OMG- I have flown again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
Since 2005, I have taken the train, even when more expensive or inconvenient. This weekend, I fly Alaska Air SPK-SEA RT in first. About the same cost as a bedroom. Was a fun diversion.

FLYING?
huh.gif
That's rules for automatic dismissal from AU!
mosking.gif

But we'll forgive you this time!
laugh.gif
(You were probably thinking HSR started early at the time!
tongue.gif
)

Since 2005, I have taken the train, even when more expensive or inconvenient. This weekend, I fly Alaska Air SPK-SEA RT in first. About the same cost as a bedroom. Was a fun diversion.
:eek: Even though youre going FC, it's not the same as Breakfast and Dinner in the Diner and a drink in the Lounge! Plus no Double AGR Points! Im surprised John! :rolleyes:

FLYING?
huh.gif
That's rules for automatic dismissal from AU!
mosking.gif

But we'll forgive you this time!
laugh.gif
(You were probably thinking HSR started early at the time!
tongue.gif
)
Sorry, mea culpa,; delete all my 2,093 posts. LOL
John, don't worry. Every year I take a long-distance Amtrak trip with my uncle, who lives between Bloomington and Champaign, IL. We always begin our trips from his end, and that involves my flying to Illinois, since I don't have enough time to take the train there. A couple of years ago, I made a trip by air to Bloomington that looks like one of the Traveler's AGR trips: Spokane to Seattle to Atlanta to Bloomington. If that trip by itself didn't get me booted, nothing will. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every year I take a long-distance Amtrak trip with my uncle, who lives between Bloomington and Champaign, IL. We always begin our trips from his end, and that involves my flying to Illinois, since I don't have enough time to take the train there. A couple of years ago, I made a trip by air to Bloomington that looks like one of the Traveler's AGR trips: Spokane to Seattle to Atlanta to Bloomington. If that trip by itself didn't get me booted, nothing will. :lol: :lol: :lol:
In my younger (stupider) days, I flew from Boston, MA to Albany, NY - about 150 miles - via SAN and LAX (the airports)!
laugh.gif
(I also combined it with a trip between SAN and LAX [the train stations] on Amtrak!
mosking.gif
)

I guess I am getting banished too, I just got off a SWA flight PHX-SEA. If ONLY I could take the train between here & there.

I just flew to and from Cayman Islands. I don't think there have ever been any train (or proposed trains) that could take me there. Love Cayman.

I have to admit though, that I have found it slightly funny that a site dedicated to passenger rail travel regularly has Alaska Airlines on the header.

I have to admit that in 1972 in got religion!

From 1968 up to 1972 I was an FAA licensed aircraft mechanic, airframe and powerplant rated. My aviation career was ended by Nixonomics. I worked for 4 different companies in 4 years.

In 1972 I went to work for the PC railroad at their 12th st coach yard on Amtrak trains. In May of 1973 I left the PC to take a job directly with Amtrak. Almost 37 years later I left Amtrak.

Now I will not fly if I can avoid it, my personal motto is "If you fly you can die, use your brain take the train."

I just flew to and from Cayman Islands. I don't think there have ever been any train (or proposed trains) that could take me there. Love Cayman.
That's the last place I flew (several years ago). Before that, it was Las Vegas at Thanksgiving in 2009 (and I did try to do that by train, but the combination of needing three days to get there plus the lengthy Ambus sort of killed the deal).

That's the last place I flew (several years ago). Before that, it was Las Vegas at Thanksgiving in 2009 (and I did try to do that by train, but the combination of needing three days to get there plus the lengthy Ambus sort of killed the deal).

I fly 60,000 + miles a year. Before that, spent 8 years flying in the Air Force, over 2500 flight hours in a C-130 all over the world. Planes aren't evil, they get you there fast, efficient, and they go damn near anywhere. Planes keep America running, I couldn't do what I do, without aircraft....and I work for a RR!

Last edited by a moderator:

I fly 60,000 + miles a year. Before that, spent 8 years flying in the Air Force, over 2500 flight hours in a C-130 all over the world. Planes aren't evil, they get you there fast, efficient, and they go damn near anywhere. Planes keep America running, I couldn't do what I do, without aircraft....and I work for a RR!
I'm going to second the thought below yours. Planes aren't evil, it's the airline industry. For that matter, if I could get a respectable meal en route short of an intercontinental flight, I'd be a lot less resentful of the industry. The same goes for Totally Stupid Agency procedures (the patdowns and so forth), a subject on which I will reserve my usual complaints for elsewhere.

A combination of unenjoyable experiences flying (having to choose between too little legroom and a footrest or plenty of legroom but no footrest jumps to mind, as does any time I've had to deal with airport security...to say nothing, of course, about Customs plus security coming back into the US one time...let me put it this way, the connection was close enough I was pondering whether I was going to end up renting a car out of Charlotte), bad stories about flying, and good experiences with Amtrak

There's also, if we're all being honest, the fact that the airline industry has been the biggest threat to long distance rail travel that there is. On a certain level, the airline industry presents a looming, existential threat to everything outside of short/regional corridors. I feel a distinct desire not to give them any money that can go into their lobbying efforts.

I fly over 75,000 miles a year and travel Over 15,000 miles by Amtrak a year. So I guess I am an equal opportunity good and evil entity :)

Right now I am sitting in a lie flat bed seat in BusinessFirst on a United/Continental flight ready to depart from Frankfurt for Newark, looking forward to the Rack of Lamb au Jus for Brunch. :) Will be back in NJ later today.

I think people just protest a bit too much about airlines. The real existential threat to passenger railroad is highways, not airlines IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Departing from Frankfurt I would imagine "sausage" also being on the menu?

Never had the pleasure of a lie flat first class flight, the 31" seat space in economy is my lot!

Ed :cool:

PS It is hard for me to start my Amtrak adventures without the flight, but I would much prefer to cross the Atlantic by ship, now that would be something!

Departing from Frankfurt I would imagine "sausage" also being on the menu?

Never had the pleasure of a lie flat first class flight, the 31" seat space in economy is my lot!

Ed :cool:

PS It is hard for me to start my Amtrak adventures without the flight, but I would much prefer to cross the Atlantic by ship, now that would be something!
Like many of you I've flown all over the world and have the stories and scares to go with the same. Now that I'm "retired" I don't have to hurry as much and enjoy the ease of traveling by train and even though things don't always go the way they were planned I've never had any experiences as bad as those that resulted from flying. But flying certainly has it's place and can also be enjoyable.

When I was 9 years old I traversed the North Atlantic on an ocean liner. It was "something" and to do it again is another item on my bucket list. Making tentative plans for next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back