NTD Attendee Poll

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTD site planning to attend

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can, I'll be taking the Regional to WAS from NPN. I'll probably head back the next day (the 8th) or come up the day before (the 6th)...an hour or two in DC just isn't worth it.
I'd say come up the day before because most of us should be taking tours of equipment around the time 194 comes in and keep in mind 194 might run late so you would miss stuff. By the time 99 comes in and boards you wouldn't even see everything. I'd say come up Friday and go back on 99 Saturday. That's my suggestion.

I'm going to WAS. My first NTD. Taking #164 RVR-WAS and #97 return. Thought the lounge on the Silver would be a nicer way to "relax" on the way back.

well, I live 30 mins from LAUS. :p
Aloha

Where, I will probably train up from Fullerton
To CHI?
huh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Washington DC for me, I want to see the "Museum Train".

Mini-Gathering!! :lol:

Plan on being in PHL unless I can get the next day off. If so, perhaps WAS.
Yeah! I was able to secure a guest preacher for 5/8, so Laura and I are going to WAS for a long weekend 5/6 - 5/9 and will attend NTD there. When I go to DC I normally stay outside the downtown and commute in, but does anyone have experience with downtown hotels and are willing to comment on it? My plan would be to drive to PHL and train down to DC. If I could find something nice (and affordable) close to WAS it would be great.

I would like to go, but I'll probably be too busy with school to come.

Still, I'd love an excuse to visit my friend up in Chicago! :D

Looks like I'll be heading to DC.

I'll be in early - I'll be taking taking 67 from BOS the night before, so I'll be in at 6:57 AM. I'll be around until 4:25 PM when I'm taking 146 up to STM. I was considering the Acela, but apparently they don't stop at STM on Saturdays.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with everyone who will be there!

If Amtrak offers Bonus Points, I'll likely take a day run to FTW or DAL or lunch. As far as I know, no train day activities are planned for either city but being on a train is enough reason to celebrate!

It's finally starting to get close enough to ask for some days off for DC. Prices aren't that cheap but rooms are still available. Looks like $600-800 each way for roomette or $1200-1600 total. Easily a $2000+ trip after hotel, food, & taxi costs if I travel by train both ways. Even more if I add a stopover in Chicago and/or New Orleans. Or I could take the train one way and fly the other and save dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars. Dave, I'll soon be looking at nearby hotels as well and if I find anything I'll be sure to post it here.

If I was able to attend, I would attend the smaller celebration in Columbus Wisconsin, seeing as how the service via Madison continues to be postponed.

It's finally starting to get close enough to ask for some days off for DC. Prices aren't that cheap but rooms are still available. Looks like $600-800 each way for roomette or $1200-1600 total. Easily a $2000+ trip after hotel, food, & taxi costs if I travel by train both ways.
If you go via NOL and take the Crescent, look into taking a roomette NOL-ATL and coach ATL-WAS instead. Sure, it's overnight in coach, and a day trip in the roomette. But that roomette is usually cheap (maybe like $50
smile.gif
) - and includes THREE meals!
cool.gif
(The only meal you would need to buy - if you want it - is breakfast before you get to WAS about 10 AM IIRC!)

It's finally starting to get close enough to ask for some days off for DC. Prices aren't that cheap but rooms are still available. Looks like $600-800 each way for roomette or $1200-1600 total. Easily a $2000+ trip after hotel, food, & taxi costs if I travel by train both ways.
If you go via NOL and take the Crescent, look into taking a roomette NOL-ATL and coach ATL-WAS instead. Sure, it's overnight in coach, and a day trip in the roomette. But that roomette is usually cheap (maybe like $50
smile.gif
) - and includes THREE meals!
cool.gif
(The only meal you would need to buy - if you want it - is breakfast before you get to WAS about 10 AM IIRC!)
As usual hate to agree with Dave but he is correct :giggle: about the NOL-ATL roomette, best deal on Amtrak IMO! However low bucket from NOL-WAS is only $142 which is also a fantastic deal for 4 meals and a room in a Viewliner! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some good suggestions guys, but I think I'd rather have the roomette during the night and the coach/lounge seat during the day. Apparently Amtrak has heard of folks like me and prices their accommodations accordingly. D'oh! :angry2: As for the meals you need to remember I'm just not that big of a fan. It's just not fresh enough for me I guess. I really only need maybe one full meal to cover all the calories I'll require while sitting on my rear end all day. :rolleyes: If you see me in the diner for breakfast it's probably because I skipped the previous dinner. If you see me there for lunch I probably skipped that morning's breakfast. Obviously I'm among a tiny minority of AU folks with my rather negative view of Amtrak's food service, but it has lasted for many years now and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Amtrak's food has never made me sick though, so at least it has that going for it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably going to be DC...I may go "all out" and take the Meteor up and back from RVR. That'd be a long day, but between the better service available and whatnot, and I'll shoot for the Meteor in the evening either way, but if I'm going to trot up to DC I'm going to shoot for the best trains I can get.

Those are some good suggestions guys, but I think I'd rather have the roomette during the night and the coach/lounge seat during the day. Apparently Amtrak has heard of folks like me and prices their accommodations accordingly. D'oh! :angry2: As for the meals you need to remember I'm just not that big of a fan. It's just not fresh enough for me I guess. I really only need maybe one full meal to cover all the calories I'll require while sitting on my rear end all day. :rolleyes: If you see me in the diner for breakfast it's probably because I skipped the previous dinner. If you see me there for lunch I probably skipped that morning's breakfast. Obviously I'm among a tiny minority of AU folks with my rather negative view of Amtrak's food service, but it has lasted for many years now and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Amtrak's food has never made me sick though, so at least it has that going for it. ;)
Don't worry about the cost Dax. You can't take it with you so you might as well spend it here :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back