Latest Texas Eagle news

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
So I just attended another TEMPO meeting today in Temple, Texas. It was in the beautiful Santa Fe depot there. If you ever get a chance to visit Temple, go inside and the visit the museum. It's quite impressive.

Latest Texas Eagle news:

Hope, AR will be put on the timetable this October as stop "TBD." The city is still working out issues with platform contruction to be legal and ADA compliant. Hopefully concrete can be poured in the next two months.

Schulenburg, TX about halfway between Houston and San Antonio is really hoping for a Amtrak stop. I think its kind of ridiculous that there never has been an Amtrak stop between Houston and SA. Hondo and Uvalde, TX seem to be interested too.

Amtrak managers are going to propose that the dining car staff stay on all the way to San Antonio to serve meals at a reasonable hour. They said this could add $300,000 a year to operating costs, but could really improve the performance index they are looking for on this route. They'll have to see if the board will go along with it.

The Texas Eagle will now run the route 30 minutes quicker! New arrival in SAS is at 9:55 pm. Pretty much they took out the padding in east Texas, so pretty much all stations from Marshall onward for #21 will be 30 minutes earlier. All this is already loaded into Amtrak.com. I was hoping they would move the Chicago departure back to something like 3 pm but that didn't happen. Maybe next year. The other bad part is that this makes the layover in SAS ever longer for both directions.

Also good news: The westbound Sunset Limited will have am hour earlier arrival in to LAX! Which means a guaranteed connection with the northbound Coast Starlight! yay! Eastbound SL is still at 2:30 pm. No connection there.

End of October: A brand new Amtrak.com website will roll out! Do you ever wonder which days will have the lower buckets and you have to sit there and play with different dates until you can get the best rate? Or do you wonder how many sleepers are left on your train. Well the fancy new Amtrak.com will allow to see which days have the best price! And even tell you how many rooms are left on your train.

Dining car orders: Amtrak already has in hand, electronic menu devices. This means instead of the LSA's and servers hand writing every order, they will all go on to a computerized system, making for easier transactions. Look for pilot programs to start on select LD trains in the next few months or next year.

And the best for last. :)

Daily Texas Eagle to LAX was on everyones mind. From what they said, managers are going to do a formal presentation to the Amtrak Board about the daily service of the Texas Eagle all the way to LAX. He said they are hopefull, but about 50/50 on what they might say about it. Talk from others folks at the meeting say that there's one VP that has no interest in daily service and is blocking the idea. Others say, he's just the messenger from other higher ups. He mentioned maintenance costs would be a little more then anticipated, but ridership and revenue would improve significantly which is a no brainer.

Thats all I can think of. So discuss!

So I just attended another TEMPO meeting today in Temple, Texas. It was in the beautiful Santa Fe depot there. If you ever get a chance to visit Temple, go inside and the visit the museum. It's quite impressive.
Latest Texas Eagle news:

Dining car orders: Amtrak already has in hand, electronic menu devices. This means instead of the LSA's and servers hand writing every order, they will all go on to a computerized system, making for easier transactions. Look for pilot programs to start on select LD trains in the next few months or next year.
Do you have any more info on this?

I've been involved on that side of the business my entire life, and even did some pilot tests with Amtrak on the CL and LSL several years back. Of course, our firm got beat-out by a firm headed up by a guy who was "connected" in DC. And of course his plan (like the IBM one before him) was a dismal failure. (they failed to understand what happens to equipment left on board after the train reaches the station, and goes to Ivy City, or Sunnyside, or *fill-in-the-blank*.

They even showed me the remnants of pieces of POS systems that had been thrown off NEC trains, at speed, or found in dumpsters, or trunks of employee cars.

Can't wait to see this one. Though there are some possibilities. Portable, hardened, and lightweight come to mind...........

Thanks for the update Chris! Guess the old theres good news and bad news cliche!

Thats great about the amtrak.com/Im no hi-tech wizard but the diner stuff might help cut down the paperwork for the LSA and servers/is there any thing on e-tickets or improved ticketing yet?

I dont know what a stop in Podunk towns would do for the SL, and getting into SAS of course is just more time wasted !(Uvalde might work?Hondo/Schulenburg no way!) :unsure:

Thats great about the guranteed connection to the CS NB but as you said doesnt help the SB connections in LAX!I dont really see any advantage to the new schedule except the guranteed connection NB to the CS! The rest is just rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic!

As Ive posted before the agents in Austin told me that they will be 7 day a week with checked baggage soon, supposedly Marshall would be the same?(and your right about the museum in Temple/Ive been twice!) Still dont see why Waco cant have a stop instead of Nowhere ville???(McGregor)!!

thats interesting about the VP maybe being personally against a daily SL/TE, guess hell need some political pressure from Congress but of course our guy (Sen Kay is a goner) doesnt care/have a clue and some of the clowns we elect dont even know that Amtrak runs through their states/districts! (John McCain is 1 example!) Good news if the diner crew stays on to SAS, diner could be served later and breakfast on the turnaround in the morning!

We all know the padding in the schedule is just a numbers game, the real power down here is with UP, soon as the freight traffic picks up well see LD trains in the hole again, book it! Hope the pressure can be kept on the freights to help keep the OTP looking good once business picks up!

Ill wave when I go through Dallas on the 7th heading to CHI, will be in roomette #4 if you happen to be there that day! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest Texas Eagle news:

Hope, AR will be put on the timetable this October as stop "TBD." The city is still working out issues with platform contruction to be legal and ADA compliant. Hopefully concrete can be poured in the next two months.

Schulenburg, TX about halfway between Houston and San Antonio is really hoping for a Amtrak stop. I think its kind of ridiculous that there never has been an Amtrak stop between Houston and SA. Hondo and Uvalde, TX seem to be interested too.

Amtrak managers are going to propose that the dining car staff stay on all the way to San Antonio to serve meals at a reasonable hour. They said this could add $300,000 a year to operating costs, but could really improve the performance index they are looking for on this route. They'll have to see if the board will go along with it.

The Texas Eagle will now run the route 30 minutes quicker! New arrival in SAS is at 9:55 pm. Pretty much they took out the padding in east Texas, so pretty much all stations from Marshall onward for #21 will be 30 minutes earlier. All this is already loaded into Amtrak.com. I was hoping they would move the Chicago departure back to something like 3 pm but that didn't happen. Maybe next year. The other bad part is that this makes the layover in SAS ever longer for both directions.

Also good news: The westbound Sunset Limited will have am hour earlier arrival in to LAX! Which means a guaranteed connection with the northbound Coast Starlight! yay! Eastbound SL is still at 2:30 pm. No connection there.

End of October: A brand new Amtrak.com website will roll out! Do you ever wonder which days will have the lower buckets and you have to sit there and play with different dates until you can get the best rate? Or do you wonder how many sleepers are left on your train. Well the fancy new Amtrak.com will allow to see which days have the best price! And even tell you how many rooms are left on your train.

And the best for last. :)

Daily Texas Eagle to LAX was on everyones mind. From what they said, managers are going to do a formal presentation to the Amtrak Board about the daily service of the Texas Eagle all the way to LAX. He said they are hopefull, but about 50/50 on what they might say about it. Talk from others folks at the meeting say that there's one VP that has no interest in daily service and is blocking the idea. Others say, he's just the messenger from other higher ups. He mentioned maintenance costs would be a little more then anticipated, but ridership and revenue would improve significantly which is a no brainer.

Thats all I can think of. So discuss!

Thanks for the report. Wish I could have been at the meeting. I still have hope for daily service, I guess until it is formally shot down.

Do you have any more info on this?
I've been involved on that side of the business my entire life, and even did some pilot tests with Amtrak on the CL and LSL several years back. Of course, our firm got beat-out by a firm headed up by a guy who was "connected" in DC. And of course his plan (like the IBM one before him) was a dismal failure. (they failed to understand what happens to equipment left on board after the train reaches the station, and goes to Ivy City, or Sunnyside, or *fill-in-the-blank*.

They even showed me the remnants of pieces of POS systems that had been thrown off NEC trains, at speed, or found in dumpsters, or trunks of employee cars.

Can't wait to see this one. Though there are some possibilities. Portable, hardened, and lightweight come to mind...........
No, not really. They just mentioned it in the meeting and its the first I heard of it.

Any word on when the Centrepoint/DFW stop will go in service/
I meant to ask, but I'm not sure. The one guy I did ask said he assumed 21 would be traveling on the TRE route with the new schedule change. Not sure about the Centreport/DFW stop. If I had to guess, the stop is not going to happen, at least this fall. TRE just changed their schedules, so not sure if they left a gap for them or not.

In FTW, there are 3 tracks. TRE normally used track 1 while the Eagles used tracks 2 and 3, as they normally are there at the same time. I just found out that TRE actually owns tracks 1 and 2, and they are taking 2 back! They need the 2nd track for passing so Amtrak is now stuck with one track. Not sure how they plan on running things when both Eagles are in the station at the same time. They'll have to park back to back!

Since I've already eaten my hat about the Sunset detour I have nothing to lose. Karnak says; you are very fortunate to keep the SS Lounge and get the diner crew to SAS. I think that's about all DC is going to allow right now. Truth be known~ they're scared to death about having to run the Sunset to Florida. If UP business ever picks up the costs in overtime and re-crews will mount as before. Forget all the double tracking~ it's still UP Railroad.

Since I've already eaten my hat about the Sunset detour I have nothing to lose. Karnak says; you are very fortunate to keep the SS Lounge and get the diner crew to SAS. I think that's about all DC is going to allow right now. Truth be known~ they're scared to death about having to run the Sunset to Florida. If UP business ever picks up the costs in overtime and re-crews will mount as before. Forget all the double tracking~ it's still UP Railroad.
had8ley didn't you ask the folks in NOL about the latest on the Sunset East? One of them told me "November of next year" is what they were told recently. ;) I'll believe it when I see it and when it's bookable on the website!

As for the TE/SS going daily...I'm still undecided on how I feel about it...but it looks like I'll have more time to make up my mind. Nothing ever happens even remotely quickly at the 'trak.

In FTW, there are 3 tracks. TRE normally used track 1 while the Eagles used tracks 2 and 3, as they normally are there at the same time. I just found out that TRE actually owns tracks 1 and 2, and they are taking 2 back! They need the 2nd track for passing so Amtrak is now stuck with one track. Not sure how they plan on running things when both Eagles are in the station at the same time. They'll have to park back to back!
Do not forget the Heartland Flyer. That train is also in the station at the same time.

Did anyone say if an expansion of platforms was under consideration?

Either they've been working super fast on this or you and/or the speaker got the date wrong. This is a ARRA (Stimulus) project and it's not supposed to be completed until October of 2010, not next month.

Here are a few of the improvements from the project description:

Examples include: (1) Full-Day Availability - Allows customers to view all trains based on their request for the entire day rather than 10 trains. This initiative also dramatically improves the ability to avoid long development cycles and costly work in the reservations system when developing future enhancements. (2) Shopping Cart - Allows customers to add purchases, including ancilliary products like a car, hotel, sightseeing, etc., to an itemized cart. (3) Enhanced Service Alert - Shows system alerts based on train number. (4) Near Sold Out Alerts (i.e., three seats left) - Allows customers to see which trains have a limited amount of seats.

had8ley didn't you ask the folks in NOL about the latest on the Sunset East? One of them told me "November of next year" is what they were told recently. ;) I'll believe it when I see it and when it's bookable on the website!

As for the TE/SS going daily...I'm still undecided on how I feel about it...but it looks like I'll have more time to make up my mind. Nothing ever happens even remotely quickly at the 'trak.
You know I could ask 10 people upstairs at NOUPT about Sunset East if it would be any advantage but I can promise you I'd get frustrated with at least 6, or more, different start up dates. The VP who is stalling the TE daily ought to be ashamed of himself. I feel like most other posters; talk is cheap and it is the TT that counts. <_<

I meant to ask, but I'm not sure. The one guy I did ask said he assumed 21 would be traveling on the TRE route with the new schedule change. Not sure about the Centreport/DFW stop. If I had to guess, the stop is not going to happen, at least this fall. TRE just changed their schedules, so not sure if they left a gap for them or not.

That would be interesting, when they are both using the TRE route the two trains would have to figure out a way to pass using only one track at the station.

The moving to the TRE between FTW and DAL has been around for years. So whats the latest rumor this suppose to happen?

Its good the Eagle is getting some resemblance back to the 1980s InterAmerican schedule, getting into San Antonio around 10pm is great. Now what happens if the daily train to LAX goes through? If you back the SSL schedule back a couple of hours to leaving SAT at 11pm or 12 Midnight wouldn't that put the LAX daily train into LA Union around 12 mid or 1 AM?

Was my friend Dan Stephens at the meeting. He is the longtime station manager in Temple. A great guy who could tell stories about when Sante Fe ran pax trains through there , it is a gorgeous station. It gives you the feeling you have arrived some place.

Chris,

Thanks for the update on the Texas Eagle. I have just redeemed AGR points for a trip on the TE next June and early July. I wonder if TEMPO knows about the AA International Convention that San Antonio is hosting in July 2010? This could be a time for Amtrak/Railfans to shine. About 65,000 people from all over the world will be traveling to SAS. When I traveled to the last AA Convention in 2005, there was so many people "flying" to Toronto through O'Hare that we were all delayed significantly and that was the trip from hell that made me seek out Amtrak. SAS is a smaller urban area and I'm concerned about the smaller amount of mass transit. Some of my friends that stayed outside of Toronto due to hotel prices could not get to the Skydome because of traffic issues. I guess, I would love to see Amtrak/TEMPO try and woo some people who choose to fly and snag some "newbies" next summer that need to get to SAS. Every AA International Convention is usually the host city's biggest convention to date. Host cities in the past are Toronto, Minneapolis/St. Paul, San Diego, Seattle. This convention is so large that its only held every 5 years.

Thanks for the news update! I'm excited about the improved website. There is a lot of trial & error with the current site to find best dates/times and which fare truly is "low bucket". Looking forward to the changes.

Its good the Eagle is getting some resemblance back to the 1980s InterAmerican schedule, getting into San Antonio around 10pm is great. Now what happens if the daily train to LAX goes through? If you back the SSL schedule back a couple of hours to leaving SAT at 11pm or 12 Midnight wouldn't that put the LAX daily train into LA Union around 12 mid or 1 AM?
This has been the problem with western long distance trains forever. You have all the time in the world westbound and have to hurry hurry eastbound just to make the schedule. Pre-Katrina/UP meltdown the train left SAS at 3:40AM and arrived in LAX at 6:40AM the next day. But that was before they added all the padding along the way. If you give it an hour in El Paso and another hour in Tucson and say 20 minutes in Maricopa to connect with the ghost bus from Phoenix, added stops in Uvalde and Hondo and pushed back the arrival in LAX to say 6:15am you could leave SAS between midnight and 1:00am or maybe a little later. I am guessing that is probably what they will ultimately do. The Eagle is late quite often and once they go daily they have to wait for the coach train from NOL also which is scheduled to arrive around 10PM.

On the return eastbound the schedule should revert back to a 9:30-10pm departure from LAX and an early morning arrival in SAS. No problem with the connection there.

Even if they keep the status quo and/or go back to serving Florida three times a week this would be the most practical schedule.

Either they've been working super fast on this or you and/or the speaker got the date wrong. This is a ARRA (Stimulus) project and it's not supposed to be completed until October of 2010, not next month.

Here are a few of the improvements from the project description:
Just reporting what I heard from Amtrak Marketing. It's possible I heard wrong too.

The moving to the TRE between FTW and DAL has been around for years. So whats the latest rumor this suppose to happen?

Was my friend Dan Stephens at the meeting. He is the longtime station manager in Temple. A great guy who could tell stories about when Sante Fe ran pax trains through there , it is a gorgeous station. It gives you the feeling you have arrived some place.
But this time it is more for sure. 21 should take the TRE beginning in October. 22 a year later. TRE is being double tracks then entire distance with a 8000 foot flyover in Irving.

Actually the Sunset would arrive into LAX about 6:30 AM as it did in the past. I guess they would just maybe stretch the schedule out some if they make a midnight departure from LAX.

Didn't meet Dan Stephens. Doesn't mean he wasn't there.

That would be interesting, when they are both using the TRE route the two trains would have to figure out a way to pass using only one track at the station.
FTW has a crossover in the middle of the platform. The platform is long enough to keep both Texas Eagles. It's just kind of inefficient. The far part of the platform is not covered and is a very long walk for passengers to/from the station.

Do not forget the Heartland Flyer. That train is also in the station at the same time.
Did anyone say if an expansion of platforms was under consideration?
There is room to park the Heartland Flyer during its layover off the platform on a siding up the hill. So that shouldn't be a problem. There are plans to add another track and platform beyond the ones already there. There is room for one for track, maybe two. Its going to be needed if the new commuter rail line to DFW/Grapevine is added or if TxDOT actually gets into the passenger rail business and gets a corridor train running. Its just a matter of who pays for it right now....Amtrak, BNSF, The T, the State, or a combination of all that.

But this time it is more for sure. 21 should take the TRE beginning in October. 22 a year later. TRE is being double tracks then entire distance with a 8000 foot flyover in Irving.

Actually the Sunset would arrive into LAX about 6:30 AM as it did in the past. I guess they would just maybe stretch the schedule out some if they make a midnight departure from LAX.

Didn't meet Dan Stephens. Doesn't mean he wasn't there.
Thanks Saxman, I guess that would eliminate one backup move. Its a little hectic when both 21 and 22 arrive at old Tower 55 at the same time. I wander whats the time difference between the TRE and UP? On the UP between FTW and DAL, I believe top speed is 60 mph. What is it on the TRE?

Agree on your schedule Henry, I just looked at Amtrak.com, and I forgot they moved the SL LAX departure to the day time. The dwell times at SAT is ridiculous and at El Paso. I guess that taking padding the schedule to the extreme. With the new daily 21-22 to LAX it would to revert to a 10pm departure.

Thanks Saxman, I guess that would eliminate one backup move. Its a little hectic when both 21 and 22 arrive at old Tower 55 at the same time. I wander whats the time difference between the TRE and UP? On the UP between FTW and DAL, I believe top speed is 60 mph. What is it on the TRE?
A little over half the TRE is 79 mph now. Pretty soon almost all of it will be 79.

With AMTRAK being limited to one track at FTW, this is going to be a mess --- especially when 21 is ready to depart and 22 is late arriving. And never mind trying to get 822 ready for departure should both 21 and 22 be late.

I think the best thing for the FTW station is to create TWO new platforms with FOUR new tracks.

I know funding is always a concern, but it has to be done.

Just curious, but why do people want the Eagle to go through the TRE route? Just for the airport stop? I don't think that's a great idea at all. If you need to get to the airport from downtown Dallas or Fort Worth, just wait for the next TRE train when you arrive. I like not having to stop anywhere when I'm on the Eagle going between DAL and FTW. If I recall, the trip between the two stations was about 30 minutes on the Eagle due to not having to stop for anything.

Just curious, but why do people want the Eagle to go through the TRE route? Just for the airport stop? I don't think that's a great idea at all. If you need to get to the airport from downtown Dallas or Fort Worth, just wait for the next TRE train when you arrive. I like not having to stop anywhere when I'm on the Eagle going between DAL and FTW. If I recall, the trip between the two stations was about 30 minutes on the Eagle due to not having to stop for anything.
Simple, no back up move in and out of FTW. Sometimes it takes 20 or 30 minutes to do the back up move and it just takes way too long. And the Centreport stop wouldn't really be a big stop. Just a quick 60 second stop most likely. I doubt very many people will use the stop, except maybe a few who live in the midcities area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back