newbie question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
This may be a REAL dumb question, so don't harass the newbie!!

Our first Amtrak trip is coming up after the holidays, and I may have already asked this questions, but can't find my old post from a couple months ago. We are going from Galesburg to Chicago to DC to Ft. Lauderdale in January, and then on a 10 day cruise. Since there is no checked luggage in GBB, we are limited to carry- on size bags for the trip.

I understand that there is a luggage storage area for coach passengers for our first short leg of the trip (GBB to CHI). So when we arrive in Chicago, do we check our luggage all the way to FTL? And does that eliminate us having to handle our bags for the remainder of the trip? (In other words, Amtrak will move our bags from one train to the other when we change trains?) Or do we claim our bags when arriving in DC, and then store them at the station during our layover while we sightsee, and then check them in again before we board the Silver Meteor to FTL?

We will, of course, keep one small bag of essentials with us for the 2 nights in the sleepers.

Does this win the "newbie silly question of the week" award?

Thanks!

Cindy

There are no dumb questions but they are the easiest to answer.

You would check your bags from Chicago all the way to your final destination. Amtrak personnel will make the train changes for you and you will not see the bags until you arrive at Ft. Lauderdale.

I don't think you would be limited to carry on size bags for the trip from Galesburg to Chicago but I could be wrong. You should be able to store any bags on the lower level of the car.

This may be a REAL dumb question, so don't harass the newbie!!
There are no dumb questions - just dumb answers - and we give those out free! :lol:

So when we arrive in Chicago, do we check our luggage all the way to FTL? And does that eliminate us having to handle our bags for the remainder of the trip? (In other words, Amtrak will move our bags from one train to the other when we change trains?) Or do we claim our bags when arriving in DC, and then store them at the station during our layover while we sightsee, and then check them in again before we board the Silver Meteor to FTL?
We will, of course, keep one small bag of essentials with us for the 2 nights in the sleepers.
Once you check your bags in Chicago, they will be moved between trains by Amtrak. The next time you will see them is at the station in Ft Lauderdale when you pick them up when you arrive.

Does this win the "newbie silly question of the week" award?
No way! Don't worry about it!

I don't think you would be limited to carry on size bags for the trip from Galesburg to Chicago but I could be wrong.
I think the conductor has every right to limit carry ons to the official limits for the segment where no checked luggage is available.

The limits may well not always be enforced, though.

I understand that there is a luggage storage area for coach passengers for our first short leg of the trip (GBB to CHI). So when we arrive in Chicago, do we check our luggage all the way to FTL? And does that eliminate us having to handle our bags for the remainder of the trip? (In other words, Amtrak will move our bags from one train to the other when we change trains?) Or do we claim our bags when arriving in DC, and then store them at the station during our layover while we sightsee, and then check them in again before we board the Silver Meteor to FTL?
Once you check your bags, Amtrak will automatically transfer them between trains.

If you're also returning via Amtrak, you may not want to check luggage at all during the return trip. Amtrak's idea of a guaranteed connection does not include giving you time to claim your checked luggage. (On the southbound trip, if you have a tight connection, you can always keep your luggage as carry-on for the next leg of the trip.)

Once you check your bags, Amtrak will automatically transfer them between trains.

If you're also returning via Amtrak, you may not want to check luggage at all during the return trip. Amtrak's idea of a guaranteed connection does not include giving you time to claim your checked luggage. (On the southbound trip, if you have a tight connection, you can always keep your luggage as carry-on for the next leg of the trip.)
Yes, we are returning via Amtrak, also. Can you please explain why we may not want to check luggage during the return trip? (From FTL back to CHI?)

Thanks for the advice!

Cindy

Yes, we are returning via Amtrak, also. Can you please explain why we may not want to check luggage during the return trip? (From FTL back to CHI?) Thanks for the advice!

Cindy
Because your train from DC is scheduled to arrive into Chicago at 8:40 AM and your connecting train is scheduled to depart at 2:00 PM. If the arriving train is very late, and it does happen although not very often, you could find yourself running from one train to the next. And you won't have time to collect your luggage, so you'll be on your way home to Galesburg and your luggage will be sitting in Chicago. Or you miss your train such that you can collect your luggage, but now you'll be forced to pay the difference between what you had paid for the first train and whatever the current prices are for the subsequent trains to Galesburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back