Hurricane Sandy and Amtrak.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all Amtrak related, but this is too cool a picture not to share:

377457_10151202408468236_1645987525_n.jpg
Place on FB that talks about this. Says these guys haven't missed a step since 1937.

Hurricane Sandy Request from FEMA: Text and Facebook, Don’t Talk

Our friends over at the Federal Emergency Management Agency have a request – stay off your phones. At least refrain from putting them up to your ear and making a call.

Knowing that texts and Facebook/Twitter updates hog less precious bandwidth than a voice call, FEMA has asked people to keep their talking to a minimum. If you need to tell your loved ones you are ok, shoot them a text or update your Facebook status.
...and post here at AU, too. Your friends here want to know that you're okay.

Great Picture Ryan! :cool: Having lived in the WAS Area I always wondered how these folks stood the Summers let alone the Winters!

Storms such as the current one are really Tough! With Veteran's Day on the Way it's a great Reminder to All of Us that we need to Remember these Real Heroes that Sacrifice So Much for Us!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen the projected wave heights in the Great Lakes? 22' to 25'? WOW!. Also the flood alerts appear to cover the area through which the Amtrak route from Chicago East passes. Any idea how high the tracks are relative to Lake Michigan? Apparently the north to south prevailing direction of the storm winds will pile up a lot of water against the south shore of Lake Michigan causing very significant flooding.

For the Cardinal, this is what the NWS is saying about WV:

WVZ035>038-046-047-291830-/O.CON.KRLX.BZ.W.0001.121029T1600Z-121031T2000Z/

RALEIGH-FAYETTE-NICHOLAS-WEBSTER-POCAHONTAS-RANDOLPH-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BECKLEY...OAK HILL...FAYETTEVILLE...

MONTGOMERY...SUMMERSVILLE...RICHWOOD...CRAIGSVILLE...COWEN...

MARLINTON...ELKINS

625 AM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 4 PM EDT

WEDNESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...VERY ELEVATION DEPENDENT WITH THE BEST CHANCES

ACROSS HIGH TERRAIN...BUT CAN NOT BE RULED OUT IN THE VALLEYS.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW...AND STRONG GUSTY WINDS.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...RANGING FROM 1 TO 6 INCHES BELOW 2000

FEET...TO 1 TO 3 FEET ABOVE 3000 FEET.

* WINDS...INCREASING THIS AFTERNOON WITH GUSTS OF 35 TO 45 MPH.

SOME OF THE HIGHEST RIDGES COULD GUST TO NEAR 50 MPH.

* TIMING...PERIODS OF SNOW...MIXED WITH RAIN FOR THE VALLEYS...

WILL INCREASE IN INTENSITY DURING THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

THE BRUNT OF THE STORM OCCURS OVERNIGHT TONIGHT AND ON TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS...THE HEAVY WET SNOW MAY BRING DOWN TREE LIMBS...

CAUSING POWER OUTAGES OR FLUCTUATIONS. SNOW LOADING...OR THE

WEIGHT OF THE SNOW...MAY CAUSE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE...INCLUDING

COLLAPSING ROOFS. THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND WIND WOULD LEAD

TO BLOWING SNOW AND REDUCED VISIBILITY.
Not looking good for the next while.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Here in ALX things are starting to go downhill with high winds - but nothing like is forecast for later today and tonight - and heavy rains.
Thanks for this update re: Cardinal. I just noticed that on Facebook, Amtrak has updated its service cancellations information for service tomorrow and that includes the Cardinal that will run from Chicago to Indianapolis only, so no Cincinnati service and beyond.

I also see that the LSL is still not operating. Here's hoping I can get home Thursday night and that I still have a house to go home to! :(

Be safe out there everyone!!!

Latest Amtrak alert from Facebook. Looks like the one on Amtrak.com is the same.

Most Amtrak Service in the Northeast Remains Suspended on Tuesday, October 30

by Amtrak on Monday, October 29, 2012 at 10:44am ·

Passengers urged to follow developments on Amtrak.com and our Facebook and Twitter sites

Hurricane Sandy, with associated high winds and heavy rains, combined with emergency declarations in several states, has led Amtrak to cancel all services in the Northeast Corridor through Tuesday, October 30.

All Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Keystone and Shuttle services are canceled for trains originating on that date. Also Empire Service, Adirondack, Vermonter, Ethan Allenand Pennsylvanian train services are suspended, along with the overnight Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto and Silver Meteor trains.

The result is the suspension of all Amtrak service from Boston south to Raleigh, North Carolina, and from the East Coast to Chicago, New Orleans and Florida. Amtrak stations in the affected areas and along the affected routes should be considered closed.

Exceptions:

• The Carolinian (Trains 79 & 80), will operate only between Charlotte and Raleigh rather than originating and terminating in New York City and Piedmont service (Trains 73-76) within North Carolina will operate normally.
  • The Silver Star (Trains 91 & 92) will operate only between Jacksonville, Tampa and Miami, Fla., rather than originating and terminating in New York City.
  • The Maple Leaf (Trains 63 & 64) will operate only between Toronto, Ontario, Canada and Albany-Rensselaer, N.Y., rather than originating and terminating at New York City.
  • The Cardinal (Train 50) will operate only between Chicago and Indianapolis, rather than terminating in New York City.

Amtrak Thruway Bus Services associated with these canceled trains are also suspended. Alternate transportation for canceled services is not available.

Dates for service restorations are pending. Amtrak will update this statement by 6:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, October 30, or as needed.

While Amtrak will be contacting passengers who have provided information in their reservations, customers are encouraged to monitor Amtrak.com/alerts and those Northeast Corridor passengers on Acela Express, Northeast Regional or Keystone Service trains can follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter to be notified when updates are posted on Amtrak.com. Amtrak will also be providing updates on the Facebook.com/Amtrak andTwitter.com/Amtrak pages.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visitAmtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

As of now, Google is showing the predicted storm track to go almost exactly over Bear, DE, and just south of Wilmington. Here's wishing the best to AmtrakBlue and others in that area. Let's also hope that the Amtrak maintenance facilities there -- and its rolling stock -- aren't damaged, since we all know that Amtrak doesn't have any to spare.

Don't know why, but there's a song, well the title words, are stuck in my head. Stormy Weather...

So far just minor leak through a window that gave problems last year (which is why I have a tarp under it). I put a rolled towel there to absorb the water which is helping for now. Landlord caulked it after Irene but apparently that didn't hold. The worst winds are just a few hours away.

Bear is about 20 mins southwest of me.

I've not heard a single train horn in the distance all day. Not that I could hear them over the winds anyway, even if anything was moving through ALX. The trees are swaying wildly, the rains continue to fall, smaller branches thud on the roof from time to time, but so far we are doing okay. Power is still on and no damge as far as I can tell. I'm not going outside to have a look right now! The leaves are mostly off the trees, so that is in our favor.

To no surprise, OPM announced several hours ago that the Fed. Govt. will be closed again tomorrow in the DC region. VRE and Marc have cancelled service Tuesday and Metro will not operate at least in the morning. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is currently closed.

As of now, Google is showing the predicted storm track to go almost exactly over Bear, DE, and just south of Wilmington. Here's wishing the best to AmtrakBlue and others in that area. Let's also hope that the Amtrak maintenance facilities there -- and its rolling stock -- aren't damaged, since we all know that Amtrak doesn't have any to spare.
I think that might be off. My understanding is that the storm center is passing a little farther north rand hitting land over NJ

Nevermind, I forget that when I think "over NJ" that it is actually just east of Delaware. So yes, it might hit NJ first (like Cape May) but then as it heads west hit Delaware. My apologies!

Nevermind, I forget that when I think "over NJ" that it is actually just east of Delaware. So yes, it might hit NJ first (like Cape May) but then as it heads west hit Delaware. My apologies!
That's ok. At least you know Delaware is a state and not a city in PA. Yes, I know there is at least one city called Delaware (OH).

They say she just came ashore north of Cape May.

Ohio Report: Winds are really picking up in last hour. Gusting now to around 45-50. A little rain and around 40 degrees all day. Supposed to sustain these winds for at least another 24 hours.

Wishing all of you on the East Coast the best

Ohio Report: Winds are really picking up in last hour. Gusting now to around 45-50. A little rain and around 40 degrees all day. Supposed to sustain these winds for at least another 24 hours.

Aren't you glad we wanted to share this historic storm with you?

Aren't you glad we wanted to share this historic storm with you?
I think there is plenty of Sandy as to be able to share it with our friends to the west. :)

All bridges between Philly & NJ are closed till 2 am and the interstates & Rt 1 in/near Philly are closed also till 2 am. This is when the worst winds are expected to occur around here.

Why does the worst of the weather always have to happen during my bed time?? :(

The_traveler in Rhode Island is without power and internet, however he was able to send a text.

Still have our power, for now. I've been monitoring our power company's outage map and there are outages around us.

The_traveler in Rhode Island is without power and internet, however he was able to send a text.
Over 100K people in RI without power (luckily I am not one of them). It is apparently winder and worse down by the_traveler than by me in the RI capitol city.

Relatives in Virginia tell me they're OK but very waterlogged. One relative lives about one mile from the coast.

Still hanging in here - wind is as bad as it was during the June Derecho, but instead of being over in a few minutes we're getting hours and hours and hours of it.

Power has flickered twice and outages are starting to pile up - hopefully we'll stay up for a while longer.

I know that this storm is actually having quite an impact. Since I got home at about 3:30, I have been facebook chatting nonstop with all my east coast friends. Three of my friends in Boston have had trees go down in their yards. 1 of these has flickering power. One of my classmates last year who's a freshman at Harvard says there have been plenty of branches coming down. This really is important, even up there. My best friend in New Jersey says things are pretty bad, but full power is still on. Down in Philly, it was surprisingly calm, and then a friend in Northern Virginia was still and has kept power, but it is incredibly wet. Two friends in "the City" both stayed at home, but one lives in the Bronx, and the other in Flushing. Best regards go out to all. It makes me feel guilty that today was 75 and sunny. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back