Least Scenic Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver Meteor ride in Georgia is very, very boring - only woods, forests and woods. Even ride in Florida is more interesting - some lakes, towns, communities, orange farms, but Georgia has nothing to see.

The good thing is that Silver Star passes it at night, unlike Silver Meteor.

I even prefer desert view to forest view.

As I plan my Bucket List on taking as many Amtrak Routes as possible, is the TE (as someone recently posted) the least Scenic LD Route in America???Thanx,

RF :cool:
The eastern Montana and North Dakota portions of the Empire Builder are nothing to write home about. Same applies to a long stretch of the San Joaquins in farm country.
Going eastbound on #8 is a bit of a letdown once the train clears East Glacier. Of course, it has the opportunity to make good time crossing MT and ND.

Going westbound on #7, you can start looking for the Rockies on the horizon well before Browning or East Glacier, so if the scenery at trackside leaves a lot to be desired, the scenery in the distance may be more rewarding.

Going eastbound on #8 is a bit of a letdown once the train clears East Glacier. Of course, it has the opportunity to make good time crossing MT and ND.
Actually, I found this territory (East MT and ND) to be fascinating and beautiful (IE scenic) in a different way. It's not mountains, but does it have to be water, mountains, or long vistas to considered scenic? I think not, at least in some cases such as this.

Actually, I found this territory (East MT and ND) to be fascinating and beautiful (IE scenic) in a different way. It's not mountains, but does it have to be water, mountains, or long vistas to considered scenic? I think not, at least in some cases such as this.
I've taken the #7 twice & #8 once, the beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, & they're both very nice routes because of the diversity of terrains, as are most LD Trains!!!!!

That's why I love it!!!!!!! :D

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
Least scenic route in America?
I have video that I shot just yesterday that proves the the TE is very scenic!

The view on the other side of the train is better in Austin, I drove MOPAC daily for 7 yrs and have been

on TE in both directions many times!The view from the south coming into Austin over the trestle is

pretty spectacular!

Just finished reading all of the thread!Most interesting! :) Having just finished a 16state/9 train journey

and with my previous train journeys(its an adventure,not just a job! :lol: ) FWIW IMHO:

Overall worst scenery: The SSL from Marfa to Palm Springs! #2 The CONO from CHI to Memphis(it picks up there

except for Mississippi :) ) #3 EB in Eastern Montana and ND, the rest of the route is spectacular!

Havent ridden the CZ yet, nor the SWC, still planning to do the Silver Trains in the fall!Most entries/exits in to

yards are sort of ugly but one gets to see the past in living color as the towns followed the railroads!

Ive always found fascinating scenery on train rides wherever they go and like the traveler(and so many others

say: if a trains leav ing I want to be on it!)Good stuff!More and more folks! :cool: :cool: :cool:

I can never understand how Montana and North Dakota can't be considered some of the most scenic areas of the country. Here are a few of the photos I took from the windows of the EB.

MONTND-One.jpg

MONTND-Two.jpg

My vote for least scenic is by far the Sunset Limited...once you see one desert, you have seen them all...

My vote for least scenic is by far the Sunset Limited...once you see one desert, you have seen them all...
Have to agree even though this train has a special place in my heart!The SAS to Alpine section

is not too bad but the rest is,as you said, desert all the way!Perhaps the sunsets are the highlight since

its called the Sunset Ltd! :lol:

I'm with ALC. I think the Hiawatha has got to be the least scenic out there. Now granted it's essentially a commuter train, but it's nothing to write home about scenery wise. The approach to Chicago from the South is pretty cool since you get some good views of the city when you're on the Air Line. Some sections of the NEC also leave something to be desired. When you come into Baltimore you never get a view of the gorgeous skyline. I almost wish that Penn Station was down by the Harbor and not north of downtown. Same goes for Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back