Lincoln Service 302, 6/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouielady

Lead Service Attendant
I rode north on 302 yesterday morning, and it had an unusual consist. It was led by 90225, followed by 5 coaches (most empty, I assume), a cafe/business car, and had 29 on the backend! Granted, I haven't actually ridden this train in a while, but, it's definitely longer than I remember; by about 3 coaches, and, well, an extra engine. I just found it interesting, and thought I'd post...I snapped a picture of 90225, but, it didn't turn out that great on the cellphone. I couldn't get the entire train, although I was trying. I had a little trouble getting the picture linked, but, it is here. Wish it were a little better, but, that's as close as I got to the front (running a little late yesterday). It does get a little better when you click on it, but, not much. Sorry everyone!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't they start running some of the Lincoln Service trains with tight turns push-pull? It certainly would make sense for the Cabbage to be there if that's the case.

Some Lincoln Service consists interline with Wolverine trains, and those would have an NPCU or a second engine.

If that's the case, that certainly makes sense. It was just an unusual setup from the last time I rode it.

What you saw is sometimes the normal consist now. With an engine and a "cabbage" car on the other end -- they don't have to wye out in STL, providing for a quick turn-around. I have seen the consist youi described on 304 and other Lincoln Service trains for the past 3-4 years now. Sometimes they have the cabbage car... sometimes they dont. The same thing on the Carl Sandburg trains to Quincy too. If they have a cabbage car they dont have to go around the wye at West Quincy, MO... if they dont, they have to do the wye.

As others have mentioned, the 90225 was an NPCU (or "cabbage"), not a second locomotive. Also, I've noticed Lincoln Service trains running with more coaches over the last few years than was common prior to that. Even if the five coaches departed STL "most empty" it is quite likely that they filled up as the train approached CHI, especially at SPI and BNL.

As others have mentioned, the 90225 was an NPCU (or "cabbage"), not a second locomotive. Also, I've noticed Lincoln Service trains running with more coaches over the last few years than was common prior to that. Even if the five coaches departed STL "most empty" it is quite likely that they filled up as the train approached CHI, especially at SPI and BNL.
I got off in Joliet, and the front three coaches were indeed very empty.

On the trip home last night on 305, the setup was the same; no cabbage, but, locomotives on each end, and 4 or 5 coaches. I traveled the same route last fall, and neither had that set up. I guess I've just not seen it before, so, it was a little surprising to me.

I just returned from a couple of rides on Lincoln Service trains (305 CHI-SPI on 6/16 and 302 SPI-CHI on 6/17). Including both the 2 trains I was on and the ones I passed, I saw Lincoln Service trains with 4-6 coaches (plus all had the combo business class/cafe car), some with just a locomotive up front and some with a locomotive at one end and cabbage at the other end. That tends to fit in with my experiences over the last maybe 2-3 years. Prior to that, I seem to recall most Lincoln Service (or Ann Rutledge and State House) trains ran with 3-4 coaches plus BC/cafe car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back