Hurricane Sandy and Amtrak.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some N.J. Transit Rail Service Will Resume on Friday

New Jersey Transit rail service, which has been suspended since Hurricane Sandy, will resume limited service on Friday, Gov. Chris Christie announced Thursday night. But service to New York Penn Station will remain suspended, with trains terminating in Newark.

Three lines will be running, all of them on special schedules:

• Northeast Corridor trains will resume between Trenton and Newark Penn Station.

• The North Jersey Coast Line will run between Woodbridge and Newark Penn Station, but service between Bay Head and Woodbridge will remain suspended.

• The Raritan Valley Line will resume between Raritan and Newark Penn Station, but service between High Bridge and Raritan will remain suspended.

from the MTA of the pump train working down at South Ferry. When this video was shot the pump train was right at the interlocking where the old line to the South Ferry loop intersects with the new line to the relatively new station that opened about 2 years ago or so. As a guess, that puts the train at least 3 blocks away from the actual station, maybe more.

Gov. Cuomo just announced that the Hudson Line will be operating at full service all the way to Croton-Harmon tomorrow as well as full Harlem Line service. Hopefully we'll start to see Amtrak service up to Albany by Friday or even Saturday as well.
This depends on how fast a massive washout can be fixed north of Croton-Harmon, which is said to require "eight rail cars of ballast". That will probably have to be delivered from the north by rail, which means the line has to be restored from Albany down to Cortlandt first, and I have no idea how fast that's going. In fact, I'm not even sure who's doing it -- the line is CSX-controlled north of Poughkeepsie but was scheduled to be transferred to Amtrak tomorrow!

There also may be problems in the Empire Connection tunnel near Penn Station, I've heard no reports on that, but areas directly over it were flooded...

There also may be problems in the Empire Connection tunnel near Penn Station, I've heard no reports on that, but areas directly over it were flooded...
That Empire Connection tunnel comes in on the southern side of Penn by 31st Street. The flooding came through from the LIRR Westend yard on the north side by 33rd. Street. In between are the two North River tubes, which took all the water that made it past the barrier that the LIRR had erected in the hope of stopping all flooding. Sadly the river and tidal surge over topped the barrier for a few hours, which is what led to the flooding in the tunnels.

So those tunnels in effect saved the Empire Corridor's tunnel. Of course I'm sure that Amtrak would have preferred the opposite!

Amtrak reports #80 into NYP just a little late. Doesn't list times for Trenton or Newark.

PHL * * 1 711P * 712P Departed: 1 minute late.

TRE * * 1 743P

NWK * * 1 823P

* NYP 1 843P * * 918P * Arrived: 35 minutes late.

I'm wondering if it bypassed those stations and if so what track it was running on? Or maybe the stations are closed so couldn't discharge passengers? Or maybe just nobody logged the times.

Still pretty impressive to have service back up this soon.

AMTRAK NORTHEAST CORRIDOR SERVICE RESTORATION PLAN FOR NOVEMBER 2

Acela Express and Northeast Regional modified service Boston-New York City-Washington, D.C.; other services also restored following Hurricane Sandy

November 1, 2012

6:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak will provide Acela Express and Northeast Regional modified service on the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington, D.C., via New York City, on Friday, November 2. Before traveling to Boston-South Station, New York-Penn Station, Philadelphia-30th Street Station, or other Amtrak locations, passengers should make reservations and/or use the eTicketing option with their computers and smartphones.

Amtrak services to and from New York City are subject to delay while repairs continue.

Other plans, full and modified service, for Friday, November 2:

Keystone Service trains to and from Harrisburg, Penn., will primarily originate and terminate in Philadelphia, rather than New York

Crescent (Trains 19 & 20) will operate only between Washington D.C. and New Orleans, rather than originating and terminating in New York

Pennsylvanian (Trains 42 & 43), will operate normally Pittsburgh-New York

Cardinal (Train 51) will operate only between Indianapolis and Chicago, rather than originating and terminating in New York

Vermonter (Train 55) will originate in Springfield, Mass., rather than St. Albans, Vt., while Vermonter (Train 56) will operate normally from Washington, D.C., and terminate in St. Albans

Maple Leaf (Trains 63 & 64) will operate only between Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and Albany-Rensselaer, rather than originating and terminating in New York

Carolinian (Trains 79 & 80) will operate normally New York-Charlotte

Palmetto (Trains 89 & 90) will operate normally New York-Savannah, including connecting Amtrak Thruway Bus Service

Silver Star (Train 91) will originate in Jacksonville, rather than New York and (Train 92) will operate normally between Miami and New York

Silver Meteor (Trains 97 & 98) will operate normally New York-Miami

Lake Shore Limited (Trains 448 & 449) will operate normally Chicago-Boston, with no service to points south of Albany-Rensselaer, rather than (Trains 48 & 49) originating and terminating in New York

Repairs by other track owners also continue for the route between New York City and Albany-Rensselaer, with no estimate available for a restoration date for Empire Service trains between New York City and Buffalo/Niagara Falls, the Adirondack (Trains 68 & 69) to and from Montreal, Québec, Canada, and the Ethan Allen Express (Trains 290 & 291) to and from Rutland, Vt.

Customers are encouraged to monitor Amtrak.com/alerts and those Northeast Corridor passengers on Acela Express, Northeast Regional or Keystone Service trains can follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter to be notified when updates are posted on Amtrak.com. Amtrak will also be providing updates on its Facebook.com/Amtrak and Twitter.com/Amtrak pages.

Amtrak will update this statement by Friday evening, November 2.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

AMTRAK NORTHEAST CORRIDOR SERVICE RESTORATION PLAN FOR NOVEMBER 2

Acela Express and Northeast Regional modified service Boston-New York City-Washington, D.C.; other services also restored following Hurricane Sandy

November 1, 2012

6:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak will provide Acela Express and Northeast Regional modified service on the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington, D.C., via New York City, on Friday, November 2. Before traveling to Boston-South Station, New York-Penn Station, Philadelphia-30th Street Station, or other Amtrak locations, passengers should make reservations and/or use the eTicketing option with their computers and smartphones.

Amtrak services to and from New York City are subject to delay while repairs continue.

Other plans, full and modified service, for Friday, November 2:

Keystone Service trains to and from Harrisburg, Penn., will primarily originate and terminate in Philadelphia, rather than New York

Crescent (Trains 19 & 20) will operate only between Washington D.C. and New Orleans, rather than originating and terminating in New York

Pennsylvanian (Trains 42 & 43), will operate normally Pittsburgh-New York

Cardinal (Train 51) will operate only between Indianapolis and Chicago, rather than originating and terminating in New York

Vermonter (Train 55) will originate in Springfield, Mass., rather than St. Albans, Vt., while Vermonter (Train 56) will operate normally from Washington, D.C., and terminate in St. Albans

Maple Leaf (Trains 63 & 64) will operate only between Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and Albany-Rensselaer, rather than originating and terminating in New York

Carolinian (Trains 79 & 80) will operate normally New York-Charlotte

Palmetto (Trains 89 & 90) will operate normally New York-Savannah, including connecting Amtrak Thruway Bus Service

Silver Star (Train 91) will originate in Jacksonville, rather than New York and (Train 92) will operate normally between Miami and New York

Silver Meteor (Trains 97 & 98) will operate normally New York-Miami

Lake Shore Limited (Trains 448 & 449) will operate normally Chicago-Boston, with no service to points south of Albany-Rensselaer, rather than (Trains 48 & 49) originating and terminating in New York

Repairs by other track owners also continue for the route between New York City and Albany-Rensselaer, with no estimate available for a restoration date for Empire Service trains between New York City and Buffalo/Niagara Falls, the Adirondack (Trains 68 & 69) to and from Montreal, Québec, Canada, and the Ethan Allen Express (Trains 290 & 291) to and from Rutland, Vt.

Customers are encouraged to monitor Amtrak.com/alerts and those Northeast Corridor passengers on Acela Express, Northeast Regional or Keystone Service trains can follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter to be notified when updates are posted on Amtrak.com. Amtrak will also be providing updates on its Facebook.com/Amtrak and Twitter.com/Amtrak pages.

Amtrak will update this statement by Friday evening, November 2.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.
Fantastic! Great news all around. I am very impressed with Amtrak's progress, and the progress by all transportation agencies throughout this. Although it left a lot to be desired, I'd still say Amtrak has been better about updating the status throughout the storm and recovery than previously. Glad to see things returning to normal, and I'm especially glad that the damaged and in some places fully-down catenary on the New Haven Line was restored to be able to provide service.

Although it left a lot to be desired, I'd still say Amtrak has been better about updating the status throughout the storm and recovery than previously.
I think you're right. Someone at Amtrak has finally figured out how to update their website, although it generally takes them longer to do that than to post the same material on Facebook and Twitter.

Now, why can the Silver Meteor operate normally all the way to NYC, but the Silver Star only go as far north as JAX? CJ
This is equipment positioning again; the same reason why the Capitol Limited only ran one-way the first day it was restored, and why the Vermonter is running to St. Albans in one direction and not the other on Friday.

During the NEC shutdown, the Silver Meteor ran to WAS and the Silver Star shuttled around Florida. No, I'm not sure why they didn't go to WAS, but that seems to be a common 'emergency operations plan' for Amtrak; they've done it before; perhaps without New York City service there just isn't enough demand to run both the Star and the Meteor.

So, too many Silver Star trainsets are in Florida. The southbound has to start at JAX because that's where it *is*. The northbound will run all the way through to NYP, and then turn to become a southbound, and we'll eventually get back to normal.

Exactly how many days of "half moves" are necessary depends on exactly how many of the trainsets were moved to Florida, which of course I don't know, versus how many were kept in Washington or somewhere similarly 'north'. I'm sure Amtrak is trying to get everything up and running ASAP.

Now, why can the Silver Meteor operate normally all the way to NYC, but the Silver Star only go as far north as JAX? CJ
A couple of sets of equipment got trapped in Sunnyside, I think. I'd expect the Star to be heading "back to normal" in a day or two, but...note that Amtrak ran the Meteor only to WAS as the storm was approaching. They were trying to keep equipment out of the NEC. The only shame is that they weren't able to deadhead some more equipment out of Sunnyside ahead of the storm, but...eh, nobody knew how bad this was going to get.

The only shame is that they weren't able to deadhead some more equipment out of Sunnyside ahead of the storm, but...eh, nobody knew how bad this was going to get.
While the storm was a bit worse than expected, they didn't dead head more equipment out because they knew it was safe. NY has 3 flood zone areas. Sunnyside is partly in zone 2 and part in zone 3. Only zone 1 was ever affected by the storm in terms of storm surge. So the equipment was quite safe.

What no one expected was the fact that the surge would over top the barrier that the LIRR erected to stop the expected flooding in the West End yard from flooding the North River tunnels. I'm still trying to figure out just how the surge reached the East River tunnels, or rather how it hit 2 of the 4 tunnels. The Line 2 tunnel shown in the video opening is within the zone 1 or A flood zone which was impacted by the surge. So it does make some sense that tunnel went down. But the other 3 tunnels all open within the zone 2 or B area which was out of the impacted area.

If you find out, let me know; I'm wondering about the dynamics of all of this. Likewise, I'm also wondering about how they're handling turning subway trains at Penn Station (i.e. are there enough crossover tracks to let them shift trains over to the opposite direction platforms? Or are they just using the express tracks for the reversals?).

Yeah, I know that 98 ran NB on Wednesday. I was on it (for the 4:20 AM arrival in Richmond). The questions are surrounding 92/91 (running only intrastate in Florida).

Surprised this did not get discussed yesterday, but Amtrak is in discussions with NJ Transit to provide Amtrak equipment to make up for the flood damaged NJT rolling stock and is talking to VIA about leasing VIA equipment for the NY state corridor services to make up for the equipment Amtrak may send to NJT. So VIA is a fall-back for a possible source of intercity passenger cars.

Wash Post article: "Amtrak to restore service from NYC to Boston on Friday, and send equipment to help NJ". It may behind a subscription wall, but this is a AP story, so it should be available elsewhere.

Key excerpt:

Boardman said he has also had discussions with Marc Laliberte, the president and chief executive of Via Rail Canada in Montreal, about borrowing trains for Amtrak’s New York state service. If that can be arranged, it would free up other Amtrak trains that could be sent to hard-hit New Jersey to provide commuter service, he said
The discussions were ongoing and no decision had been reached, Boardman said.

“We’re looking for ways to help,” he said. “We intend to be a major force to deliver mobility back to the Northeast.”

If you find out, let me know; I'm wondering about the dynamics of all of this. Likewise, I'm also wondering about how they're handling turning subway trains at Penn Station (i.e. are there enough crossover tracks to let them shift trains over to the opposite direction platforms? Or are they just using the express tracks for the reversals?).
NYCSubway.org has a full set of track maps for the subway system.

The 34th Street/Penn Station stations are on the Midtown map.

My H rode the 66 this morning from BOS - PVD PVD - BOS. It was practically empty. Very strange. The train was listed as sold out online and the ticket agents were not able to sell tickets for it, so the conductors made an announcement (there is generally 10 minutes dwell time) that anyone that didn't have a ticket should buy a ticket for the 190 and then just use it on the 66.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 34th Street/Penn Station stations are on the Midtown map.
As shown on the map linked to by Track29, the A trains pull into 34th Street on the local track making their final stop at 34th and discharging all pax. Then then pull out southbound and use the interlocking south of the station to cross to that middle layup track, change ends, and then pull out heading northbound to return to 168th Street on the local track.

In the case of the #1 & #2 trains, they pull into 42nd Street on the local track. Upon leaving there, they must cross over to the express track to pull into 34th Street. After discharging there, they change ends right on the express platform and pull back out north using the layup track in the middle so as to be able to cross over to the local track just south of 42nd Street.

It is because of this limited ability to turn trains in this are that normal service is not running on these lines. Normal rush hour service on the #1 for example would see a train every 2 to 3 minutes. AFAIK they're still running on 10 minute headways all day long because they simply cannot turn trains any faster at 34th Street.

This is why the ability of ConEd to restore power south of 39th Street is so critical. With that power back on, they could turn the #2 trains at 34th Street more or less normally by running them down the express tracks from 96th Street and probably even restore the #3 service. The #1 trains would continue down the local tracks all the way to Chambers Street, before they reversed ends. Similar arrangements could be done with the A & C trains, turning the express at 34th and the local at Chambers.

Or course it would help far more to get the East River tunnels back open, and I understand that the MTA is actually ready to restore 1 tunnel to service between lower Manhattan & Brooklyn once ConEd can provide power to them for the tunnel and the tracks in lower Manhattan. Even if they have no power for stations, they could at least run express through the blacked out area, relieving pressure on the buses if only they had power.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's the Friday update for Saturday:

AMTRAK NORTHEAST CORRIDOR SERVICE RESTORATION PLAN FOR NOVEMBER 3 AND NOVEMBER 4Acela Express and Northeast Regional regular weekend service Boston-New York City-Washington, D.C.: most overnight service is restored

November 2, 2012

2:45 p.m. ET

Amtrak will provide Acela Express and Northeast Regional regular weekend service on the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington, D.C., via New York City, on Saturday, November 3 and Sunday, November 4. To avoid the possibility of long lines at ticket offices and sold-out trains, passengers should make reservations and payment in advance through Amtrak.com, through the Amtrak app on a smartphone, or by calling 800-USA-RAIL.

Other plans, full and modified service, for Saturday, November 3 and Sunday, November 4:

Keystone Service trains will operate normally between Harrisburg, Penn., and New York

Crescent (Trains 19 & 20) will operate normally between New York and New Orleans

Cardinal (Train 50) will operate normally between Chicago and New York

Vermonter (Trains 54 & 57) will operate normally between St. Albans, Vt., and New York

Silver Star (Trains 91 & 92) will operate normally between Miami and New York

Amtrak will update this statement by Saturday evening, November 3, for service beginning Monday, November 5.

The full press release can be found here.

I have a scheduled trip on the 50 Cardinal on Sunday morning, from WV to NY. It's scheduled to get there at 10PM and every time I've taken this trip it gets there between 1AM and 2AM. Earlier this year I took the Cardinal to Philly and it got there at about 2AM, so NY was at least 3AM.

I caled Amtrak and asked about delays, and they said the train will likely be operating at slower speeds (no doubt between DC and NY, when it's often ~120 MPH i believe). I can imagine the train getting there after sunrise... They suggest it won't be very late. Anyone know what kind of delays they're seeing now on similar routes? I'm very tempted to drive instead.

DC-NY trains are only seeing ~10 minute delays now, which should improve further by Sunday. I doubt any delays for 50 would be on the corridor.

I have a scheduled trip on the 50 Cardinal on Sunday morning, from WV to NY. It's scheduled to get there at 10PM and every time I've taken this trip it gets there between 1AM and 2AM. Earlier this year I took the Cardinal to Philly and it got there at about 2AM, so NY was at least 3AM.

I caled Amtrak and asked about delays, and they said the train will likely be operating at slower speeds (no doubt between DC and NY, when it's often ~120 MPH i believe). I can imagine the train getting there after sunrise... They suggest it won't be very late. Anyone know what kind of delays they're seeing now on similar routes? I'm very tempted to drive instead.
The #50 Cardinal on-time performance has gotten better in recent months. Of course, with the amount of snow in WV, the train may get delayed running through WV and on the Buckingham Branch. The Cardinal is limited to 110 mph on the NEC because of the Heritage baggage car and Viewliner sleeper.

But, here are the times for the 4 eastbound trips using Amtrak Status map archives to look them up:

#50 (10/20) arrived WAS 1 hr 57 minutes late, arrived NYP 1:44 late

#50 (10/23) arrived WAS 1:14 late, arrived NYP 1:16 late

#50 (10/25) arrived WAS 7 minutes early, arrived NYP 27 mins early - probably one of the best runs in a long time

#50 (10/27) departed IND 1:20 late, arrived WAS 1:15 late, arrived NYP 1:10 late

So 1 trip to NYP getting in early, 3 arriving NYP between 1:10 and 1:44 late. At least they all arrived NYP before midnight. The trip this Sunday could be late because of the storm damage, but then again, if your end destination is the NYC region, driving may run into any number of traffic jams or closed roads in the Metro region.

I must have bad luck because every train that I take up that way is extremely late. From my experience recent months have been no better. I had trips in May and August.

That's good to hear about the minor delays between DC and NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back