meals included in bedroom, are all entrees free regardless of price?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaE

Train Attendant
I have question about the meals included with a bedroom.

Last time I had a meal, I was in the mood for roast chicken, so that's what I ordered. Plus a couple of sodas. Never gave it much thought. However, I do recall seeing the Amtrak steak which was $10 more than the chicken. ($25 vs $15 or something like that)

Are all the dinner entrees on the menu free to bedroom passengers? Or is there a price limit?

Thanks!

No limit on the meal price and your meal includes your choice of soft beverage and a dessert; booze is extra. And at breakfast you can also kick in a side order of Breakfast Meat if you so desire.

The meals are included, except alcohol. One entree, one beverage (except breakfast you get two), one dessert. Refills are always available for coffee, juice and milk, but I find that sodas can be hit or miss. In addition, on breakfast items, you are entitled to any of the "options", ie: you can get bacon with your omlette.

Olympian beat me. LOL. Glad we had the same answers! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
No price limit, everything is free except the booze. I think you only get one of everything (for example, you can't order two desserts)

Yes, a sleeping car passenger can order any entree on the menu for that meal period, regardless of the price on the menu. Lunch and dinner also include dessert, if you want it. Breakfast also includes a side of bacon or sausage, if you want it. And if you get a burger for lunch, it also includes cheese and/or bacon if you want them!

The only thing not included are alcoholic beverages. Those you must pay for.

Yes, a sleeping car passenger can order any entree on the menu for that meal period, regardless of the price on the menu. Lunch and dinner also include dessert, if you want it. Breakfast also includes a side of bacon or sausage, if you want it. And if you get a burger for lunch, it also includes cheese and/or bacon if you want them!
what I'm really wondering is whether or not bedroom passengers sit down and say "I'm gonna order the most expensive item on the menu because it's free"

in my case, I ordered the chicken, which technically means I lost $10. :D :D :D

I tend to rotate, especially on multi-day trips because Steak every night gets old. I find enough variety on the menu to keep me happy, but usually I avoid the Fish, not because it is nasty but because the portions tend to be small. The Chicken is usually one of the more filling meals, especially if you replace the Rice with a Baked Potato (and you can do that).

The other day on the Texas Eagle I tried the Dinner Ribs and not only were they outstanding but 2 racks of them were nearly more than I could handle-I almost had to pack some to take home to the cat (though I'd have to stop on the way and get a cat).

I tend to rotate, especially on multi-day trips because Steak every night gets old. I find enough variety on the menu to keep me happy, but usually I avoid the Fish, not because it is nasty but because the portions tend to be small. The Chicken is usually one of the more filling meals, especially if you replace the Rice with a Baked Potato (and you can do that).
The other day on the Texas Eagle I tried the Dinner Ribs and not only were they outstanding but 2 racks of them were nearly more than I could handle-I almost had to pack some to take home to the cat (though I'd have to stop on the way and get a cat).
I like the Ribs also and agree about the Fish! For a change on Long Trips i eat the Healthy Choice (Pork Loin/Lentels/Spinach) which has Small Portions but is Very Tasty! :wub: The Steak depends on the Chef but is usually Good with the Baked Spud as you said! The Food is definitely Improving on LD Trains, hopefully the Mica types in Congress wont Kill the Diners or come up with another Idiotic Micro-Managmeent Plan for Food Service on Amtrak! :help:

Johnny Carson was right about Cats: If you want to see one, go to the Zoo! :giggle: (Please send all Hate mail to Managment!)

what I'm really wondering is whether or not bedroom passengers sit down and say "I'm gonna order the most expensive item on the menu because it's free"

I "lose" a lot of money on my sleeper meals since I am a vegetarian, so every lunch is the same goddamned AmBurger and every dinner is the pasta, with slight variations in preparation per train. I would have loved to see Amtrak offer a variety in vegetarian meals across trains, but not gonna complain.. it could have been worse- they could just get rid of vegetarian entrees and then I would have to sit at meals eating just the salad, dessert and soda.

I "lose" a lot of money on my sleeper meals since I am a vegetarian, so every lunch is the same goddamned AmBurger and every dinner is the pasta, with slight variations in preparation per train. I would have loved to see Amtrak offer a variety in vegetarian meals across trains, but not gonna complain.. it could have been worse- they could just get rid of vegetarian entrees and then I would have to sit at meals eating just the salad, dessert and soda.
Sounds like Penny! ^_^ (except she takes Whole Paycheck Sodas and her own Salad Dressing! She does like the Beer! :giggle: )

If we're on the same train, I'll trade you my salad for your chicken or steak. I'll not only throw in a soda but if you remind me, I'll bring along a vegetable tray. :giggle: :giggle:

Jim beat me to it. I was going to reply that Amtrak makes money off me in the dining car also. I travel alone, so they only have to provide 1 meal and for dinner, I usually do not eat an entree. I am a wannabe vegetarian, but find it difficult on Amtrak since I am allergic to garlic and most vegetarian options contain garlic. Sometimes at dinner, I only eat a salad (with my own dressing) and a vegetable. Depending on the dessert selections, I even skip dessert (since I am lactose intolerant and do not eat ice cream or cheesecake - but love chocolate brownies :) ).

No price limit, everything is free except the booze. I think you only get one of everything (for example, you can't order two desserts)
With the Exception of if you want Ice Cream (no Longer Hagen-Daas :( )on your Pie! A La Mode is allowed for No Additional Charge! :)
Depends on who is serving you. On a recent Empire Builder trip, the serve on one end of the diner said ice cream was not included, but the next meal on the other side with a different server, it was included. I didn't order in either case, other guests did. The guest who was refused was as incredulous as the server was surly.

I like the Ribs also and agree about the Fish! For a change on Long Trips i eat the Healthy Choice (Pork Loin/Lentels/Spinach) which has Small Portions but is Very Tasty! :wub: The Steak depends on the Chef but is usually Good with the Baked Spud as you said! The Food is definitely Improving on LD Trains, hopefully the Mica types in Congress wont Kill the Diners or come up with another Idiotic Micro-Managmeent Plan for Food Service on Amtrak! :help:

Johnny Carson was right about Cats: If you want to see one, go to the Zoo! :giggle: (Please send all Hate mail to Managment!)
Those Texas Eagles ribs are indeed good. I tried the chili braised beef short ribs on a recent Empire Builder trip. Clearly a different recipe and quite horrible.

Just to throw another wrench into the conversation (am I mixing my metaphors here?), I'll add that I usually order bottled water with my meal, and also often ask for tea with dessert. I have never yet been charged for the "extra" beverage with dinner. Also, I call myself an "opportunivore." At home, I like vegetables (LOTS of them, preferably home-grown and fresh out of the garden), and I'm a big fan of whole foods (not capitalized: I don't mean the store). But when away from home, I will eat whatever is reputed to be best on the menu. Along about Thanksgiving, I'll be checking menus for my upcoming trip and asking questions (thanks, AU'ers for being there before I will be).

And I do like cats, but I live so far from the train that it would be useless to try and bring any leftovers home. they'd spoil first!

I don't pay attention to the prices on the menu. I usually order from the room attendant and they don't mention the cost. There is another little variable in the fact that two people in a room have the same accommodation fee as one person does. So in that sense it costs more per person when you're by yourself than if you were riding with someone else.

And I do like cats, but I live so far from the train that it would be useless to try and bring any leftovers home. they'd spoil first!
you like cats as in you eat cats? or are you talking about bringing leftovers home for your cats?

confused... :(

(by the way, on a recent trip to Hong Kong, I made a daytrip across the border into China.... a local friend took me to a fancy expensive restaurant... imagine my reaction when I saw cat meat on the menu.. :(

I'm a catlover as well.... after I got home, I don't look at my cat the same way anymore. :D

I don't pay attention to the prices on the menu. I usually order from the room attendant and they don't mention the cost. There is another little variable in the fact that two people in a room have the same accommodation fee as one person does. So in that sense it costs more per person when you're by yourself than if you were riding with someone else.
but the 2nd person has to pay for the coach fare to be inside the room, no? :)

but the 2nd person has to pay for the coach fare to be inside the room, no? :)
Yes, each passenger has to pay the base rail fare. The accomodation charge is on top of the base rail fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back