National Train Day At L.A.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not sure if we're going to make it or not. I was kind of hoping one of the Vista Domes would be on display. If we do go, we'd be coming down on Surfliner 774 and back on 775, so we wouldn't be able to go to Fullerton.

To celebrate the occasion here in L.A....We'll ride Pacific Surfliner 580 (3 p.m. departure) to Fullerton...

After the meal I'll be heading home aboard Surfliner 785...

So...who'll be waving as 784 goes through FUL?

Travel light!

~BJG
We'll try to be out on the platform. On the chance that we're still in the restaurant when 784 comes through, could we maybe munch meatballs in your honor?

Still not sure if we're going to make it or not. I was kind of hoping one of the Vista Domes would be on display. If we do go, we'd be coming down on Surfliner 774 and back on 775, so we wouldn't be able to go to Fullerton.
Hope you can make it, and no sweat on the Fullerton thing. If memory serves, -Jamie-, you're a local member who was quick on the draw for the Metrolink wreck last September. And if I'm not mistaken (though I often am), you even tried to get close to the scene and tell us about it.

To celebrate the occasion here in L.A....We'll ride Pacific Surfliner 580 (3 p.m. departure) to Fullerton...

After the meal I'll be heading home aboard Surfliner 785...

So...who'll be waving as 784 goes through FUL?

Travel light!

~BJG
I'll be waving as 784 goes through Hasson Siding :unsure:

But I will probably do the 8485 turn on Friday :p

Latest list of equipment to be on display at Union Station:
Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

Operation Lifesaver Wrapped Locomotive

GM & O 50

Steam Locomotive (almost surely Santa Fe 3751, which lives at Amtrak's L.A. shops)

Superliner and Surfliner Cars
What is a "GM & O 50"?
A private car.
I've seen it at least twice a day for over a year in 'The Garden' (private car yard under/beside the Gold Line) , but didn't realize it, because I, too, didn't recognize the previous owner and number.
I saw it at LAUS last night, parked on 'Track 13' (the first unnumbered track past Track 12), just feet from Beech Grove.

It's the 'Patrón Tequila Express'. Google that and you'll find loads of descriptions and pictures.

2719322517_a0aba562ed.jpg

Hope you can make it, and no sweat on the Fullerton thing. If memory serves, -Jamie-, you're a local member who was quick on the draw for the Metrolink wreck last September. And if I'm not mistaken (though I often am), you even tried to get close to the scene and tell us about it.
One of the first posters, yes. I didn't attempt to go to the crash site though, but I was keeping everyone posted on the goings on here in Moorpark where they were storing the freight cars. One of the freight engines involved is still parked here. It no longer has the tarp covering it though. Good memory, there!

Latest list of equipment to be on display at Union Station:
Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

Operation Lifesaver Wrapped Locomotive

GM & O 50

Steam Locomotive (almost surely Santa Fe 3751, which lives at Amtrak's L.A. shops)

Superliner and Surfliner Cars
What is a "GM & O 50"?
A private car.
I've seen it at least twice a day for over a year in 'The Garden' (private car yard under/beside the Gold Line) , but didn't realize it, because I, too, didn't recognize the previous owner and number.
I saw it at LAUS last night, parked on 'Track 13' (the first unnumbered track past Track 12), just feet from Beech Grove.

It's the 'Patrón Tequila Express'. Google that and you'll find loads of descriptions and pictures.

2719322517_a0aba562ed.jpg
So far, only found one photo from inside though. But from what I see, that's a pretty swanky car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be waving as 784 goes through Hasson Siding :unsure: But I will probably do the 8485 turn on Friday :p
Be prepared for big time SRO Friday - Mother's Day weekend. I will be in 2-3. Sunday should be fun, too.

I'll be looking for you! :)

Travel light!

~BJG

Okay, folks, my plans have changed and I'll be sticking around L.A. for another day or so after the National Train Day festivities. That means I'll wanna take advantage of Amtrak California's National Train Day-related 25% off promotion for the ride back home. Had a brochure, can't locate it, and can't seem to find online what the deal is - how it works. Little help?

Okay, folks, my plans have changed and I'll be sticking around L.A. for another day or so after the National Train Day festivities. That means I'll wanna take advantage of Amtrak California's National Train Day-related 25% off promotion for the ride back home. Had a brochure, can't locate it, and can't seem to find online what the deal is - how it works. Little help?
V321, 3 days in advance, any booking method.

Brochure said:
In celebration of National Train Day on May 9th, Amtrak California invites you to enjoy 25% off when you travel between May 9th and May 16th, 2009. This offer is good for service on Capitol Corridor®, Pacific Surfliner® and San Joaquin® trains and connecting thruway motorcoach services. Tickets must be purchased three days in advance between April 1st and May 13th, 2009. Tickets can be purchased at Amtrak.com, at a staffed Amtrak® station or at an Amtrak Quik-Trak ticket machine. Please refer to discount code V321 at time of purchase
Excerpts from the fine print:

• 25% off the Regular (Full) Adult Rail Fare (typical for such promos)
  • Refundable ('THIS OFFER IS SUBJECT TO ANY RESTRICTIONS, BLACKOUTS, AND REFUND RULES THAT APPLY TO THE TYPE OF FARE PURCHASED AND UPON WHICH THE DISCOUNT IS BASED'), i.e. Low-Season Adult, which is refundable
  • Coach Only (you can't get the discount on the rail fare while still paying full price for Surfliner BC, cf. AAA and NARP, which you can). Probably not an issue for Whooz. :p

Last-minute plug/reminder...

Come on down and out to... Wait, that doesn't sound right. Let's try again:

Come and say hello on National Train Day L.A. at Union Station! I'll be lurking about during official exhibit hours, and it would be great to meet & greet a few fellow Amtrak Unlimited folks and railfans in general.

To assist with location - or avoidance, for that matter - I'll be attired the same as in Whooz That On Beech Grove?? (camera bag, backpack, and all), plus fez; definitely a fezworthy occasion.

Again, we'll be riding Surfliner 580 out to Fullerton for dinner, hopefully some trainwatching, and generally making a shambles, with an open invitation to all who might like to join us. A dome car and some other equipment on display at Fullerton, and the restaurant - Old Spaghetti Factory - is in the former UP depot.

In yet another change of plans from the original post, the Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 Executive Assistant and myself will be rolling into LAUS this afternoon (perhaps greeting BlueJeanGirl aboard 784 on the way) instead of Saturday morning. We hope to scope out National Train Day preparations at the station this afternoon/evening or early Saturday morning or both. Maybe some photo ops with switching display cars into place, plus (fingers crossed) the arrival of Santa Fe 3751, hopefully under steam.

Once I see what the deal is and set up laptop shop I'll update on what's what so folks can get a better idea of what to expect.

And don't forget: FREE FEZZES while supplies last.

In yet another change of plans from the original post, the Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 Executive Assistant and myself will be rolling into LAUS this afternoon (perhaps greeting BlueJeanGirl aboard 784 on the way)
You won't be able to greet her aboard, since (and I got her permission to say so) her custody of 784 begins, not ends, at LAX (i.e. she works LAX-SAN). You will see her on the platform, though...at the north end, past the 'north-pointing' tunnel. With some 90% certainly, you will also see me...I'll be taking up the warm seat you vacate since tonight I am getting my last Spring Promo hurrah in by going home from LAX to GDL by way of FUL. :p And/but while on 784 you'll get to experience what she affectionately calls The Kirk and Joe Show. :)

instead of Saturday morning.
Damn, no shared train ride with you any more :( . I'm coming in Saturday on 768 (always had intended to, and so did you, originally).Oh well, I shall still see you at LAX both today (briefly, see above) and tomorrow.

CHOWDAH!

In yet another change of plans from the original post, the Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 Executive Assistant and myself will be rolling into LAUS this afternoon (perhaps greeting BlueJeanGirl aboard 784 on the way)
You won't be able to greet her aboard, since (and I got her permission to say so) her custody of 784 begins, not ends, at LAX (i.e. she works LAX-SAN). You will see her on the platform, though...at the north end, past the 'north-pointing' tunnel. With some 90% certainly, you will also see me...
Departed immediately after last post, so didn't know that BlueJeanGirl doesn't do the northern leg (GTA-LAX) of 784 these days until meeting both she and chuljin on the platform at LAUS.

Crowded train. The Executive Assistant was doing the scanner thing, and heard about a small pack of noisy, foul-mouthed, and abusive female passengers in Business Class being warned about their behavior, then finally put off the train at Moorpark. No people like that on the ground at OXN, so had to be already aboard. The situation was the first thing heard when the radio was turned on.

National Train Day preparations were just beginning to get under way at LAUS when we arrived. Chuljin snuck up on me while I was getting a shot of a UP genset switcher (EDIT: which will likely be used to move the display cars). The display cars will be on the outer tracks - 12 and the unnumbered 13.

Before departing I had e-mailed the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society - owners of Santa Fe 3751 - to inquire about the timing of its arrival at LAUS. Reply, just now seen, was that it's gonna be tonight, but they don't know when: "They'll probably just call us, as usual." Metrolink rush hour just winding down, so I'd guess 3751's crew is over at the Amtrak shops - hopefully working up steam (takes hours from cold condition) - and waiting for the call.

Fine French dip sandwich dinner at Philippe's, and in awhile we'll head back over to LAUS. More later.

You won't be able to greet her aboard, since (and I got her permission to say so) her custody of 784 begins, not ends, at LAX (i.e. she works LAX-SAN). You will see her on the platform, though...at the north end, past the 'north-pointing' tunnel. With some 90% certainly, you will also see me...
Departed immediately after last post, so didn't know that BlueJeanGirl doesn't do the northern leg (GTA-LAX) of 784 these days until meeting both she and chuljin on the platform at LAUS.

Crowded train. The Executive Assistant was doing the scanner thing, and heard about a small pack of noisy, foul-mouthed, and abusive female passengers in Business Class being warned about their behavior, then finally put off the train at Moorpark. No people like that on the ground at OXN, so had to be already aboard. The situation was the first thing heard when the radio was turned on.

National Train Day preparations were just beginning to get under way at LAUS when we arrived. Chuljin snuck up on me while I was getting a shot of a UP genset switcher (EDIT: which will likely be used to move the display cars). The display cars will be on the outer tracks - 12 and the unnumbered 13.

Before departing I had e-mailed the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society - owners of Santa Fe 3751 - to inquire about the timing of its arrival at LAUS. Reply, just now seen, was that it's gonna be tonight, but they don't know when: "They'll probably just call us, as usual." Metrolink rush hour just winding down, so I'd guess 3751's crew is over at the Amtrak shops - hopefully working up steam (takes hours from cold condition) - and waiting for the call.

Fine French dip sandwich dinner at Philippe's, and in awhile we'll head back over to LAUS. More later.

Did you see 3751 yet? I'm going to see it tomorrow morning.

Snuffy

As I'm sure most everybody who frequents these forums is aware by now, Saturday, May 9, 2009 is National Train Day.
To celebrate the occasion here in L.A., local AU member sportbiker (Mark) and myself have cooked up a little riding (quadruple AGR points!)

and dinner excursion from Los Angeles Union Station to Fullerton, and we're inviting all SoCal AU members, guests, and anybody else whooz

interested to join us.

Union Station festivities begin at 10 a.m. Click the link above for details of tours, exhibits, and other cool stuff.

I plan to ride Pacific Surfliner 768 to be on hand early for all the fun, and will be in and around, out and about, here and there, all day except

for maybe a French dip sandwich lunch break down the street at Philippe's.

Train Day observances at Union Station are scheduled to conclude at 3 p.m., but for us the fun won't end there. No sir!

We'll ride Pacific Surfliner 580 (3 p.m. departure) to Fullerton. I'm sure many of us have been THROUGH Fullerton, but doubt many of us have

ever been TO Fullerton. I sure haven't. So the plan is to ride 580 TO Fullerton, which is something of a local railfan Mecca, explore the scene,

and enjoy dinner at The Old Spaghetti Factory, which is right by the station.

After the meal I'll be heading home aboard Surfliner 785, but of course all can make their own homebound arrangements.

It'd be cool for folks who would like to join us to send PMs to me regarding plans and timing (mainly for restaurant reservation purposes), but

it's not absolutely necessary. Just show up and have some fun!

And oh yeah: FREE FEZZES will be available (while supplies last).
Sounds like fine but sadly I am way too much the wall flower to particitipate. I don't exactly fit in with the tipical rail fan. I love the Spegetti Factory, but now knowing ANYONE I would be a bump on the log. :(

Wallflower shmallflower, Scott. Come on down.

No, Snuffy, no 3751 this evening, and I was just getting too tired to hang around waiting for it. Did take a few shots, though, and have started a National Train Day L.A. 2009 Picasa album, to which I'll be adding tomorrow following the day's events.

Night photography is far from my forte, so I tend to be somewhat more flexible on quality when it comes to posting the results online for others to see. BTW, according to the Executive Assistant MrFSS has a Disney train thread, and the album includes a couple lame pics of what little we could see of it this evening.

We'll be over at LAUS fairly early in the morning, like around 8.

Scott,

While I won't be in LA today, the commute from the east coast is murder, let me echo Patrick and tell you to head on down to meet the gang. Patrick certainly isn't your typical railfan either, and I mean that in the nicest way, but I've never seen a railfan wearing a Fez. In fact, that might even be considered sacrilege. :lol:

But I've met most of the gang that's gathering in LA today and you have nothing to fear. Even if you don't say much, you can still have fun and listen in on the various discussions; not to mention earning AGR points. I'm sure after just a very short time you'll find yourself fitting right in with the group. We come from all walks of life, in all shapes and sizes.

I do understand your reluctance, it took me a while to screw up my courage the first time I went to meet a group of railfans from OTOL some 10 or 11 years ago now, but I was glad that I did and never looked back after that. Now I'm just the guy in the group with all the corny jokes.

So I urge you, give it try! Head on down to LAUS and look for the gang.

Paranoid about camera memory and battery power from all the early shooting, I'm back at the hotel briefly (just a couple blocks from LAUS) to recharge and upload to clear memory. Long as I'm here I uploaded this little tidbit from the morning:

ENJOY!!

Still time to get down here, folks. Headed back, more later.

Still time to get down here, folks. Headed back, more later.
Mahalo for the Video. Gee where was the Steam chuf? :lol: sounded more like a snake :lol:

As to getting there it's loo late for me, the Airline would not let me on a plane without a ticket. :rolleyes: But I do expect to get there in July.

Aloha

Paranoid about camera memory and battery power from all the early shooting, I'm back at the hotel briefly (just a couple blocks from LAUS) to recharge and upload to clear memory. Long as I'm here I uploaded this little tidbit from the morning:

Nice video! It was nice meeting you.

Snuffy

Patrick, Alice and I had a grand day at LAUS. In addition to the hardware on the display, the Harvey House restaurant wing of the station was open (no longer a restaurant, but still a glorious space), there was a large N-gauge (oxymoron?) pike operating, and more. It seemed like a large turnout beyond the normal daily passenger load.

My impression is that it was successful from Amtrak's perspective, too. When I was touring the Superliner consist, I heard others comment in surprise at how nice the amenities were ("I thought only Europe had nice trains!"), and I heard some conversations about taking a first train trip. The sample lunches and dinners laid out in the diner seemed to especially impress people. (Guess we're just a jaded bunch here at AU).

I could have earned a nice second-income by getting a commission from all the people I helped at the Metrolink ticket vending machines. They seem to befuddle people. I also chimed in once or twice to answer questions during the consist walk-through ("The roomette has a small closet [unlatch closet door] here. There are racks downstairs for your luggage.").

I'm sure Patrick will give a full report, but I wanted to offer a couple of quick observations. Thanks to Patrick and Alice for their wonderful company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back