Ohio Looking for Train Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's closer than I thought......gas will hit $4.00 soon and that will drive a passenger rail boon maybe.
Actually,

I read a recent article which stated that Americans will not change their driving habits or think of alternative types of transportation until gasoline prices hover around the $5.00 per gallon mark. Of course I'm at my work computer and don't have the link to that article. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I read a recent article which stated that Americans will not change their driving habits or think of alternative types of transportation until gasoline prices hover around the $5.00 per gallon mark. Of course I'm at my work computer and don't have the link to that article. :huh:
Except that people are already changing their habits. Amtrak ridership is up, even on routes that have not added capacity or amenities. Public transit ridership is up pretty much everywhere, again, even on systems that have done nothing to add capacity.

While I know that anecdote is not the singular of data :D in my own experience riding Metra in Chicago, post-rush hour trains that used to be comfortably full -- almost every two-seat bench occupied but you could find a bench to yourself and didn't have to share -- are now packed, where you have to sit next to someone and may not be able to do even that for the first few stops if you board just before departure.

There are a few stations near me that are trying to get $3.99.9 for a gallon of diesel. We aren't so far from that $5 a gallon mark as you might think. I'll make a statement for which you can quote me: We'll hit $4.50 a gallon for premium unleaded by mid July, and hit it for regular by the end of the summer.

Except that people are already changing their habits. Amtrak ridership is up, even on routes that have not added capacity or amenities. Public transit ridership is up pretty much everywhere, again, even on systems that have done nothing to add capacity.

While I know that anecdote is not the singular of data :D in my own experience riding Metra in Chicago, post-rush hour trains that used to be comfortably full -- almost every two-seat bench occupied but you could find a bench to yourself and didn't have to share -- are now packed, where you have to sit next to someone and may not be able to do even that for the first few stops if you board just before departure.
My BNSF trains are also full, even my 4:30am train, but when I ask people why they are taking the train two reasons pop to the top:

1) I don't like driving in this bad winter weather...it should be interesting to see when Spring finally comes on, how many will continue to train.

2) I hate the traffic congestion and this is easier...it should be interesting to see if ridership continues to spike up with Tollway construction projects beginning.

Not one person said anything about gasoline prices! :huh:

I don't think Amtrak is in a position to help right now with the obvious lack of equipment. Besides, Ohio should be funding this all on their own and shouldn't, in my opinion, be looking to the Feds except for some funding assistance to get track up to par.

I think if they look to the way New Mexico chose to run a commuter rail between Belen and Santa Fe, that methodology would be viable. They could run two trains each direction between both city pairs (Cincinnati-Columbus, and Columbus-Cleveland) in the morning and evening and one that would ensure a connecting ride for those making the long journey. You could kill two birds with one stone by not only providing rail transit between Ohio's three largest populations, but also providing an alternate means of work commuting.

Of course the rail condition should be rated to no less than 79 MPH and grade crossing upgrades would be excruciating. If this can be done, the ride time would be comparable to driving - about two hours between each city pair. If Ohioans have the need, they will find the means.

Ok people in Ohio might still want to drive NOW, and if the cities are all auto dependent we have to start somewhere to get them not to be. What about after 5 or 10 years of this running. Developers might start building in downtown areas making it less auto dependent. And this is the way many cities are set up nowadays. I hope more trains will reverse that trend.

Ok people in Ohio might still want to drive NOW, and if the cities are all auto dependent we have to start somewhere to get them not to be. What about after 5 or 10 years of this running. Developers might start building in downtown areas making it less auto dependent. And this is the way many cities are set up nowadays. I hope more trains will reverse that trend.
I saw claims (admittedly it was on the Amtrak Downeaster website) that the Downeaster service had lead development in areas near to one of the stations so people can get the train easily to Boston.

On the gas prices front, a quick google calculator tells me that in the UK we're currently paying the equivalant of almost $8 per gallon... ouch.

Maybe it's closer than I thought......gas will hit $4.00 soon and that will drive a passenger rail boon maybe.
in Germany a gallon of gas is about 9$ that would be funny in the US and no train in OH.... and no other means of transport. But that was the intention of the industries. Build them highways , stretch the cities to infinity and we will hook them to buy our cars and gas..... :blink: :p

Two: The Keystone Corridor does include Pittsburgh, according to the US Federal Railroad Administration. Please cite your sources when posting such things.
While that may be true, I understand the argument on the other side. Harrisburg PA is currently the end of the line for the frequently run electrified portion of the route. Now hopefully, the Harrisburg-Pittsburgh route will one day be electrified and served several times a day as well, with 110MPH speeds! (Hey it happened to Harrisburg!). Until then, I certainly understand someone calling the Keystone Corridor Phil.-Harrisburg only.

As for Ohio, the place to start IMHO is with regional service from Cleveland to Toledo during the day. It's so sad that these huge cities have no daytime service. That route is already used by amtrak crews, ready for generally fast speeds, and has the existing stations to use. Use that as a base point and expand to Columbus and Cincinnati eventually, if everything works out. It certainly appears that when Amtrak builds these corridors (Keystone, Chicago-St. L, Cascades) people do use them, which tells me that faster speeds and/or new equipment means something to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back