OK Amtrak Apologists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
California Cars are indeed owned by Caltrans, but they are used only on San Joaquin and Capitol Corridor. Surfliner cars are different, though built to the same plans (I think with some minor differences, not sure), and are entirely owned by Amtrak along with all the engines.
Amtrak does not own a single Alstom manufactured Surfliner car. Those are all owned by Caltrans.

Surfliner operations are managed by Caltrans with the actual operation of the trains contracted to Amtrak. So any decision involving additional money being spent for special service would be a decision for Caltrans to make as the manager of the service.

The P32-8 and F50PHIs used to power the service are all owned by the State of California too.
That is not true. Amtrak does in fact own some of the Surfliner coaches. Also, all of the F59s in Surfliner service are Amtrak. Caltrans owns the CDTX 2000 series engines (Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin), but the Surfliner (and Cascades) engines are all in the AMTK 450-470 series.
OK I stand corrected regarding the locos. Would you happen to have a list of which Alstom manufactured Surfliner cars exactly are owned by Amtrak? Or are you just talking about the Superliner wreck repaired ones? Note that my statement was only about the Alstom manufactured cars.

So who makes service addition/enhancement decisions for Surfliners? Is it Amtrak or is it Caltrans as the manager of the service, with Amtrak just executing their decision? I think that is the crux of the matter here to determine who would be the one to decide to add cars or staff to the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtraks in the business to make money. If you keep turning away 1st time customers do to shoddy service your not wining back any returning riders. Adding a car or 2 would increase revenue cause now more people can ride. this comic con happens every year and amtrak should be smart for once and use the crowds to there advantage. during the 10-10-10 Chicago marathon the wolverine had 7 cars instead of 5 and during the stl gathering the Missouri river runner went from 3 cars to 5 or 6 for the beer fest they had. If amtrak can plain for that then they can plain for comic con or any other cons that come up and try and get more people to ride the train. You can't make money on shunning people away. The platforms can handle 1 extra superliner to the PS trains quit making it harder then it is. If amtrak could find out in advance on what dates the con is going to be held then can adjust the maintenance and fra inspections by having it done sooner so they have a couple extra cars to run.
They can handle a lot more than just 1 more car. During the races, there is always 1 set that gets 9 bilevel cars. The consist is

engine

biz class

cafe

coach

coach

coach

coach

coach

cafe

biz class

engine

I understand that since the races start in a week they could've just made up that consist a little early, but it does mean that there are basically none in reserve.

Wow... I love that the Surfliner was packed... this is great news!

An alternative is to ride Metrolink's rail service to Oceanside, then board the Coaster down to San Diego. They have more frequent trains.

My question is... how did all these people get from the San Diego station (Santa Fe Depot) to the Convention center? The easiest way is to ride the trolley for $2. Was the trolley (run by MTS) able to accommodate the hoards of comic-con people?

An alternative is to ride Metrolink's rail service to Oceanside, then board the Coaster down to San Diego. They have more frequent trains.

My question is... how did all these people get from the San Diego station (Santa Fe Depot) to the Convention center? The easiest way is to ride the trolley for $2. Was the trolley (run by MTS) able to accommodate the hoards of comic-con people?
The trolley is actually $2.50, but I bet you most people walked.

And Coaster is not more frequent. They have 11 RTs a day. Amtrak has 11. But the Coasters do not operate after the evening rush hour (baseball trains excluded) and so anyody wanting to leave LA after the 5:00ish would be SOL.

Hi, I have never understood myself why Amtrak/Surfliner etc staff only open one or two train doors, in most of the world we are treated as adults, not sheep, who can enter and leave through any available train door without needing the slightest heavy handed supervision.

It might be good if organisers of events co-operated by notifying Amtrak of large crowds, and both then made a joint effort to serve the customers well. We are rail fans on this site, but encouraging new customers to ride the train by misleading positive, "It's never Amtrak's fault" responses is just as bad as being unjustly negative. Lets try to be honest and open! Ed
Keep in mind that the doors on American trains are uniquely complicated and dangerous by design.

The trolley is actually $2.50, but I bet you most people walked.

And Coaster is not more frequent. They have 11 RTs a day. Amtrak has 11. But the Coasters do not operate after the evening rush hour (baseball trains excluded) and so anyody wanting to leave LA after the 5:00ish would be SOL.
Wow. It took 50 posts to even bring up Metrolink and Coaster. California's problem, California's problem to fix.

Here are my observations:

Amtrak should have seen the number of unreserved ticket sales, and in conjunction with statistics from previous years, planned accordingly.

Amtrak should not sell more than 200% (or some other rational number) of unreserved capacity for any given day.

Metrolink and Coaster are just as culpable for not adding capacity, though adding trains could be a problem with the track owners. However, if Metrolink stops running after 5 pm, those trainsets should be available for lease from Amtrak. SOMEONE can make SOME arrangement with SOMEONE. Quite frankly, I don't know why Metrolink and Coaster don't partner up. Their capacity is much higher, and it would be nothing but a thing to get 10-car trains running back and forth. This is really a California & San Diego Visitors and Connections Bureau issue. They are the ones who should be doing the negotiating, with the host railroads, Amtrak, Metrolink, Coaster, the City, etc.

Finally, after growing up in Japan and riding extremely crowded trains daily for three years, I can tell you that I don't have a lot of sympathy for folks getting

. ;)

I believe one of the chief differences between the northern corridor cars and the southern (Surfliner) cars are that in the Surfliner, or second, batch, all of the cafe's have the cafe itself on the bottom. The first batch had them on top. Not many other differences. I know that there aren't any upstairs cafes on the PacSurf, but I'm not sure either of whether there are any downstairs cafes on the Cap and the SJ. While I believe that almost all of the California Cars in general are Caltrans-owned, I will not make this statement without admitting I don't know so as not to be ridiculed. I do not one bit consider myself an Amtrak apologist, but these people here are going through what MANY go through every day on 784 and 785, and I don't hear so many complaints about those trains being thrown around. If the 7:30 was that bad though, I can't possibly seem to fathom how it must have been on 784. At least it was bilevel, but geez. Seriously though, there is not that much equip to spare at all.
Well Johnny you you are spot on with your assessment. As a regular on the 785/589 I see standing room conditions very often. Actually its been that way almost EVERY Friday for as long as I've been riding. I have heard many angry people complaining but that's the way it goes. You can take the train or wait for the next one. Some days the train is so packed and overbooked, some Biz Class people were relocated to the Cafe car. Another time it was packed like a sardine can that I estimated 30 people standing on the first floor of the cafe all the way to LAX with 10-15 sitting on the floor or luggage by the door.

I talk to the crew frequently and they have said they spoke to their managers about more equipment and more conductors. Sometimes they have 1 conductor and 2 assist. conductors and they alone have trouble handling the crowds. Do they get what is requested? Very rarely and if they do, it takes a long time (blame management not the grunts).

Since the Surfliner is managed by CalTrans, its pretty much their call, as additional crews cost money. Its not very hard to get extra crew especially at LA. Who's going to pay for that? Amtrak or CalTrans. Since the state budget is all wacky, I guess nobody want to be blamed for spending too much.

However since it says Amtrak on the side, they will always be a puncihng bag whatever is wrong, whether its their fault or not. Also CalTrans from time to time has their managers/reps ride the train to see the conditions for themselves. I rarely see any changes after their visits. However when the CalTrans people come to hand out surveys, I always fill them out with the comment "add more equipment!!!". Do we know that Amtrak approached CalTrans for adding more runs, crews or equipment? Who knows.

Equipment

According to the Amtrak Fleet Strategy Plan there are 49 Surfliner cars, 39 owned by Amtrak and 10 owned by the state of CA.

I'm sure if there was spare equipment sitting around unused, the yard could add them to existing trainsets. Really there's not much if any spare equipment sitting at the LA yard awaiting their next assignment. There is a MAJOR shortage of equipment right now. They are short cars (OOS for repairs or maintenance) and locomotives. I'm sure they can "borrow" Superliners from the SL but they would have to be returned before the SL leaves, not an ideal situation. Since its the summer travel season. I doubt other yards have spare cars or they would be here right now.

Trains that come to LA are serviced then sent to its next assignment. One time the equipment situation was so dire that we had a Sightseer Lounge and a CCC substituted when the Cafe cars broke. Heard they "borrowed" them off the Chief. Then some equipment does get sent out for repair/refurbishment at Beech Groove. It happens frequently during the summer in anticipation of the Thanksgiving holiday. If cars are refurbished they return, all ready to go except the yard crews have to install the seats!!! Hmmmm service the cars or install seats? Won't be the first time it happened.

Someone mentioned leasing equipment from other agencies. I'm sure under extenuating circumstances Amtrak could borrow/lease/rent a set of equipment from Metrolink (SCRRA). Its happened before and I remember riding a Amtrak train using Metrolink equipment. However since Metrolink is commuter rail, I doubt they have a spare set sitting around and that its morning on a weekday that they have a set sitting around.

Amtrak should not sell more than 200% (or some other rational number) of unreserved capacity for any given day.
That's not possible to do with the way Amtrak does unreserved service. Unreserved tickets are not date/train specific. They are valid on any unreserved train in either direction within the validity period of the ticket (which is often up to one year from the date of the ticket sale).

Wow. It took 50 posts to even bring up Metrolink and Coaster. California's problem, California's problem to fix.
Yup, its the states problem.

Metrolink and Coaster are just as culpable for not adding capacity, though adding trains could be a problem with the track owners. However, if Metrolink stops running after 5 pm, those trainsets should be available for lease from Amtrak. SOMEONE can make SOME arrangement with SOMEONE. Quite frankly, I don't know why Metrolink and Coaster don't partner up. Their capacity is much higher, and it would be nothing but a thing to get 10-car trains running back and forth. This is really a California & San Diego Visitors and Connections Bureau issue. They are the ones who should be doing the negotiating, with the host railroads, Amtrak, Metrolink, Coaster, the City, etc.
Finally, after growing up in Japan and riding extremely crowded trains daily for three years, I can tell you that I don't have a lot of sympathy for folks getting

I'm sure Metrolink can loan equipment or make additional runs to Orange County. Question is, who wants to pay for it? There is already a measly Metrolink schedule on the Orange County line. Metrolink will gladly run more trains, does the Orange County Transportation Authority want to pay for it? Nothing comes for free.

Also not all trains that call at LAX are done for the day. Most come into LAX to drop off and then pick up new passengers for a different route. Its not there is equipment sitting at LAX with noting to do.

10 car trains? The conductor would need to double spot the trainset at almost every stop. It would be very inefficient and time consuming to do. The longest Metrolink consist is 6 cars and that is max that some stations in Orange County can handle.

I have not seen any advertising for taking Amtrak to SD or even for the event itself. I'm sure those who go each year are aware of it but not the general public.

I do understand, as noted by others, that it does say Amtrak on the side of the train and on the ticket. But the simple reality is that Caltrans controls everything, right down the menu in the cafe car; not Amtrak.

Amtrak cannot:

1) Decide to add extra cars

2) Add extra crew

3) Put coach attendants on the trains, something that they do not currently have

4) Run extra trains

5) Decide to go to reserved seating, from the normal unreserved

6) Raise prices

7) Change the menu

Without permission from Caltrans.

OK, we've successfully managed to push yet another complaint off of Amtrak and onto another agency.

Amtrak: 1 Solutions: 0
Well then, what do you propose?

Amtrak can't add cars without Caltran's permission. Caltrans won't pay the bill if Amtrak does it without permission. And Amtrak cannot incur debt on State sponsored trains anymore. So what's the solution. Amtrak managers show up at Caltrans with guns and hold them hostage until they agree to pay for extra cars?

It's not a matter of trying to pass blame. It's reality! Short of pleading with Caltrans, Amtrak cannot fix the problem that the OP encountered.

OK, we've successfully managed to push yet another complaint off of Amtrak and onto another agency.

I'm sorry, you're right. Here, I'll provide a solution: Amtrak and the state of California should buy another hundred cars from a manufacturer that doesn't exist with money they don't have. They should then double service frequencies buy double-tracking the Surf Line with more money they don't have, and use eminent domain to blow up the parts of San Clemente that stand in the way. Also, the last sixty years of transportation policy in this country should be reversed overnight by a pro-rail pro-infrastructure Congress.

This is an Amtrak forum. Says so across the top. The guest, who is long gone and wasn't interested in a constructive discussion anyway, had a problem with service under the fiduciary control of the state of California and not Amtrak.

What's your solution?

Question: Why the assumption that permission would not easily be forthcoming for such, especially if it was expected to be revenue positive? It's fine to blame Caltrans if they refused permission; if Amtrak never even sought permission, the blame still lies upon them.

Metrolink and Coaster are just as culpable for not adding capacity, though adding trains could be a problem with the track owners. However, if Metrolink stops running after 5 pm, those trainsets should be available for lease from Amtrak. SOMEONE can make SOME arrangement with SOMEONE. Quite frankly, I don't know why Metrolink and Coaster don't partner up. Their capacity is much higher, and it would be nothing but a thing to get 10-car trains running back and forth.
Metrolink and Coaster have been working on doing some some joint trains (though it does appear that the agencies will remain separate). In addition to having more timed connections at Oceanside, there should be some LA-SD commuter trains later this year or early next year. That will likely suck up a lot of riders who are currently taking Amtrak between Irvine and Solano Beach.

I'm not disputing that there are many limitations and barriers that make nimble use of our perpetually limited resources rather difficult. That being said this does seem like it should be a solvable solution, even though the solution may not be as obvious as originally envisioned. I am not an expert on California's passenger rail systems. However, I have seen numerous other systems that did not suffer the long lived ambiguity and malaise that our own mass transit systems do. How about we start with Amtrak making a formal request to Caltrans. If they already have and Caltrans is unable or unwilling to allocate additional resources due to lack of funding or whatever then perhaps Amtrak can include that information as part of their apology address. Although this change will not directly resolve the primary complaint it will at least inform the passengers that this issue is not being ignored on purpose and will let them decide if they want to do anything about it the next time they have a chance to vote on a proposition affecting mass transit funding or to vote out an anti-rail budget hawk. As for the delay in boarding and disembarking is there really no way to speed it up? If the doors can truly only be opened from the inside isn't that some sort of safety issue? Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm not quite ready to admit permanent defeat on this one.

I'm sorry, you're right. Here, I'll provide a solution: Amtrak and the state of California should buy another hundred cars from a manufacturer that doesn't exist with money they don't have. They should then double service frequencies buy double-tracking the Surf Line with more money they don't have, and use eminent domain to blow up the parts of San Clemente that stand in the way. Also, the last sixty years of transportation policy in this country should be reversed overnight by a pro-rail pro-infrastructure Congress.

This is an Amtrak forum. Says so across the top. The guest, who is long gone and wasn't interested in a constructive discussion anyway, had a problem with service under the fiduciary control of the state of California and not Amtrak.

What's your solution?
Oh I'm still here, Mr. Mackensen, so please leave an characterization of my motives out of your grab-bag of generalizations, please. :) I have been reading with great interest all the replies, from the usual Amtrak apologists (who admittedly span a spectrum from Amtrak-never-wrong to more reasonable types) and those more impatient with self-inflicted wounds.

For your information, I have been riding the LA-San Diego route at least twice weekly for 36 years, from the time it was called the San Diegan and there were three trips daily in each direction, with two Amfleet I cars connected with a snack car/lounge.

In that length of time--three and a half decades-- the number of instances when either Amtrak or Caltrans showed marketing nimbleness on ANY matter can be counted on the fingers of one hand. And I know enough about this line, and about Caltrans in general, to accept the argument that Amtrak is just putty in the hands of Caltrans. Nonsense. They work together all the time, they argue with each other a lot of the time, but the service at the end of the day is a shared responsibility.

But to the bottom-line point: If Amtrak/Caltrans knows of a regular-occurring spike in demand, even if it is only for one or two trains, then there is plenty of time to react--assuming that the managers are thinking like those in private enterprise. Of course there are assistant conductors on the extraboard who could be placed on certain trains, and enough who want and need the extra cash. Of course the cafe car could be stocked with extra provisions (the stories abound from cafe car attendants about the many, many times that the cars go out not provisioned with a third or more of the listed menu items, just because someone forgot or was lazy or whatever). Of course a service manager in LA could be stationed at in the tunnel where the ramps run up to the trains, explaining (and perhaps even apologizing in advance) for what will be a standing-room-only train.

None of this is brain surgery. It requires a little planning, some imagination, creative marketing and a willingness to think outside the government box that too many Amtrak (and for that matter, Caltrans administrators) feel comfortable remaining in.

Again, where I probably erred grievously, and have been doing so for 36 years now, is assuming that government agencies or quasi-government agencies are able to think creatively like private business, because they're going to get paid anyways.

Question: Why the assumption that permission would not easily be forthcoming for such, especially if it was expected to be revenue positive? It's fine to blame Caltrans if they refused permission; if Amtrak never even sought permission, the blame still lies upon them.

Metrolink and Coaster are just as culpable for not adding capacity, though adding trains could be a problem with the track owners. However, if Metrolink stops running after 5 pm, those trainsets should be available for lease from Amtrak. SOMEONE can make SOME arrangement with SOMEONE. Quite frankly, I don't know why Metrolink and Coaster don't partner up. Their capacity is much higher, and it would be nothing but a thing to get 10-car trains running back and forth.
Metrolink and Coaster have been working on doing some some joint trains (though it does appear that the agencies will remain separate). In addition to having more timed connections at Oceanside, there should be some LA-SD commuter trains later this year or early next year. That will likely suck up a lot of riders who are currently taking Amtrak between Irvine and Solana Beach.
I sure hope not. That would kill Amtrak. If that happens, I would actually love to see Amtrak take the SCRRA and NCTD to court to fight against through trains. It would murder Amtrak California and the Surfliner patronage. I'm perfectly fine with timed transfers that cost less, and I know I'll hear blowback from people about the court money but seriously it wouldn't be more than they would lose over the long term. I'm fine with what Metrolink did last year, running a 10 car train down the OC Line to SOlana Beach on the weekends for the races. The downside was that they parked on Track 2 all day and that made a few trains wait, but it's not a big deal. I'm sure that they must have paid NCTD something for that. The RT price from anywhere (LA, Fullerton, Anaheim, etc. all the way to OSD) down to Solana was $28, which is one dollar less than a one-way ticket on Amtrak LAX-SOL! I was almost tempted to just cancel my Amtrak ticket and buy a Metrolink to SOL, then not get back on for the next part of the RT. Anyway, I WILL murder if Metrolink starts taking more of Amtrak California's precious money.

I believe one of the chief differences between the northern corridor cars and the southern (Surfliner) cars are that in the Surfliner, or second, batch, all of the cafe's have the cafe itself on the bottom. The first batch had them on top. Not many other differences. I know that there aren't any upstairs cafes on the PacSurf, but I'm not sure either of whether there are any downstairs cafes on the Cap and the SJ. While I believe that almost all of the California Cars in general are Caltrans-owned, I will not make this statement without admitting I don't know so as not to be ridiculed. I do not one bit consider myself an Amtrak apologist, but these people here are going through what MANY go through every day on 784 and 785, and I don't hear so many complaints about those trains being thrown around. If the 7:30 was that bad though, I can't possibly seem to fathom how it must have been on 784. At least it was bilevel, but geez. Seriously though, there is not that much equip to spare at all.
According to the Amtrak Fleet Strategy Plan there are 49 Surfliner cars, 39 owned by Amtrak and 10 owned by the state of CA.
Cool. That makes a lot of sense. That means for the 8 sets that SHOULD be Surfliner, there would be about 4-5 owned by Amtrak (biz class, cafe, bag-coach, then one or two other coaches) and 1 for each set of a CA-owned refurbed Superliner coach. Meaning all 5 or 6 car trains, which is what we have. Even though there might be two single levels going around, I sure have not seen a beef up in consist.

This forum seems pretty well divided into two groups: those who like riding on trains - for all their shortcomings - and those that mostly complain about them.
You don't really believe that do you? Even when the topic is a snafu, the range of responses is a lot more sophisticated than that.

I sure hope not. That would kill Amtrak. If that happens, I would actually love to see Amtrak take the SCRRA and NCTD to court to fight against through trains. It would murder Amtrak California and the Surfliner patronage.
I'm not sure that it would really kill Surfliner ridership; it would be about a 3.5 hour trip on quite uncomfortable seats to go LA-SD. It's that intermediate area that will have a lot of ridership lost, but that's not too terrible.

Anyhow, Amtrak has no grounds for a lawsuit and would most likely be booted out of the Surfliner if they tried suing. They are a contracted operator, hired by the state (but soon by a LOSSAN group similar to CCJPA). Word is that they're already in a bad odor with the various agencies as it is.

We don't know if it would have been revenue positive, unless of course you just mean increased revenue. But we don't know if they would have covered the extra expenses of adding cars & more personnel. And remember, it's not just a one way trip. Those cars & personnel have to return back to the starting point, and will be mostly unused. Yes, if they had a few extra trainsets, then maybe they could have parked the extended consist until the return trip for the crowd. But I don't think that they have that luxury.

We also have no idea if Amtrak was even aware of the convention, but certainly one would figure that the State should have been aware of it. We also don't know that if indeed Amtrak was somehow aware, that they didn't ask for permission.

In that length of time--three and a half decades-- the number of instances when either Amtrak or Caltrans showed marketing nimbleness on ANY matter can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
Yes, there are times that Amtrak doesn't respond with nimbleness, but there are also times that it does manage to do so. Which is why I for one at least question if they even knew about this. But Amtrak adds stops for state fairs in some states. They run extra cars on the Missouri River Runner for special events. In fact, the members of this forum who attended the Gathering in St. Louis got to see this first hand. Between our group booking close to 40 seats on the train to Kansas City and back, plus a major event in a local town along the way, they added a car to this train to handle the load.

They also made sure to load extra food onto the train, and even sent down a supervisor from Chicago to St. Louis to help out in the cafe car that day.

So while I'm not going to promise that they always manage to respond to special things, if they have enough warning and if they can free up equipment, they do try. I've seen it first hand.

And I know enough about this line, and about Caltrans in general, to accept the argument that Amtrak is just putty in the hands of Caltrans. Nonsense. They work together all the time, they argue with each other a lot of the time, but the service at the end of the day is a shared responsibility.
They may work together, but when it comes to increasing costs by adding cars & personnel, that's all on Caltrans.

Of course there are assistant conductors on the extraboard who could be placed on certain trains, and enough who want and need the extra cash.
Yes, there are always extras on the extra board. But it's not quite that simple. First, they have to be fully rested under FRA rules in order to be called to work. Second, you can't just grab everyone off the extra board for something like this, because if you do that and then someone goes out sick, you now have an entire train that cannot run.

Are the odds good that they could have found someone on the extra board? Absolutely! But I just want you to be aware that it's not as simple as just picking a name on the list and calling them in. There are other considerations that must be dealt with!

Of course the cafe car could be stocked with extra provisions (the stories abound from cafe car attendants about the many, many times that the cars go out not provisioned with a third or more of the listed menu items, just because someone forgot or was lazy or whatever).
Save the failure of a vendor to deliver some item(s) to the commissary, this is unacceptable!

That said, at least in the distant past here on the NEC, there were LSA's in the cafe who claimed that they didn't have something because they didn't want to be bothered preparing that item. Not sure if that's part of what you're seeing out there or not. Hopefully not; but I sure won't hold my breath either.

Of course a service manager in LA could be stationed at in the tunnel where the ramps run up to the trains, explaining (and perhaps even apologizing in advance) for what will be a standing-room-only train.
While a nice touch, I suspect that one manager would have been totally overwhelmed by the crowds you describe and would have been lucky to speak to even 20% of the people riding.

None of this is brain surgery. It requires a little planning, some imagination, creative marketing and a willingness to think outside the government box that too many Amtrak (and for that matter, Caltrans administrators) feel comfortable remaining in.
I can't speak at all for Caltrans. But of late, Amtrak has been trying to change that culture and to do a better job of thinking outside the box. Could they be improving faster? Sure! Thinking further outside the box? Sure! Heck, even getting a bigger box to think outside of would be good. But it's also not easy to change things and you can't just fire everyone and start over without creating another disaster.

But again, they are trying! Even if things are coming slower than many of us would prefer.

Again, where I probably erred grievously, and have been doing so for 36 years now, is assuming that government agencies or quasi-government agencies are able to think creatively like private business, because they're going to get paid anyways.
It's a tough thing to overcome!

Just looking at this, it seems that the flaw is that Amtrak and Caltrans don't have a "contingency budget" in place to allow fixes for something like this. In an ideal world, the Caltrans Amtrak budget would include a few hundred thousand extra dollars to cover the capital and fuel charges associated with incidental equipment additions, either for something like this or in the event of (for example) major highway-closing construction or a washout so that they don't have to rehash things every time an opportunity like this comes up.

It wouldn't necessarily even be hard to structure it whereby it is an occasional appropriation of $1-2 million that is replenished by excess ridership on those trains (i.e. above and beyond some measure of normal ridership or normal capacity) up to the "fill level" with the rest accruing to Caltrans' net payment. Mind you, I think this would only rarely cover an extra trainset...but it could certainly cover a few spare cars for a few weekends.

Perhaps the better strategy is to have few Metrolink and Coaster trains run all the way to San Diego and LA respectively. Just two or three trains for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back