Is there actually a 5th Empire Builder?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethe7

Train Attendant
I know that at any given time there are two westbound trains and two eastbound. I thought I read someplace that there is a 5th train that is used either on the Chicago or Seattle end due to I believe the same day arrival/departure in Seattle and not being able to turn around the westbound train in time. However, I can't find the source now, can somebody confirm this. And if there is a 5th train, is that what it is used for? Or is it on the Chicago end?

In Seattle, 7 is turned around to be 8 that afternoon. If the train is so late coming in and they can't service it in time, 8 goes out late. There is always a set laying over overnight in Chicago, though. There are no spare sets.

There have to be 5 sets. On any given day at, say, 3pm Central, there's a 7 is between Chicago and Milwaukee, a 7 nearing Havre, MT, one set being turned and serviced in Seattle, an 8 nearing Malta, MT, and an 8 that is approaching Glenview, IL (in theory, not practice. In practice it's probably closer to La Crosse, WI).

Last edited by a moderator:
As said, an additional set is kept in Chicago. If by chance the westbound EB is so late that it would cause major delays if it goes all the way to Portland and Seattle, it will be truncated in Spokane and turned there to become #8/28. The passengers to/from Portland/Seattle would be bussed to their destination.

Correct. There's nothing like sitting in SEA King Street Station and hearing the dreaded announcement, "Train 8 will be a bus today..."

About the only good thing about the SEA-SPK bustitution is that you're likely to arrive in Spokane around 9 pm. Generally, they let sleeper passengers occupy their rooms right away, so I'm often fast asleep when the train finally pulls out.

It's not that the fifth train is an "extra" set. The eastbound arrives in Chicago after the westbound has departed. It then spends 22 hours (or less, if the train arrives late) in the yard.

The Milwaukee Road used to run 6 sets of the Olympian Hiawatha just for the above reasons. Helped to keep the schedule, even in heavy Cascade snows

I'm confused now. How fast can a train be prepped for the next run? Take the SWC, 4 arrives in Chicago around 3pm, but 3 departs Chicago about the same time, is it the same "set" or the "set" that arrived the previous afternoon?

Edit: never mind, I think I got it figured out

Last edited by a moderator:
Single levels should, with the exception of the 1 Cardinal set that arrives in Chicago on Monday morning and doesn't depart until Tuesday evening.

With all of the Superliners laying about, the Cap's consist might not be a strictly same day turn, depending on what the yard puts together.

Correction; The Texas Eagle and The CONO use the same Equipment on a Same Day Departure out of CHI!
I think the inbound CONO became the outbound Texas Eagle, and vice versa. The inbound Texas Eagle comes in just after outbound Texas Eagle leaves.

also do the texas eagle and CONO share the same equiptment when the texas eagle is doing the special sunset combo trip?
Yes. the Consist is the Same with the Same Train Set! (And FYI the Revenue Sleeper is back on the Front on #21/#22 where it Belongs, it is Hooked to the REAR of #1 in SAS when it is Cut Out with the LAX Coach and Runs as #421 to LAX and Vice Versa when #2 Drops it in SAS to continue to CHI as #422!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back