Here is a story from a former Amtrak engineer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was posted on railfan.net this person is now a dispatcher for BNSF and dispatches my line.

Hi Group,

Before I went dispatching, I was an engineer for Amtrak in So. Calif. One night I was running a train from San Diego to Los Angeles (AMtrak has just one person in the cab on runs less than 4 hours) I was running at 90 MPH through Carlsbad when a woman wearing a walkman and pushing a baby stroller ignored the lowered gates and whistle and went around the gates. I blew the whistle for all it was worth. The woman kept on coming she went out of view I spang up from my seat and ran to the other side of the cab only to see the woman giving me the finger and expressing all sorts of filth. My first reaction (I had a less than 1 year old at home) was how could anyone endanger the life of their child, let alone themselves, and what about the poor SOB (or b's) that are on that locomotive. VERY selfish. Most people don't think about those few seconds that seem like hours....I set the air (as emergency would have been fruitless) and made a full reduction. The conductor came on the radio and asked "did we just hit one ?" I said you'll never know how close. The only one's I feel sorry for in crossing accidents are the poor souls who have to be on the leading end of a train when some careless safetyless person takes it apon themselves to disregard the very safety appliances there to protect them.

EGJ

The only one's I feel sorry for in crossing accidents are the poor souls who have to be on the leading end of a train when some careless safetyless person takes it apon themselves to disregard the very safety appliances there to protect them.
Amen to that. And don't forget the other lives lost or altered to the innocent on board (i.e. Bourbonais, Metrolink).

Maybe she thought she had the right of way and trains should stop for pedestrians at crossings.. Sounds strange, but people think trains are like busses and can stop on a dime.

Just a thought.......................... :unsure:

Yes that's exactly why millions of dollars are spent on crossing devices with BIG lights, LOUD bells, and don't forget about all those bells, whistles, and lights on the engine/cab car.

Aloha

Glad you had god on your side that day. I've know some that never got over the accident even though there was nothing they could have done to prevent it.

Keep's me thinking about making a T-shirt "it's not about YOU, it is about US!"

Back