New (possibly targeted, so YMMV) 'promotion'

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuljin

Lead Service Attendant
I'm sure there are more polite ways, but few more colorful ways, to describe my usage of Amtrak, than that I have been riding the hell out of it. :) Never having ridden before 12/14/2007, I managed Select in mid-January, and Select Plus in mid-March, and will take my 200th trip this calendar year in the next few weeks.

It seems that Amtrak have noticed, and that I have achieved Select Plus Plus, or (as a developer, I can't resist, though non-developers may not get it): Select Sharp :p

Below is an email I received today. :)

Thank you for being one of our very best customers.
As a token of our appreciation for all of the times you've ridden with Amtrak® throughout this year, we are offering you a choice of gifts. Please choose one of the following:

Five one-class upgrade coupons.

Enjoy a little more comfort on us. To accept this gift, enter registration code.

Two complimentary companion vouchers.

It's the perfect way to share a ride with a friend. To accept this gift, enter registration code.

You must register for your gift by July 18, 2008. The gift you select will be sent to you, within four weeks, to the address listed in your member profile. Please be sure your address is up-to-date.
The very wording of the email suggests it might be targeted, though it doesn't say I can't share the codes; they might just not work for you. (cf. the recent double-points promo, whose widely-publicized code did not work for me). So I had previously shared these codes in the hope they might have been useful to anyone else.

In my own case, I put both (and when I put in the second, it didn't complain that I'd already used the first). I figure I've nothing to lose; even if they catch on and send me neither, I still have the email I can print off and frame. :)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Someone posted the email over on FT, and theirs had another gift option: five (IIRC) free ClubAcela passes.

I guess Amtrak knew you'd have little use for those and didn't bother to include them...

(BTW, I tried the codes earlier tonight, and as I am neither Select nor Select Plus, they did not work for me.)

This looks like the standard AGR elite level perks with the twist that you now have to register to get the goodies. In prior years, the upgrade, companion, and CA (Select only) coupons were sent out automatically.

This looks like the standard AGR elite level perks with the twist that you now have to register to get the goodies. In prior years, the upgrade, companion, and CA (Select only) coupons were sent out automatically.
The usual Select/Select Plus perks are still sent out automatically. These are in addition to those standard perks.

Interesting. Someone posted the email over on FT, and theirs had another gift option: five (IIRC) free ClubAcela passes.
I guess Amtrak knew you'd have little use for those and didn't bother to include them...
Why would Amtrak want to send free ClubAcela passes to Select Plus members? I guess the select plus members could give them to friends, but don't Select Plus members already have unlimited lounge access?

Why would Amtrak want to send free ClubAcela passes to Select Plus members? I guess the select plus members could give them to friends, but don't Select Plus members already have unlimited lounge access?
I can't imagine why Amtrak would want to send Club Acela passes to Select Plus members. They do indeed have unlimited access to the lounges.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the member that made that post on FT was probably a Select member and that's why he/she got the free passes offer.

I'm a select member, and got the email with all 3 options. The presumtion that the 5 free passes would be of no interest to an S+ member sounds right on target to me.

This is one hella hard decision, on what to take, but I think I'm leaning towards the Companion vouchers!

I can't imagine why Amtrak would want to send Club Acela passes to Select Plus members. They do indeed have unlimited access to the lounges.
Except at LAX.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the member that made that post on FT was probably a Select member and that's why he/she got the free passes offer.

I know that the Club passes are transferrable (well, at least they appear to work that way), what about the companion vouchers?

I'm sure there are more polite ways, but few more colorful ways, to describe my usage of Amtrak, than that I have been riding the hell out of it. :) Never having ridden before 12/14/2007, I managed Select in mid-January, and Select Plus in mid-March, and will take my 200th trip this calendar year in the next few weeks.
It seems that Amtrak have noticed, and that I have achieved Select Plus Plus, or (as a developer, I can't resist, though non-developers may not get it): Select Sharp :p

As a token of our appreciation for all of the times you've ridden with Amtrak® throughout this year, we are offering you a choice of gifts. Please choose one of the following:

Enjoy a little more comfort on us. To accept this gift, enter registration code.

It's the perfect way to share a ride with a friend. To accept this gift, enter registration code.

You must register for your gift by July 18, 2008. The gift you select will be sent to you, within four weeks, to the address listed in your member profile. Please be sure your address is up-to-date.
The very wording of the email suggests it might be targeted, though it doesn't say I can't share the codes; they might just not work for you. (cf. the recent double-points promo, whose widely-publicized code did not work for me). So I had previously shared these codes in the hope they might have been useful to anyone else.

In my own case, I put both (and when I put in the second, it didn't complain that I'd already used the first). I figure I've nothing to lose; even if they catch on and send me neither, I still have the email I can print off and frame. :)

Chris
I received the upgrade coupons today; the day after the trip I could have used them :blink: . I must say I'm slightly disappointed that they are the one-hour upgrades; I had called when I received the above email and was told the coupons would be the two-day type.

I also did as Chris did, and applied for both offers; I didn't see the companion vouchers today.

Did anyone else receive both, or all three?

Thanks

Mike

Chris
I received the upgrade coupons today; the day after the trip I could have used them :blink: . I must say I'm slightly disappointed that they are the one-hour upgrades; I had called when I received the above email and was told the coupons would be the two-day type.

I also did as Chris did, and applied for both offers; I didn't see the companion vouchers today.

Did anyone else receive both, or all three?

Thanks

Mike
No, nor will we. We weren't penalized, just not rewarded: People who tried for two or more later got an email that said they'd get only the first one they chose. :(

Mine finally showed up in the mail yesterday. When I registered, the confirmation email said they'd arrive in 4-6 weeks. This was actually 8 weeks later. But, at least I'll still be able to use them in the next couple of weeks.

Back