Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a stunning appearing station Worcester is. And currently only served by the LSL and a few 'T' commuter trains? Seems like a waste of such a beautiful facility....
It isn't that much of a waste, portions are used for offices, the central great hall is rented out as an event space (but normally open to the public). There is an intercity bus station and a new downtown bus hub will open across the street from the station next Month, MBTA is in the process (and just did the first round) of increasing Commuter Rail Service. The issue is that the electrification on the NEC made sending trains via the inland route take two hours longer, not just an hour.

I also just uploaded a full photo set of the station (over 100) if you want to get a full feel of the buliding.
Thanks for providing that link. Great photo's and info!

I seems a shame that there is currently no direct service between WOR and NYP via SPG.....I used to ride to WOR in the '50's. There were no thru trains back then, but there were many connections available via either SPG or PVD.....
I was up there to ride the inland route last week, realized that getting to Newtonville (a total dump and former Amtrak station in 1972 on the Bay State running via the inland route) was easy from where I was staying and the Commuter Rail layover would be less than an hour. Didn't realize what a gem of a station Worcester would be. It was a long, nearly all day trip LSL to Springfield (with only a 50 minute layover) to the Vermonter. My full Trip Report is here.

Thanks for the info that there weren't through trains back in the 1950s either.

I seems a shame that there is currently no direct service between WOR and NYP via SPG.....I used to ride to WOR in the '50's. There were no thru trains back then, but there were many connections available via either SPG or PVD.....
Beautiful station. Actually, there was through service from NY (GCT) to Worcester via the State of Maine Express which ran through the 50's.

Hmmm....I must have missed that one....did it go via SPG? Even though it was New Haven all the way via PVD, I don't recall anything but RDC's on the Providence/Worcester route.... Was the State of Maine an overnite train thru WOR? If so that would explain why we didn't use it....

I'll have to dig into my 'archives' for old timetables..... :)

Yes, overnight NY (GCT) to Portland, ME (no Springfield or Boston, I'm afraid). Made Worcester at zero dark thirty in both directions, but for this NY youngster who had many relatives in Maine, it was the way to go in the late 40's (behind steam) and early 50's (diesel).

Jesup, Ga.?
Yes, Jessup it is. The pic was taken last May, one can see a scaffolding on the platform, indicating that the rehabilitation had begun. The depot suffered a fire back in 2003 & remained boarded up until last year, the restoration was completed last Oct per Wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the next station...

AHB_zps00b3a55b.jpg

Actually Alan, Shanghai & Archie are planning in Plandome for the Easter Holiday!!

I plan to chat here on Sunday evening and then drive to Chatham early the following morning.

What is this thread about??

Actually Alan, Shanghai & Archie are planning in Plandome for the Easter Holiday!!I plan to chat here on Sunday evening and then drive to Chatham early the following morning.

What is this thread about??
I think the thread was Shanghaied! :eek: :giggle:

That's Selma, NC I think. If I'm right this is an old photo because a public housing project has replaced those little wood frame houses visible in your photo. There is also newer fencing to keep people from wandering off the platform and onto the tracks. Again, if I've got this right we're looking south in this photo. That's the former Southern Railway visibile in the photo. The former ACL main is out of sight to the left of the image.

I was out-of-town (and mostly off-line) for three nights this week in Durham, NC and I headed down to Selma a couple or three nights ago while I was in the area to watch the southbound Silver Star and Auto Trains go through. The trains stopping in daylight hours are the Palmetto and the Carolinian.

That's Selma, NC I think. If I'm right this is an old photo because a public housing project has replaced those little wood frame houses visible in your photo. There is also newer fencing to keep people from wandering off the platform and onto the tracks. Again, if I've got this right we're looking south in this photo. That's the former Southern Railway visibile in the photo. The former ACL main is out of sight to the left of the image.
I was out-of-town (and mostly off-line) for three nights this week in Durham, NC and I headed down to Selma a couple or three nights ago while I was in the area to watch the southbound Silver Star and Auto Trains go through. The trains stopping in daylight hours are the Palmetto and the Carolinian.
Notelvis, sorry, it isn't Selma, but I agree with you - it sure does look like Selma. I lived in eastern NC for a few years and that would have been my 1st guess, too.

Hint #3: Only one train in each direction serves this station, and it's several hundred miles from Selma.

Oh man........ I was 90% certain that this was a vintage photo from Selma and that you were trying to really challenge us.

New guess..... Anniston, AL. (that still makes those tracks visible former Southern Railway!)

The platform shelter at Anniston is of a similar style (and era) to the one in Selma and, like Selma, the station was originally situtated to serve trains on more than one set of tracks. The difference being that in Anniston the station was between two rail lines and in Selma the station is at a diamond crossing.

Back