meals included in bedroom, are all entrees free regardless of price?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I do like cats, but I live so far from the train that it would be useless to try and bring any leftovers home. they'd spoil first!
you like cats as in you eat cats? or are you talking about bringing leftovers home for your cats?

confused... :(

(by the way, on a recent trip to Hong Kong, I made a daytrip across the border into China.... a local friend took me to a fancy expensive restaurant... imagine my reaction when I saw cat meat on the menu.. :(

I'm a catlover as well.... after I got home, I don't look at my cat the same way anymore. :D
If you can't travel Internationaly, you can learn alot by watching the Travel and Food Networks! Cat wouldn't be all that rare as a Source of Meat in some places in the World! Poor Starving people will eat Anything including Each Other! :eek: (Cannibals are still around! )

The single most Wierd/Disgusting Meal I've seen on these shows was Andrew Zimmiman when he was somewhere in Asia and had Aged Rat followed by Fermented Cheese with Live Maggots! Truely an episode of "As the Stomach Turns!" :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
And I do like cats, but I live so far from the train that it would be useless to try and bring any leftovers home. they'd spoil first!
you like cats as in you eat cats? or are you talking about bringing leftovers home for your cats?

(by the way, on a recent trip to Hong Kong, I made a daytrip across the border into China.... a local friend took me to a fancy expensive restaurant... imagine my reaction when I saw cat meat on the menu.. :(

I'm a catlover as well.... after I got home, I don't look at my cat the same way anymore. :D
If you can't travel Internationaly, you can learn alot by watching the Travel and Food Networks! Cat wouldn't be all that rare as a Source of Meat in some places in the World! Poor Starving people will eat Anything including Each Other! :eek: (Cannibals are still around! )

The single most wierd meal I've seen on these shows was Andrew Zimmiman when he was somewhere in Asia and had Aged Rat followed by Fermented Cheese with Live Maggots! Truely an episode of "As the Stomach Turns!" :rolleyes:
believe me, I knew people in some Chinese provinces eat cats.... but it's quite scary when the cat dish was staring back at me from the next table.

strangely, when I was visiting Korea many years ago, I was absolutely not disturbed by the dog meat hot pot/stew. I did not eat it, of course, but I did not feel anything. Guess that means I love cats more than dogs? :D

Yes, a sleeping car passenger can order any entree on the menu for that meal period, regardless of the price on the menu. Lunch and dinner also include dessert, if you want it. Breakfast also includes a side of bacon or sausage, if you want it. And if you get a burger for lunch, it also includes cheese and/or bacon if you want them!
The only thing not included are alcoholic beverages. Those you must pay for.
what I'm really wondering is whether or not bedroom passengers sit down and say "I'm gonna order the most expensive item on the menu because it's free"
I do. :giggle:

Yes, a sleeping car passenger can order any entree on the menu for that meal period, regardless of the price on the menu. Lunch and dinner also include dessert, if you want it. Breakfast also includes a side of bacon or sausage, if you want it. And if you get a burger for lunch, it also includes cheese and/or bacon if you want them!
what I'm really wondering is whether or not bedroom passengers sit down and say "I'm gonna order the most expensive item on the menu because it's free"
Does Amtrak ever have lobster on the menu? :D :D :D

Does Amtrak ever have lobster on the menu? :D :D :D
Santa Fe used to serve lobster on the Super Chief. Not sure if Amtrak continued.

Some kind of crustacean can be on the menu. Once I had crab cakes as the breakfast special.

The first summer of operation, the Super Chief remained pretty much the same, with the same Fred Harvey menus and just generally using Santa Fe facilities, personnel and practices. All Amtrak really did initially was write checks to Santa Fe reimbursing them. It was all completely operated by Santa Fe with hardly any changes, initially (they took off the FP45's and replaced them with F7/9's and didn't split it into two sections for the summer season were about it the first year).

So technicially, "Amtrak" may have had lobster on the menu that first year.

I would never go into Viet Nam Restaurants as I always heard dog was served. Well, I realize I missed a lot, as Thai and Vietnameese cooking is great. I had a doxy named Puppy and all I could think about was weiner snitzel or dog meat.

Going from Fred Harvey to Cat and Dog Meat-we're covering the whole spectrum here!
There was a restaurant that called itself "Harvey House" across from the California State Railroad Museum and a long block from the SAC station. It folded after about 4 months. I thought of getting some discount certificate to dine there, but the place closed before I would have likely used it. They had a concept of women in "Harvey Girl" style uniforms. I'm not sure if they licensed the use of the name. The Fred Harvey Company exists as part of Xanterra Parks and Resorts. They run a lot of the old Harvey House and Fred Harvey Company operations at the Grand Canyon, including the El Tovar Hotel, Hopi House, Desert View Watchtower, and Hermits Rest. I recall they specifically use the "Fred Harvey Trading Company" name for many of their gift shops there. Anyone want some desert tea?

holiday_online_promos_004_desert_tea_hot_chocolate_and_lemonade.jpg

Steak is OK, ribs special is great! Chicken dosen't taste that good. Crab cakes are excellent if available. Angus Burger and Specialty Sandwich is good for lunch. Breakfast, get Continental or whatever you'd like.

Always check the Special, they usually get a good bonus.

Beware, next time you try to take a bite while looking out the window, and you're gonna create a huge mess!

Just to throw another wrench into the conversation (am I mixing my metaphors here?), I'll add that I usually order bottled water with my meal, and also often ask for tea with dessert. I have never yet been charged for the "extra" beverage with dinner. Also, I call myself an "opportunivore." At home, I like vegetables (LOTS of them, preferably home-grown and fresh out of the garden), and I'm a big fan of whole foods (not capitalized: I don't mean the store). But when away from home, I will eat whatever is reputed to be best on the menu. Along about Thanksgiving, I'll be checking menus for my upcoming trip and asking questions (thanks, AU'ers for being there before I will be).
How about bringing the cat aboard the train as a leftover?

Many/most do.
That means some don't.... :(

If someone requires no service from the SCA, is tipping still required? (make up your own bed, carry your own bag, have zero interaction with the SCA during the entire trip)

No price limit, everything is free except the booze. I think you only get one of everything (for example, you can't order two desserts)
With the Exception of if you want Ice Cream (no Longer Hagen-Daas :( )on your Pie! A La Mode is allowed for No Additional Charge! :)
The vanilla gelato is superb.
Never tried it. Is there anywhere to buy it off the train?

While I never got to enjoy Fred Harvey Service on the Santa Fe or early Amtrak, I fondly recall taking many a meal as a small lad at the Fred Harvey Oasis located along the Illinois Tollway around Chicago. The Oasis still remain today but have become fast food havens.
http://www.panix.com/~rbean/oasis/
That looks really nice! It's one of the best highway rest stops I've seen. Fred Harvey supported the highways, then the pax trains got hit hard by them.

Allow me to make one point clear. Meals on Amtrak are not free. Sleeper passengers have the cost of the meal(s) included in their ticket price. You pay for the food, whether you eat any meals or not. It is what I refer to as a silent transaction.

Allow me to make one point clear. Meals on Amtrak are not free. Sleeper passengers have the cost of the meal(s) included in their ticket price. You pay for the food, whether you eat any meals or not. It is what I refer to as a silent transaction.
precisely... which is why some may feel the need to recuperate maximum returns on that investment. :D :D :D

I made that mistake when I visited Maine a couple of years. It was a live lobster all-you-can eat fest

for $20 per person. I got my money's worth by eating 9 2-pound lobsters(the whole thing... tamales

and tails!) in an hour. I sure stuffed myself good.

That last post was so not helpful to a new rider, it's not even funny! :angry:

I have never seen anyone thrown off the train because they did not tip the Dining Car server. And one of the last questions regarded tipping the SCA. Since you don't tip the SCA (if in fact you chose to do so) until you are getting off at your destination, I myself would not mind "being thrown off at the next stop"! You're getting off the train at that stop anyway and when you hand the SCA a tip you're most likely already on the platform! Or do they tie you into a seat and carry you for free to the next station? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back