PDX closes bathrooms 2 1/2 hours before station itself closes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've often wondered why Portland and Seattle have so many Homeless people what with the Cold and damp winters?

When we were in Seattle for the Gathering in 2011 I noticed that there were several "Missions" that fed and sheltered them. Possibly Portland has the same set up?

Also both Cities have a reputation for being Liberal Cities that attract runaways, the young etc. (unlike Phoenix, Dallas etc.that don't want any poor and unfortunate people around.)

My City of Austin also has the same situation but it's Warm in Austin in the Winter.( Of course with the gentrification of downtown in full speed they are trying to run the homeless and Street people out of the Downtown area but the Nimbys in tbe burbs and neighborhoods don't want them there!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eugene holds the record for homeless folks. I am not bashing these people, just making a statement. EUG does worry and cares for the homeless. I was downtown close one night and walked over the station as the Cascades came in. The station was locked up tight and Agents were passing baggage track side. A later Cascades comes in and there is no reason to use the station then, either. No restrooms close by. I can pretty much understand the issues at PDX. Cabs are waiting as are folks picking up pax. People hanging out are not Amtrak pax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back