Hiawatha MKA-CHI time keeping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Just booked a trip from MKA-CHI-FTW-OKC. Scheduled on 334 from MKA-CHI. Arrives at 12:29. The Eagle departs at 1:45, just 1:16 after the scheduled arrival of the Hiawatha. I assume the corridor trains have a pretty good record of performance, but not having much experience with this train thought I'd ask....anything to worry about with this connection? Any performance issues as of late?

Pretty much my experience with and knowledge of the Hiawatha is that they have to keep a tight schedule as they head back to MKE at 1:05. I have taken the Empire Builder (#7 which leaves at 2:15) over two dozen times and have observed boarding for the Hiawatha as we board from the same lounge as they do. I've never seen a late departure. Thus, you shouldn't have a problem making your connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
They keep about on schedule since they begin in MKE only. The possible delay is a conflict with METRA traffic, since METRA controls the tracks. But for the most part, you should be fine with that connection.

Perfect thanks, I'll stick with the 1110 departure. I like the thought of a 1 hour or so connection, rather than sitting around for 4 hours! Have to do that already in FTW the next day!

Living in Milwaukee and riding the Hiawatha many, many times (mostly for fun) since 2007, I don't remember a time when we were more than 10 - 15 minutes late getting in to CHI. I'm sure it's happened, but it's the rare exception.

Have a great trip!

I, too, have ridden Hiawathas dozens of times, and can only recall being more than 15ish minutes late a few times. However, one caveat is that delays, when they do occur, can cascade and cause many Hiawathas to be delayed for the rest of the day. Many of the turns at MKE and CHI are in the 30-minute range, so if one train suffers a 30+ minute delay, those delays can carry on to later trains.

When I connect to a Chicago train, I usually try to track the earlier Hiawathas because of what Eric S. states. If I see an early morning train in trouble, I might jump on an earlier train, but it is a very rare occurrence. Enjoy your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back