New Orleans station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
Hello! We'll be riding the CONO in August returning home from a cruise. Wondering if anyone can give some advice? If we get off the ship in a timely manner (say, by 9 or 10 am), and if we take a cab directly to the station, is there anything within walking distance nearby the station to do/see before boarding the train early afternoon? Just wanting to fill the time so as not to sit around at the train station for a long time. Also is there a safe place to leave our luggage at the station if we do go somewhere for an hour or two?

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

Just my two cents~ the Riverwalk is directly behind the ship docks. It is worth exploring. You can take a street car from the Riverwalk to cafe Du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait. There are also a multitude of eateries within walking distance of the Cafe and Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral are right across the street. I would minimize my time at NOUPT as there is not much to do or see other than sitting in the Magnolia Room~ I've had better waits for subways in Times Square; in other words the station and surroundings don't have much to offer except you can see and pass the Super Dome on the way out of town.

Thanks for your fast reply! Your suggestions are awesome...but what would we do with our luggage?

Cindy

Just my two cents~ the Riverwalk is directly behind the ship docks. It is worth exploring. You can take a street car from the Riverwalk to cafe Du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait. There are also a multitude of eateries within walking distance of the Cafe and Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral are right across the street. I would minimize my time at NOUPT as there is not much to do or see other than sitting in the Magnolia Room~ I've had better waits for subways in Times Square; in other words the station and surroundings don't have much to offer except you can see and pass the Super Dome on the way out of town.

THANK YOU!!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like history the World War II Museum is just a few blocks away from the station. I thought it was excellent- lots of neat artifacts and very well done exhibits. When I was there a few years ago they also had veterans who were volunteers that you could talk to and listen to their stories. You can check your luggage for a few hours at the ticket counter at the station- just be sure to return to pick it up in plenty of time before your train leaves. Other ideas would be a ride on any of the streetcar lines, a trip to the French Quarter/Jackson square, or a trip to Cafe DuMonde. (All of these would be a quick bus or taxi ride from the Amtrak Station)

Thanks for your fast reply! Your suggestions are awesome...but what would we do with our luggage?Cindy
Your best bet would be to tote the luggage around the Riverwalk for a quick shop and lunch, then grab a cab around 12:30 to arrive at the station by 1:00 for your 1:45 departure. 3 hours is not much time for shopping and driving around New Orleans, even in a cab.

If your CONO destination is a baggage-check station, I would consider taxiing directly from the dock to the New Orleans Amtrak station and checking your bags. Then you can walk or taxi into the French Quarter and walk around for as long as you have before getting back to the station. Taxis are cheap and it is a very short distance - even walkable in the daytime so long as the weather is OK. There's lots to do and see in the French Quarter. Depending on your timing, I would consider brunch at Brennan's or scarfing dozens and dozens of oysters at Acme Oyster House. But then agan, I'm a foodie, and there's no better place than NOL for that! Also, some neat antique shops in the Quarter.

If you like history the World War II Museum is just a few blocks away from the station. I thought it was excellent- lots of neat artifacts and very well done exhibits. When I was there a few years ago they also had veterans who were volunteers that you could talk to and listen to their stories. You can check your luggage for a few hours at the ticket counter at the station- just be sure to return to pick it up in plenty of time before your train leaves. Other ideas would be a ride on any of the streetcar lines, a trip to the French Quarter/Jackson square, or a trip to Cafe DuMonde. (All of these would be a quick bus or taxi ride from the Amtrak Station)

Infact I'm going to thw WW2 museum today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back