My trip aboard the infamous #6(1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Well, as you guys already know, the #6 which departed on February 1st was the same one that got stuck up in the sierras for 19 hours. Well, I boarded at Salt Lake City, UT, and things kept deteriorating. Finally arriving Chicago, IL tonight 31 hours and 16 minutes late. Below are my reports, represented chronologically, which I posted over on TO's.

-------------------------------------------------

1145am mountain standard time-February 2nd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I write this, we are currently sitting at MP151.5, or Range siding, on the Moffat sub…and have been sitting here for over 2 hours. Apparently an eastbound loaded coal train came through about 2 hours ago with a huge broken wheel and absolutely tore up the tracks ahead. This car was set out at Dells. We have been notified of 4 broken rails ahead, 1 at 146, 149, and 2 at 151. We are only about 1 hour 45 minutes AHEAD of the previous days #6, so my guess is that we are going to combine in Denver, CO and making a super #6 of (1) and (2). This would make us, train #6(1) over 24 hours late. Can anyone confirm if this is a plan or not?

#6, tired and very very…very late. out.

115pm mountain standard time

And still we sit. The trackwork continues, now 5 broken rails account for the total. No ETD’s given just waiting. Snow has picked up substantially, probably an inch an hour and we are still stuck in the same position. At this point, the crew will not make it to Denver as it is anyways, so a mess is already on our hands (again, again). #5 is being held at Granby, no word on the #6(2) creeping up behind us. This #6 should be into Glenwood Springs, CO within the next 30 minutes, which is 1 hour from where we sit right now. I am anxiously awaiting the word on what DS82 will do with respect to #6 (2), and what Amtrak in general will do with this whole situation.

More updates to follow.

#6, snowy, tired, and stuck….again. out.

5:15pm mountain standard time

Yes, we still sit. Track was finally repaired at about 4:20pm this afternoon, however we were forced to hold for #5. Knowing our crew was going dead at 530pm, things were going to be tight. #5 did not show up until 4:57pm, and it was too late. After sitting for 6 hours and 3 minutes in the same place, we sit again, .5 miles from where we sat this entire day. The relief crew is at Eagle, and should be here in an hour. If all goes well and they show up around 605-615, we will head on to Granby where we will arrive somewhere around 27 ½ hours late. Yes, 27 1/2 hours late. The other part of the story that makes things interesting, as I mentioned earlier today, is #6(2). As of this second, she continues to hold at Glenwood Springs, CO, about an hour behind us, and will also go dead before reaching Denver. EVEN if they do combine trains tonight in Denver as I speculated, #6(1) would be 28 hours late and #6(2) would be over 4 hours late! This is truly the nightmare story from Amtrak hell. Luckily, im having fun. Food is starting to get a bit short, and passenger count is very very very light, as can be expected, but overall Amtrak is doing a very good job. My biggest concern is going to be what they decide to do down the line. I DO NOT want to be canceled in Omaha, but id also like to just keep going without being combined in Denver. I think we will know more once our relief crew gets here.

655pm mountain standard time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have just started moving. A horrible accident on I-70 at Dotsero caused our relief crew a delay in getting to us.

In total, we sat on this same siding from 10:27am until 6:51pm, making a total stand still wait time of 8 hours and 24 minutes. Our 28+ hour late #6(1) is headed for Granby, CO. Will post updates upon arrival.

Wow…highball #6

-----------------------------------------------------------

Current plan is to run #6(1) and #6(2) will run within 30 minutes of each other as completely separate trains.

Date: February 3, 2008 23:26

Currently in the station [DEN] as #6(1), will depart before #6(2) even arrives. Should have a 1 hour 35 minute head start on them tonight as there crew went dead at 12am. Expecting our departure at about 28 1/2 hours late.

February 4, 2008 07:15

Currently in Lincoln, NE, Scheduled: Sunday, February 3rd, at 441am, currently in the station on Monday, February 4th, at 915am, 28 and 1/2 hours late.

Date: February 4, 2008 09:10

Departing Omaha, NE at 11:04am, 28 hours and 50 minutes late.

Date: February 4, 2008 14:08

Just took a 30 minute hit for a BNSF westbound at Maxon. Departing Ottumwa, IA as I speak, a hair under 30 hours late now.

Date: February 4, 2008 15:03

Well congratulations Amtrak, we hit 30 hours. Just departed Mount Pleasant, IA at 4:58pm on February 4th, 30 hours and 4 minutes late.

Date: February 4, 2008 16:02

#6(2) Behind us running about 8 hours late as well, still a solid hour back.

Signal problems into Burlington, IA LOST US ANOTHER 30 minutes, now 30 hours and 30 minutes late.

Date: February 4, 2008 18:39

Well this is my last update pre-arrival Chicago. We have just departed Galesburg, IL. Shortly after arrival into Burlington, IA we encountered signal problems. These problems continued across the bridge where we sat for an hour….again, until we got moving again. We just departed Galesburg, IL at 8:14pm……32 hours late, on the dot. #6 (2) is almost 10 hours late and is still over an hour behind us.

Our conductor has exactly as much time as it takes to get from our current location to downtown to work, just a bit over 2 hours. Dispatcher said shes gonna run us like royalty, hopefully we make it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 4, 2008 21:05

We have arrived.

Show #6(1) terminated, having arrived Chicago 31 hours and 16 minutes late.

-Amtrak P42, out!

WOW !!! I wouldn't want to have to step off of that train and onto a bus. Sounds like some of the Miami arrivals of #2 in yesteryears with no snow.

Ya know, if I was in a sleeper, and I had nothing pressing to do, I'd likely enjoy that kind of trip. Were you in a sleeper?

What was the food situation like? Sometimes they normally run out of food when #6 is on-time! Did you have Amtrak meals or did they re-stock food along the way from fast food places? I presume everyone got free meals?

I've got a scanner with BNSF frequency through Burlington, Ia on it, BNSF is still having touble with the signal system this morning.

Overall Amtrak handled things very well. Food was distributed for free to all coach passengers and all sleeping car passengers were fed in separate seatings. When we FINALLY made it to Galesburg, IL, a customer service representative for Amtrak, holding Hotel Vouchers, Cab Vouchers, etc, boarded and began calling people to the diner, based upon their respective situations, starting with those with connections.

A LSA had boarded in Denver the previous night and had gone through the train asking EVERYONE about thier situation so he could call ahead and let the representative what to "arm" herself with when she got on board. Very very well handled by Amtrak. They were even willing to pay my 5 dollar Metra fare to get me up to Glenview, IL, but I let her know I would be fine.

And yes, I was in a sleeper. Amtrak gave me a voucher for the total cost of the trip.

They should have gotten some commemorative tee shirts together: "I SURVIVED 6(01)". Only given to passengers who toughed it out to the bitter end. It would have been an instant collector's item.

WOW!

Thanks for posting all of the details!

The folks in coach must have been ready to climb the walls, but I suppose they were able to spread out given light passenger load.

It sounds like Amtrak tried to make the most of a bad situation.

Best of luck on your next trip!

WOW!

The folks in coach must have been ready to climb the walls, but I suppose they were able to spread out given light passenger load.

It sounds like Amtrak tried to make the most of a bad situation.

Best of luck on your next trip!

Same here, thanks for the great report!!! All Aboard!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WOW!

Same here, thanks for the great report!!! All Aboard!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Me three, very interesting report! Thanks!

But I am writing because I came across a news article on this, but on 6(1) from Emeryville to where it got stuck. There have been lots of media blurbs on this train, but this is the only one I saw where they talked to passengers. Read the article, but most importantly, click through and read the comments Internet readers posted (there are several pages). They're great!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...3/BAM5UR81M.DTL

-meatpuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back