Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man........ I was 90% certain that this was a vintage photo from Selma and that you were trying to really challenge us.
New guess..... Anniston, AL. (that still makes those tracks visible former Southern Railway!)

The platform shelter at Anniston is of a similar style (and era) to the one in Selma and, like Selma, the station was originally situtated to serve trains on more than one set of tracks. The difference being that in Anniston the station was between two rail lines and in Selma the station is at a diamond crossing.
Got it! Second time is the charm; that is indeed Anniston, Alabama and the former SR mainline visible in the background. Anniston was the desination for my one and only trip on the SR's Southern Crescent, in the summer of 1977.

The station, and the town, is much less busy since the closure of Fort McClellan in the 1990's, leaving Anniston Army Depot the only sizable military installation in the area.

Your turn to post!

OK - Here is something different -

Can anyone identify this station? It is an active station and my first intercity passenger train trip originated here in 1974. One caveat - Amtrak passengers have a separate waiting area within the facility now....... the old main waiting room is now used for weddings and other banquet-type events.

3943388310_7da37d8932.jpg

Could it be Salisbury, NC?

Your hometown is a good clue.... ;)

If correct, let someone who knows how post the next one. I've got to learn how! I have a few ideas for 'stumper's' but can't post photo's.... :blush:

Railiner is correct (based on the hometown clue) that this is Salisbury, NC. In 1974 my mother and I rode Southern Railway train #6..... a day train then called the Piedmont..... from Salisbury, NC to visit my aunt in Washington, DC. Fabulous trip.

Carolyn Jane - from the photo given, the ACL station in Florence was a very good guess.

As Railiner doesn't post photos - the floor is open for anyone else who happens by on this Easter Sunday and would like to post a photo.

Oops. I peeked at your "properties" window whch says "Burlington depot" so I know it's Burlilngton NC (cause it sure isn't Burlington IA).

Go ahead and post another. Notelvis.

I don't consider that a "win" on my part. :hi:

spaceout.gif
Yes Rusty - Burlington, NC. This is another 1800's building repurposed by the NCDOT. In Burlington's case the building was the locomotive shop for the original North Carolina Railroad. Built to last no doubt.

OK - let's try this one. This station is inactive and, I believe, has been demolished...... though Amtrak trains do pass right by here every day -

313853_10200414334177164_1748325699_n.jpg

spaceout.gif

spaceout.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it Sanford Florida?
Ding, ding, ding!

You're the winner Penny!
:) I am not able to post photos, so I defer to anyone.

BTW, last time I noticed the Sanford station it was boarded up. It may be demolished now, I am not sure since I do not always notice it when I pass by since I am often eating and/or talking.

Back