I'm Booked For My First Sleeper Car Trip, Now What?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, speaking of cafe cars, what type of lounge/cafe does the Meteor have? I've ridden in the Amfleet 1 cafe cars on the Regional, Pennsylvanian, and Adirondack; these have booth seating on both sides of the snack bar. I would assume that the Meteor has a true Lounge car, given at it is a long distance overnight train.

Here's yet another question. The date of my trip is March 10-11, which happens to be when daylight savings time begins. How does that play into my arrival time at PHL on 3/11? Do I simply add 1 hour to the expected arrival time?

At the appointed hour in the middle of the night, the clock will "spring forward" and your train will magically become an hour later than it was previously.

As with all late trains, it may make up some time. Or not. Who knows?

This talk of the Crescent and other trains terminating at Washington DC has me wondering; will this affect my trip in March 2018 on the Meteor? I would assume not, but you never know. I'm actually disembarking in PHL.

There are only so many roomettes available. Getting assigned one at the beginning insures you actually have one. Coach seats are not assigned.

OK. My trip is now just 73 days away and counting! In terms of gratuity, how does that work on a sleeper? I read that you should probably tip the attendant $10. But, how much would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

$10 per night, per person seems to be the often quoted standard - if the level of service the TA-SC provides has been acceptable.

If the service has been above and beyond then a larger tip would be appropriate.

If the service has been below average then a smaller tip would be appropriate.

Other considerations may apply.

I travel by myself in a roomette and I have the TA-SC leave the roomette in the Day configuration the entire trip.

I sleep in the upper bunk (upstairs).

Consequently, I don't require quite as much service from the TA-SC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoy your luxury trip. Have fun and avoid anyone who keeps glancing at the time of day.

Well, just 28 days until the big day!! I’ve checked out the Kissimmee station, did research, so I just have to wait until the big day. I’m supposed to arrive in Philadelphia at 9:30 AM. However, is the Meteor often delayed? I checked today, and it didn’t arrive in PHL until 10:36. I’m supposed to catch a Keystone to ELT at 10:55. I assume I would just take a later Keystone, as that train is unreserved?

Well, just 28 days until the big day!! I’ve checked out the Kissimmee station, did research, so I just have to wait until the big day. I’m supposed to arrive in Philadelphia at 9:30 AM. However, is the Meteor often delayed? I checked today, and it didn’t arrive in PHL until 10:36. I’m supposed to catch a Keystone to ELT at 10:55. I assume I would just take a later Keystone, as that train is unreserved?

Correct. All Keystones are unreserved, so just hop on the next one heading for E-Town. If needed, you could even use the Pennsylvanian - also unreserved between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, and it stops at E-Town.

I might have hit a snag. Back in September, I started having back issues, which has culminated in me being in almost constant pain as of today. I am scheduled to have lower back surgery on March 23, just 13 days after my trip. I was looking at the Viewliner Roomette specifications, and I am not sure if I will be comfortable in that small a room. I am a large person, with a 60-inch waist. Add to the fact I now have back pain. I really still want to make this trip, as I have been planning for a long time. I do have a handicapped parking placard, as well as an official person with a disability form. I am asking all you people on the forum: What should I do?

The Silver Meteor has 3 "H" rooms, one in each car. They often sell out, but not always. I would phone Amtrak to see if there are H rooms available for your trip and if you qualify to switch rooms at no extra cost.

Thanks. They’ve changed my leg of the trip from PHL to ELT. I’m now on train 43. I’ve decided to keep my trip on. I should be okay in a Roomette. Plus, I’ve been waiting for this trip a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Tomorrow is the big day! I’m going to take Lyft from my hotel to the Kissimmee station. Is there anything else I need to know?

Have a wonderful trip and let us know what you think of the Meteor and 30th Street Philly!
default_smile.png

Keep in mind that if for any reason you do not wish to use the dining car, you can make arrangements with your SCA to have your meal brought to your roomette. The earlier you can let them know, the better, it helps with timing.

Back