Least Scenic Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
As I plan my Bucket List on taking as many Amtrak Routes as possible, is the TE (as someone recently posted) the least Scenic LD Route in America???

Thanx,

RF :cool:

It depends on your meaning of scenic. Yes, the TE between SAS and LAX does cover many hours of desert, and crosses the continental divide at a "low" altitude and without many mountains in sight, but some people consider desert scenery as very scenic. And between SAS and CHI, many might consider that scenic too.

Personally, I don't consider the TE as a whole as scenic as the CZ in Colorado, but then again I do not consider the CZ in Nebraska and Iowa to be as scenic either. And while I consider the EB around Glacier Park and the Columbia River Gorge to be scenic, I personally do not find eastern Montana and North Dakota to be very scenic.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion as to what is and what is not scenic.

I guess it depends on what you want to see. The TE goes through Chicago and crosses the Mississippi at St Louis. If your a sports fan it goes right by Cowboy Stadium in Arlington and it has a great view of the infamous tower 55 in Fort Worth. Plus lots of east Texas Forest and Central Texas heat.

So yeah it probably is. No mountains or National Parks or Great Lakes or ocean views.

But still it has a place in my heart because it does serve my neck of the woods in Central Texas and Monday morning while I'm riding the TE I'll be enjoying the least senic LD route as much as I can.

Of course I'm only counting the part from SAS to CHI. I still consider SAS to LAX to be the Sunset Limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it depends on what you want to see. The TE goes through Chicago and crosses the Mississippi at St Louis. If your a sports fan it goes right by Cowboy Stadium in Arlington and it has a great view of the infamous tower 55 in Fort Worth. Plus lots of east Texas Forest and Central Texas heat.So yeah it probably is. No mountains or National Parks or Great Lakes or ocean views.

But still it has a place in my heart because it does serve my neck of the woods in Central Texas and Monday morning while I'm riding the TE I'll be enjoying the least senic LD route as much as I can.

Of course I'm only counting the part from SAS to CHI. I still consider SAS to LAX to be the Sunset Limited.
No Offense intended, I've never taken a Rail Trip on the SW Routes, I really enjoyed the CZ route thru Iowa & Nebraska, as i use to fly Balloons over that area & the Train Trip brought back great Memories!!!!

Just trying to prioritize my future trips!!!

Thanx,

RF

As I plan my Bucket List on taking as many Amtrak Routes as possible, is the TE (as someone recently posted) the least Scenic LD Route in America???Thanx,

I'm sure others, although I don't know why, may strongly disagree with me, but I haven't find any of the long distance routes I've taken worthy of being labeled as the "least scenic." There are however segments of routes that I would label as least scenic and one of those, in addition to a number of others, is on the CZ and starts at the entrance to the Moffet Tunnel and ends at its exit! :lol:

I do not think the Silver Meteor is all that scenic. I have probably traveled some part of the route between Hollywood, FL to NYP over 20 times and although it does not get "old," it is just not as scenic as the other routes (Capitol Limited, LSL, the Adirondack, Empire Builder (CHI-MSP)) that I have traveled.

My favorite out of the ones you listed is the Cardinal. As aprevious poster said, it is a short and crowded train, however, I usually ride in sleepers and that makes all the difference. You get a breath-taking view from that train.

The LSL is scenic? It was pretty-- I don't know... my least favorite route personally is any NEC train :p !

I think that the Penny has a very scenic route for a day train!

On Tuesday AM I will ride what I think is the Least Scenic - The Texas Eagle from STL to CHI, Most of my trips start out that way - or KWD to KCY which IS nice.

In October we will ride the TE over the rest of its route - from LAX to STL - I hope we enjoy it - since we will be on a train I expect that we will :)

my least favorite route personally is any NEC train :p !
I'll agree you - for most of the route! However the segment from OSB to WLY (where it goes along the shore - or within sight - of the Long Island Sound) I consider as very scenic! :p And most of the way from WLY (thru KIN :D ) until just south of PVD is thru a wooded area!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think the Silver Meteor is all that scenic. I have probably traveled some part of the route between Hollywood, FL to NYP over 20 times and although it does not get "old," it is just not as scenic as the other routes (Capitol Limited, LSL, the Adirondack, Empire Builder (CHI-MSP)) that I have traveled.
That was my first thought too.

Possibly because it is an overnight LD train, and therefore, there isn't much to see out of the windows when its dark.

I would say the CZ across NE. Good thing its (supposed to be, I've been so late where Its been daylight) at night. The SWC across KS is also not senic, good thing its at night too.

The LSL is scenic? It was pretty-- I don't know... my least favorite route personally is any NEC train :p !
LSL has some really great scenic points.... the River run as you depart... and then all of the Lakes that it gets its name for!

I second the Silver Trains as being pretty forgettable as far as scenery....

As for the NEC.... NYP-Boston has some wonderful scenery... But I assume you meant the WAS-NYP portion...

If the Pioneer was still running, someone would bring up the ride across Wyoming. I personally liked this route, being high desert, but then I'm biased having grown up in Wyoming...

As I plan my Bucket List on taking as many Amtrak Routes as possible, is the TE (as someone recently posted) the least Scenic LD Route in America???Thanx,

The eastern Montana and North Dakota portions of the Empire Builder are nothing to write home about. Same applies to a long stretch of the San Joaquins in farm country.

LSL has some really great scenic points.... the River run as you depart... and then all of the Lakes that it gets its name for!
The only Lake that it goes near - at least that you may see - is Lake Erie! But does follow the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers on the eastern end (to NYP) - and that is scenic!
sorry... I was referring to lakes in general.. not only "Great" lakes...

i guess some would call them ponds... not really sure how many of them can legally be classified as lakes... but there is alot of water views.. i do know that! :)

As for the NEC.... NYP-Boston has some wonderful scenery... But I assume you meant the WAS-NYP portion...
I've done both parts of the NEC and I think both of them aren't all that scenic. As for the LSL-- you don't even get to see its namesake! *Sigh* Que sera sera I suppose.

I've done both parts of the NEC and I think both of them aren't all that scenic. As for the LSL-- you don't even get to see its namesake! *Sigh* Que sera sera I suppose.
Scenery I suppose is a very relevant term.... seeing that you are from the North East and Ohio... that is probably why I find the LSL and parts of the NEC more scenic then you... since its more normal for you... but for me... all the water is pretty... Ha!

Likewise... much of the Silver Trains that I find boring could be because I drive through Georgia and parts of FL so much.. it just looks kinda like old news. While no one would say the Silver trains are A+ for scenery... someone who has never been through that part of the country might be fascinated.

The areas west of Spokane on both segments of the EB, from Spokane to the Columbia River, is nothing to write home about either. Fortunately both segments are mostly under the cover of darkness, for the most part. And neither lasts for that long compared to other places. 3 hours or so.

First, I agree with The_traveler, the NEC along the Sound is very scenic.

Second, you need to look harder the next time you ride the LSL. I've seen both Lake Erie and Lake Michigan from it many times.

First, I agree with The_traveler, the NEC along the Sound is very scenic.

Second, you need to look harder the next time you ride the LSL. I've seen both Lake Erie and Lake Michigan from it many times.
The views of the two lakes may be nice, but I really like when you go between the bays (Sandusky Bay & Bay Point) at Sandusky, OH. It's almost like you're taking a nice relaxing boat ride on the SS LSL! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back