No more charters & special moves: 3/28/18 Memo fr Anderson

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a lesser known fact is Amtrak charter train contracts come literally at the last minute. It's not on heard of for the contract to be signed the day of. And this is the standard Amtrak MO that myself, and several other industry insiders have been fighting with for over a decade.

So if they were working under the provisional yes from Amtrak pending contract to be signed day of or the few days before. I can see where Amtrak can get away legally Without penalty. It's messed up because when contracting private cars we have to put out non refundable discounts in advance to hold the car for use.

Knowing that I would say the event organizers for the special canceled with the E units are probably losing in the neighborhood of 10k. While Amtrak loses no money, and can get away with it. Amtrak also can then say we denied it for "safety, or to focus on our core mission" and spin that so people believe it.

In all honesty the last several years Amtrak has had all the cards and they are majorly stacked against us. The new tariff that came out a few days ago includes a clause that "Amtrak can modify the tariff at anytime at Amtrak's discretion" which previously wasn't there. Which in fact means they can raise their price at any time forcing us to cancel trains.

If the price they raise it to isn't profitable for us to run we have to cancel and lose face. And deal with disgruntled passengers again Amtrak gets away with it. There are several of us worrying that Amtrak is going to try a massive increase days before a large charter involving 30 private cars, and 6,000 paying passengers forcing it to be cancelled last minute.

And who looks bad in that Amtrak or the charter operator? Hence the entire industry is majorly on edge right now and we are all trying to find back up plans. Their could possibly be some unlikely saviors this fall of Amtrak does what I predict they will.

For example my boss Tom who tried to run the Susquehanna Trip was running a trip back in the early 2000s. Amtrak had set out a reasonable price at the beginning. Two weeks out when the contract came due Amtrak doubled the price and they barely broke even in fact I think they lost a few thousand once all was said in done. But they had already spent the money to line up cars so they were in a bind. And one of my other masters who wishes to remain nameless has stated all of his charters the contract comes at the last possible minute including while rolling down the track once.

I've already seen proof that Amtrak is trying to run off an established charter operator on the west coast by pricing them out of business. Either by charging an obscene amount for equipment, or prohibiting Sunday trains due to "lack of ability to turn the train." Henceforth Amtrak is successfully running off a very successful operator who has chartered a train every winter for the last two decades.

And the thing is charter operators don't have an effective regulatory body to hold Amtrak accountable to provisional agreements and to manage contracting.

In addition at the same time Amtrak announced cutbacks to food service which then took the advocacy community away from us charter people. Which is a fantastic way to get people off the issue so they don't see how they are running small businesses out of business.

The sad thing is everything I've said is true but no one believes it because it's not how normal businesses run. If I charter a bus I sign an agreement months before I need it, same with hotel rooms. Amtrak doesn't fall in this category. The truth is we need education from the main charter players to be sent out to the masses for the truth to spread.

Instead there is a massive amount of infighting I've seen happening between operators (standard everyday things) and not a lot of action.

The sad thing is if I were advising Amtrak how to minimize Public Relations fallout on charters I would coach them into doing what they've been doing because it's effective and puts the blame completely on the host railroad or the operator. Now potentially a freight railroad in dire need of good PR might pick up a long time operator as a token of good will. That wouldn't surprise me later this year.

Unfortunately amazing people like Bill Hatrick and a lot of my other friends are getting hurt by this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there some kind of insurance policy an operator can purchase to protect themselves from such cancellation's? I imagine if there were, it might be prohibitively expensive....

It never ceases to amaze me just how far Amtrak's mismanagement and general ineptness is able to devolve without hitting some kind of rock bottom. And I don't just mean the recent Anderson stuff.
It's what happens when business / transportation majors are running the show, and not career railroaders. It's happening at the freights, also.

Sadly, LA Rail stopped running single day trips. (If this was mentioned already, I apologize)

Is there some kind of insurance policy an operator can purchase to protect themselves from such cancellation's? I imagine if there were, it might be prohibitively expensive....
There is not. So on our trip we were running we weren't spending any money on car deposits till the last possible second so we could refund you. It's a messed up game the way Amtrak monkeys around with the contracts. I feel bad for the historical society because I know they've lost at least ten thousand from it because Ive worked with four of the car owners with cars on that train. And I know their cancellation policies.

That really is a depressing situation. Let us hope that perhaps the freight railroads might see a way to save the day, and take over responsibility for running such excursion's in the future, as a way of good public relation's... I won't hold my breath waiting for that, but hey....never say never....

The circus had the amount of insurance needed to operate a passenger train. Unlike excursion operators who operate maybe one or two trips a year. Or maybe in the case of 765 for three months in a row. The circus train ran 11 months of the year with two trains.

For them it was feasible to buy the insurance needed.

And who knows you might see one of the most unlikely freight railroads come and be a savior this year.

That really is a depressing situation. Let us hope that perhaps the freight railroads might see a way to save the day, and take over responsibility for running such excursion's in the future, as a way of good public relation's... I won't hold my breath waiting for that, but hey....never say never....
It's a depressing business in ways. But when you have a trip and pull it off there is nothing like that feeling. Honestly there needs to be some major changes to how things work. We attempted to save the E Unit trip by running the PVs on the rear of 42/43 but the organization refused to do that.

Their reason was because they didn't want Amtrak to make a single cent from their PVs being moved. And I have heard that attendees have been asked not to buy newspapers in 30th street station because Amtrak gets a slight cut of the profits.

It's a depressing business in ways. But when you have a trip and pull it off there is nothing like that feeling. Honestly there needs to be some major changes to how things work. We attempted to save the E Unit trip by running the PVs on the rear of 42/43 but the organization refused to do that.

Their reason was because they didn't want Amtrak to make a single cent from their PVs being moved. And I have heard that attendees have been asked not to buy newspapers in 30th street station because Amtrak gets a slight cut of the profits.
Well considering Amtrak really does not wan't to deal with PV's anymore, hence why we have this thread going, looks like your organization is doing exactly what Amtrak wants.

Well considering Amtrak really does not wan't to deal with PV's anymore, hence why we have this thread going, looks like your organization is doing exactly what Amtrak wants.
Not my organization. I work for one of the car owners. I actually understand their sentiment though. Both sides need to come together and compromise. But one side won't compromise. And the other side won't ever truly unify in times of trouble.

Per the June 2018 Trains magazine, Amtrak's notice said '"We must narrow our focus to running a great core railroad: safe, on time, clean cars, friendly service, and great customer-facing technology," Amtrak's notice read, in part'.

What a dumb idea! Actually providing

safe service - only when they don't have accidents. Even airlines can blow up their engines in flight and have fewer deaths!

on time - On long distance? Hah! The only way they will make long distance on time is by eliminating the trains. Measuring end to end only when you have multiple stops on the trip really late but put in a big extra hour or two at the end doesn't qualify as on time but does qualify, IMHO as downright unethical.

clean cars - except for bathrooms once before the trip and washing windows no more than that.

friendly service - only if they fire about half the SCAs, CAs and dining staff. Then they'd have good customer service all around with the remaining good ones.

great customer-facing technology - they need to hire our friendly Amsnag guy to fix their app and web site so they work with a real back end.

To think they want to actually do things like the above? Why? They've been fine getting along without them for 50 years! Could the truth be that the Private Varnish on an Amtrak train embarrasses them because you get good service and clean cars and great customer-facing technology but not the other things that are Amtrak's problems?

I suggest we all write to our reps and ask them to push Amtrak to stop focusing on the things any idiot knows they should have been focusing on as there's not a chance in hell of those things happening unless the house is cleaned out starting from the top.

default_mosking.gif

I suggest we all write to our reps and ask them to push Amtrak to stop focusing on the things any idiot knows they should have been focusing on as there's not a chance in hell of those things happening unless the house is cleaned out starting from the top.
But...that is literally what they just did...

Hard to have friendly service from many in the company when jobs are gradually being eliminated. Management wants no outside distractions, but if all the current employees are doing their jobs, which includes customer satisfaction, and are not looking over their should for the ax, most of what they management wants is accomplished. Technology comes from the R&D group and outside vendors with lots of money.

I must say, to me this appears to be a really weird thread. But then again this is the age of weirdness I suppose.
default_biggrin.png

MODERATOR NOTE: The thread to which jis was referring was merged into this thread. Consequently the post may no longer be relevant. Since it was "liked" several times, we decided to add this note rather than delete the comment.

I understood it. The basis of it is Anderson is targeting PVs because he wants a standardized experience for all rail passengers. And oftentimes our cars are in far better condition, with friendly service, and good food.

I understood it. The basis of it is Anderson is targeting PVs because he wants a standardized experience for all rail passengers. And oftentimes our cars are in far better condition, with friendly service, and good food.
But your cars are not a regular tariffed common carrier passenger service in the normal usage of the term. PVs as such have very little to do with every day regular transportation service. They just happen to require the existence of Amtrak and have Amtrak carry the cars because of some peculiarities of American laws.
If Anderson is really serious about converting everything eventually to DEMUs as Thirdrail thinks may be the case, then I can see the logic of slowly weaning PV operations away from Amtrak. But there are many bridges to cross between here and there.

Booked a ride on the Salsiberry Beach next weekend

Message from Mr. Lowe: "PV's can and still do operate on most Amtrak trains nationwide! That has NOT changed! The set off / pick up locations have as well as the tariffs."

And now the Milwaukee 261 Fundraiser for PTC has been cancelled thanks to Mr. Anderson. As a charter operator and contract worker for many operators I am downright scared that Mr. Anderson and his directive are going to force a lot of good people out of work.

While I am not friends with the 261 group nor was I contracted to work their trip I know they are a great organization and a great bunch of guys. And knowing what I know of the New River Train problems, and Leavenworth Snow Train's being priced out of existence by Amtrak I'm paranoid.

There are hundreds of thousands of volunteer hours going in to lovingly restore these relics of a simpler age for others to enjoy them. And now their work has been for nothing because they can not run. Groups like the 261 are especially adversely effected because they do not have a museum property.

There are countless young families who take their children on our trips as a way to teach them about the past, but also to show them how cool the train is. Who won't get that spark that will make a lifelong Amtrak rider because the trips didn't run.

There are thousands of adults who have never ridden a train before but ride a fall leaf excursion who learn just how comfortable and nice rail is as an option. That now won't be able to ride and learn and become Amtrak passengers.

There are thousands of small businesses like those of Hinton, WV that depend on the passengers coming to their town to support their business. And ultimately their family and community. That now will not have the business being dropped off at their doorstep.

There are hundreds of hotel rooms that will now be empty in cities across America as the charters do not run.

And that is why rail advocates should be fighting for charters as well; because just like the long distance trains charters are an American issue. And often times lead to new and lifelong Amtrak riders in locales that aren't just on state corridors. In the last five years charters have ran in 44 of 50 states at least once.

Charters aren't a small issue but rather one that has contributed $85 million dollars in economic activity to support them in the last five years.

And for people like me who make our livelihood working on these trains we have to keep trudging forward and wait for the axe to drop on us next. As if we don't keep trying we won't reach a success. As for what I'll do after the axe finally drops over my neck I'll probably teach high school. Where one of my lessons will be on how to research an issue fully. So that in the future there will be no Richard Anderson's making choices without having thoroughly researched the effects.

I heard about the #261 trip last night, very sad for all who had planned to be a part of it. I rode the last trip to Duluth 2 years ago and it was such a great experience, partly because Amtrak didn't have enough spare engines so they got to run unassisted. Amazing.

But look, the last thing we need is people yelling out the sky is falling when there is just a storm over head. #261 has only operated Amtrak trips like 1 time every other year lately. Most of what they have been doing is shortline stuff. #765 has run out of chicago without Amtrak. There are options for these engines. Not the same options, and some options might be more expensive and less appealing, but options exist.

Back