Northeast Regional Consist Change Starting April 11th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a simple fix by having a Conductor stand by the Business Class car stating that Business Class is here and Quiet Car is the next car.
That is generally what happens. Also stations announce the locations. Problem is many don't listen.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a simple fix by having a Conductor stand by the Business Class car stating that Business Class is here and Quiet Car is the next car.
And you think the the people "running" to get a good seat are going to pay attention to the conductor? A problem with the quiet car, at least for me, is that the signage is not obvious. I'm looking for a seat and am not paying attention to signs hanging from the ceiling.
All those signs hanging from the ceiling are not obvious?

Not always. I've seen it many times where they were not even put up. And many times people are looking down (looking for an open seat) and not at the ceiling.

And you think the the people "running" to get a good seat are going to pay attention to the conductor? A problem with the quiet car, at least for me, is that the signage is not obvious. I'm looking for a seat and am not paying attention to signs hanging from the ceiling.
No, because I'm not looking up, I'm looking for a seat. I'd guess people who want to be in the quiet car might look up for the signs.

No, because I'm not looking up, I'm looking for a seat. I'd guess people who want to be in the quiet car might look up for the signs.
Since it is so much trouble to look up or ask where the Quiet car is might as well get rid of it. I vote for that.

Since it is so much trouble to look up or ask where the Quiet car is might as well get rid of it. I vote for that.
I didn't say it was trouble. I'm saying it's not something I'm thinking about when I take the train because I'm not looking for it ("Hmm, am I in the quiet car?"). My focus is finding a seat. I can imagine many people don't even know there's a quiet car.

I didn't say it was trouble. I'm saying it's not something I'm thinking about when I take the train because I'm not looking for it ("Hmm, am I in the quiet car?"). My focus is finding a seat. I can imagine many people don't even know there's a quiet car.
Then it doesn't matter to you whether you are in the quiet car or not. You only care about the seat. If it is the Quiet car it's probably not an issue for you. You abide and are quiet. Same with others. Or they move....

Then it doesn't matter to you whether you are in the quiet car or not. You only care about the seat. If it is the Quiet car it's probably not an issue for you. You abide and are quiet. Same with others. Or they move....
Yes, it doesn't matter to me which is why I'm not looking for the signs. And yes, if I know I'm in the quiet car, I either keep "quiet" or will move to another car. I usually travel alone and rarely make phone calls, so it wasn't a problem the one or two times I was in the quiet car (having seen the signs well after leaving the station I boarded at).

U would think it would make more sense if it's this

Locomotive Coach Coach Coach Coach Coach Cafe Car Coach (Quiet Car) Business Class NER service

Locomotive baggage business class cafe coach coach coach coach palmetto/Carolinian

Locomotive baggage sleeper sleeper business class cafe coach coach coach coach silver star

Locomotive baggage sleeper sleeper business class diner cafe coach coach coach coach silver meteor/crescent
The Carolinian's business class will be on the rear as well.

In my experience sometimes there is a conductor by the QC, most of the time not. The signs are small, high up for many, and dark so that they blend with the car itself. To me, as a QC rider, the trouble is people who don't realize they're in there, don't mean to be, but are then too settled and comfortable to move. They will often "quietly" to their mind make phone calls or have a "whispered conversation" with a companion that runs for three hours.

I'm hoping that with the change they make an effort to better designate the QC.

In my experience sometimes there is a conductor by the QC, most of the time not. The signs are small, high up for many, and dark so that they blend with the car itself. To me, as a QC rider, the trouble is people who don't realize they're in there, don't mean to be, but are then too settled and comfortable to move. They will often "quietly" to their mind make phone calls or have a "whispered conversation" with a companion that runs for three hours.

The signs are not small or too high up. The problem is some don't want to see them. Some ask for the quiet car and still use the phone in the quiet car because they think they are important, (my favorite is I am a doctor or my wife is pregnant) or because they can't resist the vibration. It is pavlovian for them to answer. Also the announcements often include where the quiet car is located and ask passengers to respect the quiet car. Most who make phone calls in the quiet car know they are in the quiet car. They sit in the car because they want everyone else to be quiet but don't really want it to apply to them. Love the many passengers who answer the phone and jump up to take the rest of the call in the vestuable all the while talking while they do it. Conducters don't want to have much to do with it, or wash their hands of the quiet car, because passengers using the phone in the quiet cars complain that they are being rude by interupting their calls. Better to let the passengers in the car shame the quiet car passengers who make voice calls or have loud conversations.

The signs are not small or too high up. The problem is some don't want to see them. Some ask for the quiet car and still use the phone in the quiet car because they think they are important, (my favorite is I am a doctor or my wife is pregnant) or because they can't resist the vibration. It is pavlovian for them to answer. Also the announcements often include where the quiet car is located and ask passengers to respect the quiet car. Most who make phone calls in the quiet car know they are in the quiet car. They sit in the car because they want everyone else to be quiet but don't really want it to apply to them. Love the many passengers who answer the phone and jump up to take the rest of the call in the vestuable all the while talking while they do it. Conducters don't want to have much to do with it, or wash their hands of the quiet car, because passengers using the phone in the quiet cars complain that they are being rude by interupting their calls. Better to let the passengers in the car shame the quiet car passengers who make voice calls or have loud conversations.
I don't think any of us would dispute this. But some of us just don't notice the sign because we're not looking for it, we're looking for a seat.

I don't think any of us would dispute this. But some of us just don't notice the sign because we're not looking for it, we're looking for a seat.
But as an "us" who travels on the train frequently you should know where the quiet car is when looking for a seat. Should be even easier to know with the new consist.

At WIL, I generally board in back of the cafe car...just happens to be where I stand. In WAS, depending on how tired I am, I'll either walk up to the car behind the cafe car, or I'll hop on the first or 2nd car I come to....now I'll have to remember not not get on that soon.

Based on my experience (and we may ride different trains), I find the people who think they are too important a small minority (although, annoyingly, they exist). I know because I am a "shusher." Yes, one of those. But I try not to be obnoxious about it. I say something like, "oh hey, you may not have seen the sign, but this is the Quiet Car so there's no talking" and I say it nicely. And really, the vast majority of these people are surprised and embarrassed. And they shut up or they move. But I hate it. I hate embarrassing people. I guess I don't hate it as much as listening to them yap, but it's always difficult, which is why I fear more people I'll need to shush.

And there have been some great conductors who call people out on their talking, but others who are less active about it, as you say.

Totally agree with this. It is a scrum and then a cutthroat exercise sometimes to find a seat on the NER. Your eyes are at seat level or perhaps looking at the luggage rack to see which seat has a marker above and which doesn't.

My personal preference would be either a conductor outside or a marker on the outside of the car in some way before you actually enter.

At WIL, I generally board in back of the cafe car...just happens to be where I stand. In WAS, depending on how tired I am, I'll either walk up to the car behind the cafe car, or I'll hop on the first or 2nd car I come to....now I'll have to remember not not get on that soon.
Where you are boarding, the back of the cafe or the car behind the cafe are the worst places to find a seat on a Northeast Regional. Generally the coach in front of the cafe and the coach behind the cafe are the most crowded coaches. Passengers like to be close to the cafe. Boarding out of Washington with the Business Class up front the rear coach is the best coach to board for seats. With the Business Class in the rear board the second car ahead of the cafe and walk forward. Boarding out of Wilmington going south I suggest start looking for seats two coaches in front of the cafe.

Based on my experience (and we may ride different trains), I find the people who think they are too important a small minority (although, annoyingly, they exist). I know because I am a "shusher." Yes, one of those. But I try not to be obnoxious about it. I say something like, "oh hey, you may not have seen the sign, but this is the Quiet Car so there's no talking" and I say it nicely. And really, the vast majority of these people are surprised and embarrassed. And they shut up or they move. But I hate it. I hate embarrassing people. I guess I don't hate it as much as listening to them yap, but it's always difficult, which is why I fear more people I'll need to shush.

And there have been some great conductors who call people out on their talking, but others who are less active about it, as you say.

Totally agree with this. It is a scrum and then a cutthroat exercise sometimes to find a seat on the NER. Your eyes are at seat level or perhaps looking at the luggage rack to see which seat has a marker above and which doesn't.

My personal preference would be either a conductor outside or a marker on the outside of the car in some way before you actually enter.
Pretty often there is a crew member outside the car but the crew has many tasks and too few crew members to be there during the whole passenger boarding. Since the consists change there are not dedicated Quiet Cars. So no markings on the outside like on Acela. On Acela with the outside markings it only makes a little difference. Besides outside marking and signs inside, plus lights set dimmer can't say that the Quiet Car is more respected. A lot of people don't pay attention to signs, markings, conductors, or announcements.

Pretty often there is a crew member outside the car but the crew has many tasks and too few crew members to be there during the whole passenger boarding. Since the consists change there are not dedicated Quiet Cars. So no markings on the outside like on Acela. On Acela with the outside markings it only makes a little difference. Besides outside marking and signs inside, plus lights set dimmer can't say that the Quiet Car is more respected. A lot of people don't pay attention to signs, markings, conductors, or announcements.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this, or perhaps my trips (which are weekly) are during non-peak times and so are more often families, tourists, and one-timers rather than businesspeople. Thus, people who are more likely to not know rather than flagrantly disrespecting the rules. The Acela is surely more made up of business travelers, but I never take it.

I'm a nut with wanting real quiet i the quiet car. My experience is that most violators of the rules randomly sat down and did not realize they were i the quiet car. The signage is poor andi some cases non existent. Some conductors clearly announce QC rules whereas some do nothing. I always bring noise cancelling headphones just i case as i tend to avoid being a QC vigilante

I would rather the quiet car be deployed on every Amtrak train all over the country. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

It was said that the transition would last till Thursday earlier in this thread, so that would be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back