Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not La Junta either. The station building there is not set as far back from the tracks as is this one.

Another hint - both of these buildings (as well as the platform shelter) were still standing last fall....... though the older building is not nearly in as good of condition now.

Another hint -

This is a fairly busy station with trains scheduled both day and night.

Half of the trains which operate through this station carry sleeping cars although not every train with sleepers stops at this station.

RampWidget is correct - Petersburg, VA.

Nicely done -

The 'day trains' here are the Carolinian, Palmetto, and new NEC Regional to/from Norfolk.

The 'night trains' are the Silver Star, Silver Meteor, and passing through without stopping Auto-Train.

My photo, by the way, was taken from the northbound Silver Star in January 1978.

That's a great shot of the pre-Heritage Fleet Silver Star. (And of the station, which hasn't changed all that much). The Petersburg station is physically located in the suburb of Ettrick a few miles from downtown. The location represents one of Coast Line's early efforts to speed up service by moving out from older downtown stations to newer stations out of downtown, adjacent to the main line, or both. Most of these relocations were done in the 1950's & 1960's (Savannah, Charleston, etc.) but some came a couple of decades sooner (Petersburg, Orlando).

Anyway, here is the next station:

FtM1_zpsc0a7cea9.jpg

Thanks RampWidget!

Here's a bonus photo of that same Silver Star just before I boarded it earlier that morning at the old Seaboard station in Raleigh, NC. This was an unusually large snowfall for the Raleigh area.

946065_10200724701656157_1061268733_n.jpg

It has been three days since the last post, so I will post this photo of an active Amtrak Station!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Ryan you are correct. I missed blanking out the sign. I did blank the two signs

on the station building!! Your turn to post.

Here is a Shanghai original photo: Who will recognize this active Amtrak Station??

00eeee2_zps725876ee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
since I cannot post photos, Dick, you should post another one (without such a gigantic hint :giggle: )

Back