Northeast Regional Consist Change Starting April 11th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lynchburger (176) had the BC car last and quiet car penultimate this morning in CVS. People, generally being creatures of habit, despite numerous announcements before arrival of the train, were rushing from one end of the train to the other (both ways at the same time) as expected cars did not materialize in the accustomed place. They even had an extra staff guy on the platform trying to tell people to little avail. The fact that his message was very garbled - nearly incoherent even if you knew what he was trying to say - didn't help I guess.

On 67 this morning BC and quiet car were in the rear. At the low platform at WAS they didn't open the doors of the BC car, they made the BC pax walk up through the Quiet Car to exit. Not exactly the best way to treat people who pay a premium.

On 67 this morning BC and quiet car were in the rear. At the low platform at WAS they didn't open the doors of the BC car, they made the BC pax walk up through the Quiet Car to exit. Not exactly the best way to treat people who pay a premium.
Remember...Only two conductors to open doors (some times the LSA or a deadheader will assist with detraining in WAS, but we're not suppose to (as a LSA, because if I get injured I am stepping outside my craft duties, and a deadheader because they're not on-duty), so you can't plan on that), and there are six coaches. Someone is going to have to walk, and it makes more sense to spread out the open doors for efficiency, that way you don't have 30 at one door, and 200 at another. Regardless, you're still going to have to walk down the platform in the same direction anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember...Only two conductors to open doors (some times the LSA or a deadheader will assist with detraining in WAS, but we're not suppose to (as a LSA, because if I get injured I am stepping outside my craft duties, and a deadheader because they're not on-duty), so you can't plan on that), and there are six coaches. Someone is going to have to walk, and it makes more sense to spread out the open doors for efficiency, that way you don't have 30 at one door, and 200 at another. Regardless, you're still going to have to walk down the platform in the same direction anyway.
Exactly.

That seemed to be the pattern when BC and the Quiet Car were in the front, as well, at least on the Northeast Regional trains I've been on. When I've been in BC, the conductor always had us go through the Quiet Car to exit. I always found it ironic that people who chose the Quiet Car to have the least commotion around them ended up with people trekking past them at every stop, not all of whom realized it was supposed to be a quiet atmosphere.

That seemed to be the pattern when BC and the Quiet Car were in the front, as well, at least on the Northeast Regional trains I've been on. When I've been in BC, the conductor always had us go through the Quiet Car to exit. I always found it ironic that people who chose the Quiet Car to have the least commotion around them ended up with people trekking past them at every stop, not all of whom realized it was supposed to be a quiet atmosphere.
As someone who likes to sit on the quiet car, I never found the station stops a bother in that way. There is always movement and noise with people getting on and off a train at stations, even if they are getting on and off only your car. I think most people (at least me) just want to be away from the people who talk on their phones for the entire trip or play their headphones so loud that others can hear it.

Deni--

That's a very good point, and I agree with you. When I don't go BC, I always ride in the Quiet Car for the reasons you mention.

I just thought the situation itself was a bit ironic, like when I'm in the Quiet Car on my commuter train and the conductor comes through and says "All Tickets Out!" in a loud voice :p .

Has this transition been rolled out fully? I'm in Montana and a little disadvantaged by distance to the corridor to check on it.

In Washington and Boston this also has the benefit of Business Class passengers boarding closest to the station--and the drawback (I imagine) of lots of coach passengers running into the second car not knowing it's the Quiet Car.
It also has the downside of BC passengers in WAS and BOS detraining farthest from the station.
The one thing about that is should you be on a longer ride it's a nice walk.

Has this transition been rolled out fully? I'm in Montana and a little disadvantaged by distance to the corridor to check on it.
The Notice on Amtrak.com stated the 14th it would be all trains having BC and QC on the tail end.

When trains would get to DC and Boston they didn't have to spin the set. So if BC was the head car, take it to the yard and no need to wye or spin the set. That would make it the rear car.

Well, yes, of course, but in the old days, when Business class was in the front, they opened the rear door of the business class car or the front door of the car behind Business class. (Train 67 doesn't have a quiet car to the best of my recollection.) Sure, BC passengers had to all exit from the back of the car, and they shared their exit with the coach passengers behind them. But under the new system, they're at the end of the line, not the front. And given that they've paid extra money, shouldn't they be given the opportunity to exit first? It doesn't really change the distribution of open doors on the train, it just makes a mirror image.

Well, yes, of course, but in the old days, when Business class was in the front, they opened the rear door of the business class car or the front door of the car behind Business class. (Train 67 doesn't have a quiet car to the best of my recollection.) Sure, BC passengers had to all exit from the back of the car, and they shared their exit with the coach passengers behind them. But under the new system, they're at the end of the line, not the front. And given that they've paid extra money, shouldn't they be given the opportunity to exit first? It doesn't really change the distribution of open doors on the train, it just makes a mirror image.
I'm not going to disagree that business class paid extra money and they receive (and perhaps should receive more) extra privileges, but ultimately the conductor makes the decision based on whatever method will detrain the majority passengers the quickest, to ensure an on-time departure. That includes shifting what doors are open based on the number of passengers detraining in various cars.

And as a side note, there is, and has been, a quiet car on 67/65/66, just like all other Regionals. This train use to be unique in its location, but I believe that has come to an end as of now. It use to be the split Cafe/Business, four coaches, and then the quiet car at the tail end, or the reverse. Then for a very short time it was full business class, cafe, four coaches, then the quiet car. Then it went to the more standard approach of full business class, two coaches, cafe, two coaches, quiet car. This was the layout when I worked it last Friday-Monday. I'm not sure of it's configuration now, but I can only assume it's three coaches, cafe, coach, quiet car, business class.

Perhaps there should be electronic scoreboard signage at each major station to show the locations of cars on the incoming train for boarding passengers. With a sponsor to cover the costs of the signs.

Perhaps there should be electronic scoreboard signage at each major station to show the locations of cars on the incoming train for boarding passengers. With a sponsor to cover the costs of the signs.
They have them at some stops, and people still manage to be confused anyway. At Providence we once had someone get on 66 and head towards Boston. She wanted 95 to NY, so she could connect to 125 I believe. And by the time she was discovered to be on the wrong train, and we were able to figure out alternate arrangements, she missed the only possible way to make that connection (taking 2155 out of Route 128), and seeing she was attempting to get to Norfolk, her mistake meant either having to wait for 67, over 14 hours later and then taking a thruway bus from Newport News to Norfolk, arriving something like 17 hours later than planned. Or going back to Providence and leaving a day later, getting in 24 hours later than expected.

I understand it can be confusing when there's people everywhere, but Providence isn't a huge station downstairs. One track was going to be 95, the other was 66. She ignored the directions upstairs telling her it'll be the train to the right of the stairs. She walked past/around the at least six employees on the platform, ignoring the signs saying Train 66 - Boston, and got on anyway.

So maybe the signs would help with some, but not sure for how many. And then there's also the issue of if the engineer spots incorrectly, or the signs are programed incorrectly, the signs will be wrong. This morning the sign I was looking at in Baltimore said Quiet Car, yet it was actually two more cars down the platform.

People and signs. Revenge of the person asked. Know someone who whenever in any transportation station when asked always said "don't know" " Lets find a sign" and would pretend not to read it but make person who asked find out the information desired. Can you imagine the asking person's chagrin when (s)he found was at location ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back