Least Scenic Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The LSL is scenic? It was pretty-- I don't know... my least favorite route personally is any NEC train :p !
I think that the Penny has a very scenic route for a day train!
LSL has some really great scenic points.... the River run as you depart... and then all of the Lakes that it gets its name for!

I second the Silver Trains as being pretty forgettable as far as scenery....

As for the NEC.... NYP-Boston has some wonderful scenery... But I assume you meant the WAS-NYP portion...
I've done both parts of the NEC and I think both of them aren't all that scenic. As for the LSL-- you don't even get to see its namesake! *Sigh* Que sera sera I suppose.
First, I agree with The_traveler, the NEC along the Sound is very scenic.

Second, you need to look harder the next time you ride the LSL. I've seen both Lake Erie and Lake Michigan from it many times.
The views of the two lakes may be nice, but I really like when you go between the bays (Sandusky Bay & Bay Point) at Sandusky, OH. It's almost like you're taking a nice relaxing boat ride on the SS LSL! :lol:

I second that. When I rode the LSL last year our train was late so we passed over the Sandusky Bay at sunrise(and you could see Ceder Point Amusment Park across the water, boy was it pretty out)!

cpamtfan-Peter

you need to look harder the next time you ride the LSL. I've seen both Lake Erie and Lake Michigan from it many times.
The views of the two lakes may be nice, but I really like when you go between the bays (Sandusky Bay & Bay Point) at Sandusky, OH. It's almost like you're taking a nice relaxing boat ride on the SS LSL! :lol:
I second that. When I rode the LSL last year our train was late so we passed over the Sandusky Bay at sunrise(and you could see Ceder Point Amusment Park across the water, boy was it pretty out)!
I agree with all the above, and I forgot about Lake Michigan. (How could I forget that? :huh: Coming into CHI, you have to go around the southern tip, and you see it for an hour! :rolleyes: )

The route of the Crescent between BHM and SDL isn't overly scenic. Mostly just forest running. Ditto with the CONO between JAN and HMD. But of course, even on the dull portions of routes, there's always small town America to look at. :)

The route of the Crescent between BHM and SDL isn't overly scenic. Mostly just forest running. Ditto with the CONO between JAN and HMD. But of course, even on the dull portions of routes, there's always small town America to look at. :)
I agree that much of the Crescent's route is not very scenic. The best scenery surely is between Slidell and NOL, the water, etc.

It is kind of pretty through the rolling hills of Virginia. It often is too dark to appreciate that going south but going north you kind of wake up to it.

Also the Crescent and any other train which approaches WAS from the south gives you a good view of many prominent monuments, etc in WAS, just below the station.

In the outlying area of Atlanta, north of the station, you can get glimpses of MARTA rail. This can surprise people who do not know Atlanta has had a subway since 1979 (original small scale).

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to look harder the next time you ride the LSL. I've seen both Lake Erie and Lake Michigan from it many times.
I agree with all the above, and I forgot about Lake Michigan. (How could I forget that? :huh: Coming into CHI, you have to go around the southern tip, and you see it for an hour! :rolleyes: )
I find that region of northern Indiana to be fascinating scenery wise with all the mills, refineries and other heavy industrialization. And the train gets you that much closer than if you're driving on the 94 or 80.

The areas west of Spokane on both segments of the EB, from Spokane to the Columbia River, is nothing to write home about either. Fortunately both segments are mostly under the cover of darkness, for the most part. And neither lasts for that long compared to other places. 3 hours or so.

Most certainly, not scenic.

Just for the record, when the original pre Amtrak California Zephyr put in service about 1949 it was advertised to be on an extremely scenic route.

But much more than that, it was widely specifically stated that it was scheduled to go through the most scenic parts during the day and the least scenic at night.

Though the schedule has been lengthened, and the western part of the route changed, it still fits within those parameters somewhat today, esp in Colorado.

Domes were new in 1949 and it had an astonishing five domes on it.

Further it was publicly stated that the train actually went a little slower than it had to at places-- the better to fit the scenic parts into the schedule by day. And of course it was operated much more on time back then than in recent years.

Finally one has to wonder what the folks in states gone through at night thought about that public statement that they were not as scenic!!!

I agree that much of the Crescent's route is not very scenic. The best scenery surely is between Slidell and NOL, the water, etc.

It is kind of pretty through the rolling hills of Virginia. It often is too dark to appreciate that going south but going north you kind of wake up to it.

Also the Crescent and any other train which approaches WAS from the south gives you a good view of many prominent monuments, etc in WAS, just below the station.

In the outlying area of Atlanta, north of the station, you can get glimpses of MARTA rail. This can surprise people who do not know Atlanta has had a subway since 1979 (original small scale).
Atlanta to BHM has some very scenic portions as you travel through tunnels, and past streams and such through the hills.

The travel through VA is absolutely gorgeous, maybe I have always gotten lucky and woken up in time but there are several high trestles, and beutiful mtn. views in VA... or maybe I dreamt them?

There is also a very long trestle in Tocoa GA that the Southbound passenger can sometimes be awake for... it's been quite popular over the years for photos of both Amtrak, and the good ole' NS Steam Program, I'm thinking of a particular photo with 611 leading.... those were the days.

Atlanta to BHM has some very scenic portions as you travel through tunnels, and past streams and such through the hills.

The travel through VA is absolutely gorgeous, maybe I have always gotten lucky and woken up in time but there are several high trestles, and beutiful mtn. views in VA... or maybe I dreamt them?

There is also a very long trestle in Tocoa GA that the Southbound passenger can sometimes be awake for... it's been quite popular over the years for photos of both Amtrak, and the good ole' NS Steam Program, I'm thinking of a particular photo with 611 leading.... those were the days.

The train's route from ATL to BHM is probably prettier than I-20! There is that neat tunnel.

And you and I may have been on some of the same steam excursions, to Toccoa, to Chattanooga,etc.One to Macon. Some others, all across the Southeast, esp. with 611.

For some who do not know what 611 is, it was was one of several steam locomotives beautifully genuinely built streamlined from the ground up. Worked the Norfolk and Western Railroad. You can google J Class Norfolk and Western. Kind of counter culture, in as much as diesels were beginning to be built.The N&W RR went right through coal mining country, thus they kept steamers longer than most.

Many of the various revenue routes of the J class would have been through such beautiful territory as we both noted in Virginia.

The areas west of Spokane on both segments of the EB, from Spokane to the Columbia River, is nothing to write home about either. Fortunately both segments are mostly under the cover of darkness, for the most part. And neither lasts for that long compared to other places. 3 hours or so.

That's the cue to look for the "scenery" which may be on board the train!!! There never seems to be a shortage of gals in that respect!!! :lol: :cool:

OBS gone freight...

That's the cue to look for the "scenery" which may be on board the train!!! There never seems to be a shortage of gals in that respect!!! :lol: :cool:

OBS gone freight...
LMAO--

Back to the discussion... how about the Chicagoland trains? Lincoln service or the Wolverine?

Let me put the question this way, out of the SWC,TE,SL,Card & LSL, which ones are your favorites????
Definitely the SWC. From LAX to La Junta, it is very scenic, with a variety of dramatic South-West scenes ranging from Deserts to Mountains to Indian Pueblos. From La Junta through to Chicago, I would still call it both pleasant and interesting.

If you've done the CZ, and want a different route from Chicago to the West Coast, then by ALL means take the SWC!

Or take them both, as a loop trip, east on the SWC and west on the CZ for the "Great Western Triangle"... a classic excursion!

Let me put the question this way, out of the SWC,TE,SL,Card & LSL, which ones are your favorites????
Definitely the SWC. From LAX to La Junta, it is very scenic, with a variety of dramatic South-West scenes ranging from Deserts to Mountains to Indian Pueblos. From La Junta through to Chicago, I would still call it both pleasant and interesting.

If you've done the CZ, and want a different route from Chicago to the West Coast, then by ALL means take the SWC!

Or take them both, as a loop trip, east on the SWC and west on the CZ for the "Great Western Triangle"... a classic excursion!
Thanx,

I've done the EB & CZ, which were awesome.

Now, I'm looking for my next trip on either the TE,SWC or SL. I just want to experience the best routes in case I get hit by a "Bolt" of lightning before I complete all the "Trackage" out there!!!

:D

My least scenics are between Dallas and Ft Worth (and really on to San Antonio), and from about Gary, IN to Chicago. Although there is a LOT of rail activity to watch along the latter...

My least scenics are between Dallas and Ft Worth (and really on to San Antonio), and from about Gary, IN to Chicago. Although there is a LOT of rail activity to watch along the latter...
Some of my favorite places are coming into Chicago from the east, south, west, and north! I never get tired of that.

Some of my favorite places are coming into Chicago from the east, south, west, and north! I never get tired of that.
Me too! Because that means that I'm on a train! :D

But I agree coming in from the east near the mill is not scenic - although you do get a view of Lake Michigan and the Chicago skyline near there!

Thanx,

I've done the EB & CZ, which were awesome.

Now, I'm looking for my next trip on either the TE,SWC or SL. I just want to experience the best routes in case I get hit by a "Bolt" of lightning before I complete all the "Trackage" out there!!!

:D
Get hit by a bolt of lightning? Hey, just make your reservations to be on the same train as the Traveler. His travels move so fast that lightning never has a chance to catch-up! :lol:

Least scenic route in America?

I have video that I shot just yesterday that proves the the TE is very scenic!

Errrrr...

Maybe that wasn't the best one to use.

In my defense it was raining yesterday and I didn't get any good shots.

Least scenic route in America?
I have video that I shot just yesterday that proves the the TE is very scenic!

The Texas Eagle route also has some scenic areas from St. Louis south to Poplar Bluff along the Mississippi River and into the Iron region. Unfortunately, the TE travels through that area when its dark unless the train is late. I rode through that area on MoPac day trains during the 50s and 60s and always enjoyed it.

I've come into Chicago from the south, west, and north sides... but I've never come from east of the city! Is there a new bridge across Lake Michigan that makes that possible? :lol:

I've come into Chicago from the south, west, and north sides... but I've never come from east of the city!
Try the Water Taxi, from the Museum Campus out onto Lake Michigan, then back to the Chicago River. A dramatic and beautiful way to approach the City!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back