Is it possible to actually talk with anyone at a station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich Mulvey

Hi All:

I took my first trip on Amtrak a couple of weeks ago, and loved it. My 10-yr-old son and I used the train to get to and from the start of a bike tour, and everything worked out great.

Except...

For our departures from both ROC and ALB, we tried to call a day or so ahead of time to make sure the stations would have two bike boxes available. For ROC, all I could get was an endless repeating message with the station hours, etc. For ALB, I could get absolutely no answer at all. When I called the USA-RAIL number to make sure I had the correct station phone numbers, they confirmed I was calling the right ones.

So - is this just standard at Amtrak stations? Do they really just never, ever answer the phone? In both cases, I tried every 10 minutes or so for literally hours, at various times of day.

Thanks,

- Rich

Yes this is standard. When calling the public numbers at stations there is almost always a recording directing you to call 800-USA-RAIL. Don't waste your time calling over and over, nobody will ever pick up. Instead, call the 800 number and ask the agent if they will call the station directly on their private line. They will be able to speak to someone at the station and confirm the availability of bike boxes or whatever else you may need (barring ridiculous requests, obviously). If the agent you get at USA-RAIL says they can't help, hang up, call back and speak to someone else. However, don't expect the agent to ever give you any station number other than the public line.

The only exception I've ever run into to this is at some of the smaller manned stations out west. For a few of them, they do sometimes answer the phones. Doesn't really help much though when you're trying to find out about an east coast station.

The only exception I've ever run into to this is at some of the smaller manned stations out west. For a few of them, they do sometimes answer the phones. Doesn't really help much though when you're trying to find out about an east coast station.
When I call the Temple, Texas station I get the actual agent there.

Some stations have it set up so that their local number actually forwards directly to the 800 number. Frequently we'll answer the phone in Philadelphia and people will mistakenly think that they're talking to someone at the station in Bakersfield, Birmingham, or somewhere in between. :blink: Obviously nobody on this board would ever be deceived after hearing Julie pickup the phone.

May just be at the larger stations...I called Carbondale, Il where we would get on with a couple questions over a weeks time. Talked to someone each time, answered the phone within 3 rings. And were very helpfull and answered the questions.

I called the local station here in Albuquerque and got a recording saying I'd be on hold 20 minutes until I could speak to an agent. I hung up.

My mother always calls the Minot, No. Dak. depot and talks to an agent. Having lived in the town for 46 years, she knows them all.

Thanks for all the responses! It sounds like I can just have the USA-RAIL reps call the station the next time, if I can't get through.

In ROC, at least, I have to admit that I was tempted to stand in the lobby when I went back to pick up the bikes, and watch to see if the guy in the ticket office would look up from his newspaper and answer it... ;-)

Thanks for all the responses! It sounds like I can just have the USA-RAIL reps call the station the next time, if I can't get through.

In ROC, at least, I have to admit that I was tempted to stand in the lobby when I went back to pick up the bikes, and watch to see if the guy in the ticket office would look up from his newspaper and answer it... ;-)
Find out just who the Manager of Stations is for that station and I promise you (I hope) that paper will disappear as soon as he/she shows up. Nothing like getting out of the office once a year. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back