher in those places. :p )

I didn't notice this before writing my previous reply. The neighborhood of that lease is critical. If your SO's lease is in certain neighborhoods of Philadelphia, the SEPTA-NJT transfer will work for you if you're patient; in others, PATCO-Riverline will work; and in other neighborhoods, you're probably out of luck. On the map, a commute from Fern Rock looks like it would work, but it probably wouldn't work, because I wouldn't try transferring from the Broad St. Line to Regional Rail at N Phildelphia.

I know people who commute from the Jersey suburbs of Philly to NYC via the RiverLine to Trenton, which is apparently a fine commute if you live within walking distance of a RiverLine station. Since NJT operates the RiverLine, apparently you're less likely to miss your transfer.
Bombardier runs the RiverLine on Conrail Shared Assets Trackage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back