Heritage Car question.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amtrakrulez

Is it true that Amtrak will begin to phase out its Heritage cars? If so, which ones will they retire?

Thanks! B)

I don't think that I've heard anything official that they are going to phase them out. However it doesn't surprise me since they are all well over 50 years old and it gets harder and harder to find parts for them, not to mention more expensive to find those parts.

It does appear that Amtrak has started phasing out the old Heritage single level crew dorms, or at least many are down for heavy maintaince work, since many trains are now running without them.

They have begun to Phase out the Dorms as well as a number of baggage cars. With the redeployment of the Superliner I Baggage Coach they have been able to eliminate the baggage car for smaller services like the City of New Orleans, the Texas Eagle, and the Sunset Limited. As Simplified Dining Continues to grow eventually the Dining Car will be cut off as well.

As Simplified Dining Continues to grow eventually the Dining Car will be cut off as well.
Oddly enough though, so far Beech Grove has only turned out one Amfleet in a Diner Lite configuration. You would think that they would be pushing the single level side much harder with the aging single level diners, yet that would not appear to be the case.

On the other hand, there are reports out now that indicate that 13 Superliner I diners are undergoing the needed renovations for diner lite. :(

Carmen were told a few weeks ago to check Dorm cars wheels for last trip to BG.

28018 is in HIA for PM and is a Diner/Lounge!!!!!!! Looks great!!!!!!!!!

MJ B)

As Simplified Dining Continues to grow eventually the Dining Car will be cut off as well.
Oddly enough though, so far Beech Grove has only turned out one Amfleet in a Diner Lite configuration. You would think that they would be pushing the single level side much harder with the aging single level diners, yet that would not appear to be the case.

On the other hand, there are reports out now that indicate that 13 Superliner I diners are undergoing the needed renovations for diner lite. :(
ummmmm..."renovations for diner lite"??? they don't exist - I've worked Superliners I and II with both the old diner service and the "diner lite" (actually called Simplified Dining Service) and the only differences have nothing to do with equipment - they were (and now this has changed back) not using the grill, but leaving them in, and of course switching to plasticware, but the needs and capabilities of the cars are no different - perhaps you're referring to the upgrade, much the same as many of the Obs/Lounge cars have received, with the new blue color scheme, higher-backed seats, table seating (four or six, depending on the generation), new carpeting and lighting, etc. - a comparable change is going on in the diners, in terms of colors and lighting, with added storage space for the SA's on each side of the diner (more refrigerators = less spoilage due to equipment failure!)

Last edited by a moderator:

ummmmm..."renovations for diner lite"??? they don't exist - I've worked Superliners I and II with both the old diner service and the "diner lite" (actually called Simplified Dining Service) and the only differences have nothing to do with equipment - they were (and now this has changed back) not using the grill, but leaving them in, and of course switching to plasticware, but the needs and capabilities of the cars are no different - perhaps you're referring to the upgrade, much the same as many of the Obs/Lounge cars have received, with the new blue color scheme, higher-backed seats, table seating (four or six, depending on the generation), new carpeting and lighting, etc. - a comparable change is going on in the diners, in terms of colors and lighting, with added storage space for the SA's on each side of the diner (more refrigerators = less spoilage due to equipment failure!)
No, diner lite is not SDS. SDS is exactly what you've described and part of the reason for it was to cut staffing costs and in theory food costs, and as I showed in my analysis of SDS it also cut revenue so there is little if any savings. Food service will still loose just as much money as it has in the past, due to the reduced income from the diner. Part of the reason for SDS was prepretory for Diner Lite.

Diner Lite is the program that combines the dining car and the lounge car functions into one car. The redisgned diner lite cars will serve as both a cafe car and a dining car. This will further cut staffing levels and save Amtrak the expense of hauling around two cars to provide in theory the same service that they believe they can provide in one car.

The odds are though that this will not save Amtrak any money, will further hurt sales from the dining car, and will probably cost Amtrak even more money thanks to reduced ridership on the trains. Not to mention that it basically sacrifices the popular Sightseer Lounge cars from performing their primary function, allowing people to view the scenery. Most likely this was a plan that was drafted by someone or a team that has never set foot on a long distance train and has no clue about the logistics of a long distance train. Putting numbers on a piece of paper may look good when you add them up, but when you try to apply them to real life conditions one doesn't always produce the same results that you got from the piece of paper.

The problem is that so many people were (and some still are) incorrectly calling Simplified Dining Service as "Diner Lite" for so long that it's hard to tell what someone is talking about when they actually say "Diner Lite."

That said, I don't know what official Amtrak documentation refers to Diner Lite, and am too tired to look it up right now.

Are there any photos out there of the interior of the Amfleet diner/lounge?

For what it's worth, an Amtrak document I saw recently indicated that there are still 22 Heritage dining cars in service, but only 14 dorm cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little info!!!!!!!!!!

28018 still has the lounge look with few changes. Here's the changes.

The interior has the AMF II retrofit colors of blue and white, with wood paneling in the center section. There is no floor carpet.

The "A" end still has the same booth configuration, but a "stand up" refrigerator has been installed outside the right side wall of the service area, replacing a boothseat.

Service area looks the same. Only change is a microwave oven and convection oven mounted in the normal areas on both sides of the counter.

The "B" end has booth seating now!!!! The unisex bathroom has been removed and a storage closet was built.

A boothseat has been eliminated for a "wheelchair space" at a table behind the large restroom.

MJ B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back