High-speed rail travel featured on CBS News' Sunday Morning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cnyrider

Train Attendant
Scheduled for this coming Sunday (August 23rd) is a feature about high-speed rail in California. Below is a description of what will be covered, along with a link to the CBS News website. This comes on at 9:00 a.m. here in central New York (that's Eastern time, of course), but you know what they say. Check your local listings.

My apologies if this has already been posted. I did a quick search and didn't see any mention of this. Here are the details about this part of the program.

"UP NEXT: Aug. 23, 2009

COVER STORY: High-Speed Rail Travel

European and Asian countries have long had high speed rail service, with Japan starting its Bullet Trains in 1964 and France launching its TGV in 1981. Now, it may finally be our turn.

While we do already have the Acela train in the Northeast Corridor, which are capable of doing 150 mph, its tracks force it to run at average speeds of 80 mph. By contrast, in California they plan to go 220 mph.

Correspondent John Blackstone takes a look at the California High Speed Rail Authority proposal to make an 800 mile long high speed rail from San Francisco and Sacramento down to Los Angeles and San Diego. It will be expensive, an estimated $40 billion, but Californians have voted to approve a $9.9 billion bond issue, and the Obama administration is voicing its support for 10 high-speed rail corridors across the country. We'll take a ride into the future and see what the trains might be like."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/07/09/...ml?tag=hdr;cnav

Scheduled for this coming Sunday (August 23rd) is a feature about high-speed rail in California. Below is a description of what will be covered, along with a link to the CBS News website. This comes on at 9:00 a.m. here in central New York (that's Eastern time, of course), but you know what they say. Check your local listings.
My apologies if this has already been posted. I did a quick search and didn't see any mention of this. Here are the details about this part of the program.

European and Asian countries have long had high speed rail service, with Japan starting its Bullet Trains in 1964 and France launching its TGV in 1981. Now, it may finally be our turn.

While we do already have the Acela train in the Northeast Corridor, which are capable of doing 150 mph, its tracks force it to run at average speeds of 80 mph. By contrast, in California they plan to go 220 mph.

Correspondent John Blackstone takes a look at the California High Speed Rail Authority proposal to make an 800 mile long high speed rail from San Francisco and Sacramento down to Los Angeles and San Diego. It will be expensive, an estimated $40 billion, but Californians have voted to approve a $9.9 billion bond issue, and the Obama administration is voicing its support for 10 high-speed rail corridors across the country. We'll take a ride into the future and see what the trains might be like."

Thanks for the "heads up"!

You're welcome.

Thanks for the "heads up"!

Great aspiration for California, but right now it has more programmtic needs than money, and federal money is not going to grow on trees forever.

Overall I thought it was a good general purpose presentation. It was light on specifics but appropriate for the audience, IMHO.

I also thought it was well done. And while they were relatively small parts of the segment, I thought the clips with Walter Cronkite in Japan during the 1960's and Charles Osgood in France during the 1990's were especially interesting. Maybe, as was stated toward the end of the segment, high-speed rail will finally catch on in this country this century.

It was ok. I liked the overview but there always seems to be the usual negative undertone towards Amtrak. Phrases like "heavily subsidized" and "the Acela only goes 70-80mph", cropped up as usual. These sort of partial-truths irritate me.

They also mentioned that the planers believe that the C-HSR system will become profitable. Hmmmm. Profitable in what way? Above the rail possibly but above and below, I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back