Pet peeves while riding amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not talking about staff problems or Amtrak problems but things other passengers due that bother you.

Like coming back from LAX on the SWC the guy behind me had chewing tobacco out and was spitting it into a paper cup.

Coming home from the gathering on 352 the wolverine this child was crying on and off throughout the whole trip and the mother even changed the child's diaper ON THE SEAT YUCK.
To put the complaints about Amtrak in perspective, check out this interesting discussion of where airlines are going...

http://community.nytimes.com/comments/travel.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/travel/22prac.html?sort=newest

To put the complaints about Amtrak in perspective, check out this interesting discussion of where airlines are going...

http://community.nytimes.com/comments/travel.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/travel/22prac.html?sort=newest
To put that article in perspective, they're talking specifically about Spirit Airlines, which is nothing like any airline most of us have ever flown. It's a bit like Ryanair, but most Americans won't have ever flown them either. At one point they compare Spirit to Costco, which is really confusing to me. Costco is where all costs are up-front and clearly explained and where the customer is generally well compensated whenever something doesn't work out. Spirit is where the customer is nickeled and dimed to death with intentionally tricky pricing schemes and treated like a burden whenever there's a disagreement. Not to mention the vast differences in their compensation, benefits, and legal troubles. The author may be an expert in something, but the travel sector doesn't appear to be where their knowledge lies.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the practice of saving seats in the sightseer lounge yet. Some people seem to think it's OK to leave their belongings on the seat and disappear to lunch for an hour and a half. I see this on the #5 out of Denver pretty often: I walk into the sightseer lounge and find lots of empty seats with books, bags, or articles of clothing placed on top of them. Their "owners" are out having breakfast, but apparently wanted to "reserve" their seats for the scenic climb into the Rockies.

Inconsiderate people that clog up the tables in the cafe car when they are not buying cafe car products. Some of these azzhats sit there the entire trip. I need to suggest to Amtrak that the Cafe Car tables are for paying cafe customers customers only. I always see this on the NE corridor trains and it bothers me to no end.

Inconsiderate people that clog up the tables in the cafe car when they are not buying cafe car products. Some of these azzhats sit there the entire trip. I need to suggest to Amtrak that the Cafe Car tables are for paying cafe customers customers only. I always see this on the NE corridor trains and it bothers me to no end.
The problem is that there are often trains with no seats available together for groups of 2-4 people, so they go and set up camp in the cafe car. I don't blame them. I don't think amtrak has that rule on the NEC, and if they do, I have never seen a sign to indicate that the cafe tables are only for those eating food from the cafe. They do have a "no laptop" rule that I noticed the other day, but that might have been on the downeaster and I am getting my point runs confused.

I am peeved by the people who think they should be accommodated on a "special" request to board early/board later/depart early/depart later than what they have been ticketed. Stop trying to cheat the system.

I also tire of the ongoing "onboard upgrade" threads. Come On, we all know this is a risky proposition at best. Sometime it works, most times NOT.

Last edited by a moderator:

To put that article in perspective, they're talking specifically about Spirit Airlines, which is nothing like any airline most of us have ever flown. It's a bit like Ryanair, but most Americans won't have ever flown them either. At one point they compare Spirit to Costco, which is really confusing to me. Costco is where all costs are up-front and clearly explained and where the customer is generally well compensated whenever something doesn't work out. Spirit is where the customer is nickeled and dimed to death with intentionally tricky pricing schemes and treated like a burden whenever there's a disagreement. Not to mention the vast differences in their compensation, benefits, and legal troubles. The author may be an expert in something, but the travel sector doesn't appear to be where their knowledge lies.
From other postings I've read on this forum, I'm reluctant to get into an argument with you.

The comments by all those people in The New York Times blog is about more than just about Spirit Airlines. They reflect the fact that almost all airlines have cut back on service and established fees for everything under the sun, from checked baggage to stand-by to snacks, and on and on and on. Spirit Airlines no longer sits fundamentally different from other airline companies. Rather, it represents the extreme spot on a scale that many other airlines are proceeding towards. Ten years ago, what United, American, et al do today with fees would have been described as outrageous, egregious, extreme, and so forth. Now those terms have moved down the scale to Spirit--for the moment.

I realize that for some people, Amtrak can never do enough to satisfy them, but the trend at Amtrak, in contrast to the airlines, is to improve service, however gradually, and not to add on fee after fee after fee.

This is exactly how the Empire Corridor lost its Cafe service and LSA on the NYP-Albany runs.

WHY DO THEY SIT AT A DINNER TABLE IF DIRTY? DO U THINK I AM GOING TO MOVE ANY FASTER ?

To be fair, even Amtrak calls these "lounge" cars, not "cafe" cars. They're intended to be places for people to sit and relax, not just buy food and eat it. Many of these cars were not even originally configured with booths - booths have just became Amtrak's "standard" lounge seating. But that doesn't mean they're just for eating.

You have a tray table at your seat if you really just want to eat. I suspect that what you really want to do is "lounge", which is the same thing the people you're complaining about are doing - they just got their first. But use of the lounge car is included as part of the fare - you shouldn't need to buy something in the food service area in order to use it.

To be fair, even Amtrak calls these "lounge" cars, not "cafe" cars. They're intended to be places for people to sit and relax, not just buy food and eat it. Many of these cars were not even originally configured with booths - booths have just became Amtrak's "standard" lounge seating. But that doesn't mean they're just for eating.
ummm then how come the Amfleet Ia say "CAFE" on the side?

Am1 IVb:

http://www.trainweb....afe/20035A.html

Am1 Cap:

http://www.trainweb....afe/28350A.html

Am2 IVb Diner-Lite:

http://www.trainweb....afe/28022A.html

And the Horizons make it even more obvious they want you to eat there they are called "Dinettes"

http://www.trainweb....afe/53505A.html

The Surfliners are Coach/Cafes

http://www.trainweb....cafe/6304A.html

Actually really the only ones that are labled "Lounges" are the Amfleet II 'Amlounge's and the Sightseer Lounges. Even still the lower level of the Sightseers is labled "Cafe" indoors I believe. And on one side of the AmLounges it still says "Dinette"....

Am2 IV Amlounge:

http://www.trainweb....afe/28010A.html

peter

Edit:

Oh and the Acela's are Cafes ("Cafe Acela"):

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/locoshots/acelacoach/3319A.html

The PPCs are "Parlor Cars" which is a lounge....(Definition):

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/locoshots/pacparlor/39972A.html

Yeah that will make a lot of people happy, and calling people names doesn't help any argument. Plus your not entitled to a seat in the lounge car, only the seat or room you purchased.

I wonder if anyone has any info on just why Amtrak deleted cafe/lounge, or whatever you want to call it, service on the short NYP-Albany hops. I'm almost positive the ones that super glued themselves to a table, and pretended to be deeply immersed in their work and didn't bother to even buy a cup of coffee, were at least partially responsible for discontinuance of that service. Anybody have the Amtrak PR on it?

I read just recently elsewhere that the discontinuation of food service on Empire trains was because NY State wanted to use private contractors, the unions fired back wanting to save jobs, and somehow in the shuffle the food service got cut entirely.

This is just what I've heard and have no source for it...

ummm then how come the Amfleet Ia say "CAFE" on the side?
ummm It must be because they ran out of paint when they substituted them for real lounge cars.

Quote from the LSL timetable:

Lounge: Sandwiches, snacks and beverages. (Note—Combined Diner/Lounge provides food and beverage service between New York and

Albany).

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satellite?SnippetName=IBLegacy&pagename=am/AM_Snippet_C/SnippetWrapper&amen=Lounge

Lounge, Dinette, Cafe and Snack Cars

Informal Dining Options

On many trains not offering formal Dining Car service, food service is often available in Lounge, Dinette, Cafe, and Snack Cars from early morning to late evening. Hours of operation vary depending on train operation.

On these cars, we offer a variety of carry-out style foods, including soups and salads, beverages, pizza, sandwiches, and other snacks. On some trains, ready-to-go tray meals are available.

Credit cards (MasterCard, American Express, Visa and Discover) are accepted for payment in Cafe Cars on all trains that offer food service.

Seating for Meals and Socializing

Lounge and Cafe Cars provide roomy tables and comfortable, casual seating for enjoying your meals, writing, playing a hand of cards or a board game, or just sharing time with friends, family and new acquaintances.

Onboard Entertainment

Typically, any onboard entertainment offered on your train takes place in the train's Lounge Car.

Accessibility

On some long-distance trains, people using wheelchairs may transfer to and from the Lounge Car at appropriate station stops; ask your onboard service attendant to make the necessary arrangements.

Seating for Meals and Socializing

Lounge and Cafe Cars provide roomy tables and comfortable, casual seating for enjoying your meals, writing, playing a hand of cards or a board game, or just sharing time with friends, family and new acquaintances.
Wow! That sounds nice. Maybe I'll give the train a try next time.

no offence to rtabern; but personally I dislike the ongoing announced 'ramblings' of the trails & rails on the EB. Mind you I do like the fact that they are on and usually know a fair bit about what we are seeing, but does it have to be blared throughout the entire car at top volume (I guess if you wanted people to hear it it does...)? I think my favorite T&R presentation was a park ranger who came in and set up a little hands-on museum display thing about Lewis & Clark; and the Rangers on board during Glacier were nice. But the guy rambling on about cattle farming as we went across the Montana was really quite annoying.
No offense taken... however... I challenge you to come on one of my 6 remaining trips this season (and possibly ever) and tell me you didn't have a good time. Aug23-24, Sep12-13, Sep19-20. Go ahead and PM if you can make it!! If you ride and dont have a good time, I'll buy you a couple of drinks on me!!!

However, like I said in another recent post -- your T&R experience all depends on who you have. My group has about 50 people, and I'd only say about 10 of the guides are really good at it. Volunteers range from folks like myself who put hours and hours of research and make their own props and script and know when to talk and when to shut up -- and you have other guys who are just on for the free meals and hotels and ramble for hours about every branch line we cross.

I wonder if anyone has any info on just why Amtrak deleted cafe/lounge, or whatever you want to call it, service on the short NYP-Albany hops. I'm almost positive the ones that super glued themselves to a table, and pretended to be deeply immersed in their work and didn't bother to even buy a cup of coffee, were at least partially responsible for discontinuance of that service. Anybody have the Amtrak PR on it?
Food sales on that corridor were dismal at best. Most passenger if they ate any food during their 2-1/2 hour trip, it was food that they brought with them. Many people even carried their own coffee onboard, purchased else where.

So when Congress ordered Amtrak to cut the food service losses, cutting this was a logical choice. Especially since it allowed Amtrak to eliminate the commisary in Albany.

It probably also doesn't help that NY State gets this train service for Free. They pay nothing towards it, Amtrak foots the entire bill. Perhaps if NY decided to pay something, or even pay for the cafe cars, then food would return. After all the Keystone's don't have food service either, and that's because PA doesn't want to pay for it.

Unfortunately it now means that the longer trains have no place to restock along their runs. The Maple Leaf is almost always out of most food items by the time it hits Scranton on the return trip. When the commisary still existed in ALB, at least one could get dinner upon departure from ALB, even if it was a late one.

On my recent trip home from Toronto, I had dinner about 5:00 PM and my dinner was the breakfast sandwich, because I didn't want the only other choice he had left. :eek:

I read just recently elsewhere that the discontinuation of food service on Empire trains was because NY State wanted to use private contractors, the unions fired back wanting to save jobs, and somehow in the shuffle the food service got cut entirely.

No, that's not entirely correct.

Food service had already gone bye-bye on ALB-NYP trains. The State then decided to try contracting out food service and picked Subway Resturants to run the service. That lasted maybe 2 or 3 days at most, before the protests by unions shut it down.

people running around in flip flops. I don't want to hear the flip flopping of the shoes, I don't want to smell your feet, I don't want to look at your feet and I don't think they are safe on a train.

No, that's not entirely correct.

Food service had already gone bye-bye on ALB-NYP trains. The State then decided to try contracting out food service and picked Subway Resturants to run the service. That lasted maybe 2 or 3 days at most, before the protests by unions shut it down.
One correction: the experiment using Subway as a food service contractor on the Empire Service was initiated by Amtrak. The State of New York was not involved. The program was the idea of then Amtrak Vice President of Marketing and Sales, Barbara Richardson. Subway paid Amtrak to lease space in the cafe car, and then was responsible to cater and staff the car. The program got a good response from passengers.

To say the Amtrak unions "protested" is to be kind. The issue was actual threats and intimidation to the Subway workers, many of whom were teenagers. They scared those kids to death. Amtrak decided to pull the plug on the program rather than go to the mat with the unions over this issue.

I also have to qualify the statement that the State of New York gets the Empire Service for free. The reason the Empire Service trains are Amtrak funded is that the service dates back to Amtrak Day One. That is the same reason that a portion of the Pacific Surfliner service is Amtrak funded. However, Amtrak does get use of about 60 miles of track owned, operated and maintained by the State of New York at very little if any cost. So, the state does contribute to the Empire Service in a sort of back door manner.

Unfortunately it now means that the longer trains have no place to restock along their runs. The Maple Leaf is almost always out of most food items by the time it hits Scranton on the return trip. When the commisary still existed in ALB, at least one could get dinner upon departure from ALB, even if it was a late one.

On my recent trip home from Toronto, I had dinner about 5:00 PM and my dinner was the breakfast sandwich, because I didn't want the only other choice he had left. :eek:
The sad part of this is they could put a locked freezer somewhere in the Albany station with emergency re-fills. The tourist lines even have freezers in some of their baggage/power cars. If Amtrak wanted to bolster sales I would think day after day sell outs would induce them to do something besides watching people having to eat breakfast for dinner :unsure:

P.S. Does the Maple Leaf go through Scranton, PA ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back