meals included in bedroom, are all entrees free regardless of price?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always tip 20% in reataurants. No way I'm tipping 20% on Amtrak. Big difference between a waiter making minimum wage and living on tips versus an Amtrak union employee probably earning triple that wage. I leave about 10% on Amtrak.
Except it's wayyyyyyyyyy easier to be a waiter on "land", vs. on a traveling train, trust me, I've done both. Not saying that waiters who work on "land"don't work hard, most do. But you just can't compare the two, I mean you can, but one has to take all the variables into consideration. There have been multiple threads on this, so I won't go into detail, but suffice to say:

• Amtrak's wait staff make a very good wage, for good reason.
  • I personally believe that one should tip exactly the same on board, as one would tip on "land". if the service was lacking, then tip less, or don't, or write a note. If the service was superior, then tip accordingly.
Being away from home for days on end, with limited resources and down-time, "Always on" when in front of customers, can't really relax when off duty (take in a movie, go to a bar, pick up kids from school, cut the grass, etc., etc., etc.) are things that "land-based" waiters take for granted..
True, but Amtrak personnel get a nice down time in between trips. It's a different animal for sure. But for me - no way I'm tipping a highly waged union emplyee the same as I'm tipping a minimum wage waiter.

Guess we have to "agree to disagree". I tip on the service provided, not what their hourly rate is.........
That gets back to the same interminable arguments...would you tip in Japan, where the locals don't tip and waiters are well paid? If you "tip on the service provided", then you must tip the Tokyo waiter, even though it is a culturally insensitive thing to do. And why don't you tip grocery baggers, fast food workers, department store salespeople? They provide services too.
The fact is, people don't actually tip based on the service provided. They tip out of habit, they tip because 'Mama brought me up right'. And they make up arguments about service provided.

Well, you didn't need to worry about tipping on the Southern Pacific beginning in 1964 when the service-challenged executives of SP began putting Automatic Buffet Cars on many of its long distance trains as their initial attempt to discourage as many people as possible from riding its trains so they could be eliminated!

The "lipstick on a pig" promotions by SP called them a "New Money-Saver for Hungry Travelers! In S.P.'s Automatic Buffet Car, you can eat whenever you like, and at prices that pamper your budget. Coin-operated dispensers offer everything from soft drinks to hot meals---all at low cost. There's no ordering, no waiting. And you can sit at nearby tables or take a tray to your own reserved sets. These cars are in service on many S.P. streamliners. Another new idea in train travel pioneered by Southern Pacific!"

If I remember correctly as a kid, the cars had all the ambiance of a junior-high cafeteria--but with lousier food!!!

Guess we have to "agree to disagree". I tip on the service provided, not what their hourly rate is.........
That gets back to the same interminable arguments...would you tip in Japan, where the locals don't tip and waiters are well paid? If you "tip on the service provided", then you must tip the Tokyo waiter, even though it is a culturally insensitive thing to do. And why don't you tip grocery baggers, fast food workers, department store salespeople? They provide services too.
The fact is, people don't actually tip based on the service provided. They tip out of habit, they tip because 'Mama brought me up right'. And they make up arguments about service provided.
You don't "get it", or I am being obtuse... I guess I need to EDIT my response. Of course I wouldn't tip where it is not socially accepted, (in your example, Japan) and I HATE the tip jars for any RETAIL establishment, or food service where they do nothing for you at all but enter your order into a POS or ECR, and then just hand you the food.

But the reason I tip is not just one thing. At a bar, (or with an LSA working the cafe car) I wish to be "remembered" and provided with great service, like maybe having my drink/beer ready by the time I get to them. Or stashing the last bottle of red wine for me. Or any number of things. I make it clear to the TA-S that when I board, "I'll take care of you at the end of the trip, as long as you take care of me----" With a smile and a wink. Disarming hopefully...Trust me, I have "stiffed" many a TA-S, who have never bothered to even poke their head into my room and say "Hello".

Ever been in a SSL car, when coming to the end of the line, and they announce "Please return to your seats, and prepare to detrain, the lounge car is now closed........" Guess who gets to "stay" or is not shoe'd out by the LSA? Because he/she made $10-15 bucks from me over the last few days.

I'm certainly not saying one is obligated to tip, no one is. But under the same argument, no one should be made to feel bad FOR tipping also. I too delivered pizza in my day, and also found that the best tippers did indeed seem to be those that (just a hunch here) had also been involved in the service business at one time or another.

Do you tip the Red Cap? Hotel Doorman for getting you a cab? (guess what happens next time, if you didn't...) Bell Boy? Room Service? Do you leave something for the maid? I normally do not, but I also post the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door for the entire duration of my stay. (I figure if I use the same bath towel at home for a week, why can't I while in a hotel, saves on the environment too, just a wee, wee, wee, little bit...)

So tip or don't tip, I could care less. As for me, I appreciated it when I was in the service industry (on Amtrak and on "land") and I like to reward really great service.

But the reason I tip is not just one thing. At a bar, (or with an LSA working the cafe car) I wish to be "remembered" and provided with great service, like maybe having my drink/beer ready by the time I get to them. Or stashing the last bottle of red wine for me. Or any number of things. I make it clear to the TA-S that when I board, "I'll take care of you at the end of the trip, as long as you take care of me----" With a smile and a wink. Disarming hopefully...Trust me, I have "stiffed" many a TA-S, who have never bothered to even poke their head into my room and say "Hello".
Ever been in a SSL car, when coming to the end of the line, and they announce "Please return to your seats, and prepare to detrain, the lounge car is now closed........" Guess who gets to "stay" or is not shoe'd out by the LSA? Because he/she made $10-15 bucks from me over the last few days.
You know what giving money to get favorable service is called? BRIBE! You may sugarcoat it under fancy names as much as you like, a bribe by any other name is a bribe.

Not just on the train, anywhere I hate these trend of entitled people who think just because they have extra money to throw away, they can use the money power to gain undue favors.

If there is only one red wine bottle left, why should it not be given to the first person who comes asking for it?

When the staff announces SSL needs to be closed, why should you be not expected to leave with other passengers?

Tipping waiters who make less than minimum wage is okay, but using money power to get rules bent is unethical, and a disgusting thing to do. Sorry for the words, that's what it is and I don't mince words.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what giving money to get favorable service is called? BRIBE! You may sugarcoat it under fancy names as much as you like, a bribe by any other name is a bribe.

Not just on the train, anywhere I hate these trend of entitled people who think just because they have extra money to throw away, they can use the money power to gain undue favors.

If there is only one red wine bottle left, why should it not be given to the first person who comes asking for it?

When the staff announces SSL needs to be closed, why should you be not expected to leave with other passengers?

Tipping waiters who make less than minimum wage is okay, but using money power to get rules bent is unethical, and a disgusting thing to do. Sorry for the words, that's what it is and I don't mince words.
Money Talks

I tip because I want to reward good service. Period. Not that it's anyone's business when, where, how much, and why I tip. I'm not telling anyone else to tip or not tip and I'm not asking anyone to give me money to tip with. I fail to see what difference it makes to someone else if I tip. Just don't comprehend it.

I have a friend whose parents had plenty of money and her mom told me two things that have stuck with me for many years. The first thing she said was 'Everybody likes to get a little cash' when she was putting some out for a hotel maid whom she would never see because we were only there for one night. The second thing was 'Money is like manure-you've got to spread it around to help things grow'. Those comments changed my life. For the better... :)

There are times I've even wanted to run downstairs or "backstage" in the Diner and slip the Chef/Cook a Fiver or something for a meal I considered better than average.

So, "tip" is now a fancy word? Hmm. btw, I am ALL of those things that you write, and I sleep soundly at night, every night. Your ethics are not my ethics, and yours are no more right, or greater than mine. It's like trying to claim one religion or political party is better than the other.

I will gladly contine to 'bribe" waiters, bartenders, doormen, red caps, taxi drivers, etc., etc., when they perform their duty up to MY expectation, not yours, 'cause I am tipping with MY money, not yours.

I have been bypassed several times in my life, when a high-roller was behind me, and "greased the palm" of the maitre'D, or cut in front of me at a club, because the doorman/bouncer "knew" they wud get rewarded.

I better stop now, B4 the moderators HAVE to issue a warning, maybe I can "tip" them not to........

Bribing is paying in advance for a favor, while tipping is rewarding good service. I prefer the latter, but I'll do the former when is culturally appropriate. I'll even do neither if that's what's appropriate. Preferring tipping is just my own cultural prejudice.

With regard to the original post, I often order the steak, not because it's expensive (I don't even look at the prices, since I am almost always traveling in sleeper if I'm eating in the dining car) but rather because it's hard to screw up a steak and a baked potato.

I have a friend whose parents had plenty of money and her mom told me two things that have stuck with me for many years. The first thing she said was 'Everybody likes to get a little cash' when she was putting some out for a hotel maid whom she would never see because we were only there for one night. The second thing was 'Money is like manure-you've got to spread it around to help things grow'. Those comments changed my life. For the better... :)
Your friends mom stole :giggle: that line from Dolly Levi in "Hello Dolly" It is a nice thought.

Aloha

Your friends mom stole :giggle: that line from Dolly Levi in "Hello Dolly" It is a nice thought.
Aloha
I think a lot of her sayings came from movies!! :) She named my friend after a warmhearted hooker in one!

Can we move the discussions about tips to one of the many tips thread? This thread is about weather all entrees are available to sleeping car pax. That was answered early on and this thread keeps getting longer & longer.

When you stay at a hotel for a week, is it OK to use one soap the whole time, but put unopened soap and once-used shampoo in your luggage, knowing you'll get new ones every day?

Allow me to make one point clear. Meals on Amtrak are not free. Sleeper passengers have the cost of the meal(s) included in their ticket price. You pay for the food, whether you eat any meals or not. It is what I refer to as a silent transaction.
I'm beginning to doubt that. An average LD Amfleet II holds around 58 people. The sleepers hold a maximum of 30, but for parametrics, let's assume 50% are occupied by one person, so 22 in the sleepers. Immediately, the cost of the sleeper should be double the cost of coach just to cover the cost of pulling the car. Plus, you have the added overhead of laundry, a dedicated car attendant, and finally meals.

So, whereas from the customer's point of view, you're right - What I personally get for paying for a sleeper is certainly included in the cost, it can perhaps be argued that from management's point of view, the cost of the meal is anything BUT free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back