Help needed with long distance Amtrak trip planning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've probably done the CZ 10 times, and never got tired of it. There's a lot of history you can bone up on before you do it again. The Moffat tunnel alone is worth the trip, okay maybe second to the Sierra crossing. I miss the days where they would send the CZ "over the top" of the Sierras to get it out of the way of the freights. The "over the top" no longer exists...

I regularly ride the Silver trains from Florida to points north including once to NYC. Very pleasant. The Star has returned to traditional dining. They are also using the new Viewliner equipment as it comes into service. I leave from Tampa which is a convenient point to do many things. TPA is walkable. Not sure about Miami as MIA is actually in Hialeah and it's a congested urban area. If you must travel in January stick to the more southerly routes. The Empire Builder is on my bucket list but the Zephyr is much more interesting in the winter because of the mountain scenery. Back in 2008 in the late spring, I rode the train from Charlotte NC to Boston MA. Stopping in Washington DC for two nights, NYC for a night, and then on to Providence Rhode Island. My brother lives in NYC so I crashed on his couch. My mother had a medical conference in Cape Cod and flew into Providence. I met my parents at the airport and we drove a rental to the Cape. So I only had to spring for two hotel nights in DC. I got to see a lot of stuff in 10 days. On the return trip, I took a train from Providence to NYC spent a night, and then the Carolinian from NYC to CLT where I live. Quite convenient. About 60% of the cost of that vacation was the train fare.

Hmm Sharky Jnr has asked if EB followed SWC would be a good option !! (which is one that I could be easily persuaded to do)

Hmm Sharky Jnr has asked if EB followed SWC would be a good option !! (which is one that I could be easily persuaded to do)
These trains do not connect in CHI. Even if on-time, the Empire Builder arrives at 4:45PM, which is after the 2:50pm departure of that day's SW Chief. Of course, if you felt like spending a night and morning in Chicago, it would be a spectacular trip!

Last month, I was accommodated within a couple blocks of CHI Union Station after an extremely late EB arrival. The hotel was the Canopy by Hilton Chicago Central Loop, and I felt the room was quite nice. I'd stay there again if I needed a room close to the station. The location is great for walking around.

For inspiration, here are some photos from my "late eight" Empire Builder in January:
eastbound24_2.jpgeastbound24_3.jpgeastbound24_4.jpgeastbound24_5.jpg

These trains do not connect in CHI. Even if on-time, the Empire Builder arrives at 4:45PM, which is after the 2:50pm departure of that day's SW Chief. Of course, if you felt like spending a night and morning in Chicago, it would be a spectacular trip!

Last month, I was accommodated within a couple blocks of CHI Union Station after an extremely late EB arrival. The hotel was the Canopy by Hilton Chicago Central Loop, and I felt the room was quite nice. I'd stay there again if I needed a room close to the station. The location is great for walking around.

For inspiration, here are some photos from my "late eight" Empire Builder in January:
View attachment 35852View attachment 35853View attachment 35854View attachment 35855

Thank you for the reminder about sleepovers.
If I go EB from Sea to Chi, then SWC from Chi to Lax, I'll need a sleepover in Sea on my first night, Chi on my second night and then I can fly back from Lax at any time, with it being a 08.00 arrival.

If I go SWC Chi to Lax, then CS from Lax to Sea, I'll need 3 sleepovers, as I don't currently feel confident in a sub 2 hour connection in Lax (even though the connection would be guaranteed).

Choices, Choices !

Re: fares.

We have found that booking two roomettes is almost always cheaper than booking a full bedroom and sometimes cheaper than the family bedroom because our second roomette is about 2/3 the price of the first one. Is that because we are seniors or is that true for everyone?

Re: comfort.

While we prefer to have 2 roomettes directly across from each other, we happily sit together in one roomette most of the day and then sleep separately on the lower bunks at night. We do want the rooms on opposite sides of the car, of course. For daytime sitting we pick the room with the best viewing and may actually move from one to the other for the occasional waterfall or other special view. We do not find the sitting in one room uncomfortable but of course we are not bound to our seats as on an airplane or a bus or in the car. When there is a view car we take advantage of it as well.

We bring only one multi-tap extension and keep our devices charged all day so that when separating for the night we each have a fully charged tablet and cell phone.

The Empire Builder from Seattle does not go through the Columbia Gorge. The Baby Builder leg from Portland does, but it leaves going eastbound late in the afternoon. So, in winter you would miss most of that experience due to the shorter days. In summer, it is spectacular.
For this, and the risk of weather related snafus, I wouldn't recommend the northern route in winter.
The northbound Coast Starlight from LA is a wonderful ride, still my favorite of Amtrak trains. If you can make it work with one of the southern cross-country routes, I would do that even if you have to spend an extra night.

Re: fares.

We have found that booking two roomettes is almost always cheaper than booking a full bedroom and sometimes cheaper than the family bedroom because our second roomette is about 2/3 the price of the first one. Is that because we are seniors or is that true for everyone?

Re: comfort.

While we prefer to have 2 roomettes directly across from each other, we happily sit together in one roomette most of the day and then sleep separately on the lower bunks at night. We do want the rooms on opposite sides of the car, of course. For daytime sitting we pick the room with the best viewing and may actually move from one to the other for the occasional waterfall or other special view. We do not find the sitting in one room uncomfortable but of course we are not bound to our seats as on an airplane or a bus or in the car. When there is a view car we take advantage of it as well.

We bring only one multi-tap extension and keep our devices charged all day so that when separating for the night we each have a fully charged tablet and cell phone.

I appreciate that it's a long way in the future and that fare buckets will change, on the random dates that I've looked at, for 2 people, I'm getting for the CS $1730 for 2 roomettes, $2006 for a bedroom & $1632 for a family bedroom, with me currently leaning towardsa family bedroom for the extra space (not interested in the ensuite facilities of a bedroom), for the SWC its $1298 for 2 x roomettes (which seems like cracking value), $1911 for a bedroom and $2144 for a family bedroom, so 2 x roomettes look like they acould be a winner.
How do you price up 2 x roomettes on a simple search on the amtrak wesbite ? When I look, it prices up 2 people in a single roomette, which isn't what we're looking for (I'm a big unit and my son is even bigger)

The Empire Builder from Seattle does not go through the Columbia Gorge. The Baby Builder leg from Portland does, but it leaves going eastbound late in the afternoon. So, in winter you would miss most of that experience due to the shorter days. In summer, it is spectacular.
For this, and the risk of weather related snafus, I wouldn't recommend the northern route in winter.
The northbound Coast Starlight from LA is a wonderful ride, still my favorite of Amtrak trains. If you can make it work with one of the southern cross-country routes, I would do that even if you have to spend an extra night.

I really fancy a trip on the EB, but sadly with me currently restricted to the short days of January, I don't think that it will be this year.
If i do take the SWC followed by the CS, I'll probably take the Pacific Surfliner South, away from LA (maybe to San Diego), spend a night away and then come back in time for the CS the next morning. The 6am from San Diego would do this nicely.

Once all of the airlines have released their fares for the whole of January, it'll probably be time to jump in. From another thread that I've found on here, the roomettes for the SWC may already be in the cheapest bucket, so nothing to be gained by hanging on. For the CS, all the fares seem to be in the higher bucket, so booking the SWC for now then calling Amtrak later to modify the booking may be a good approach.

As a happy related aside, Icelandair are currently have well timed and well priced flights, plus it's a country I've never been to before.

Last edited:
When you go to the "roomette" to secure it at the bottom of the box is the number of roomettes you want which defaults to "1". You can click on it and add a second - but not always!
Cheers Mark

I'll keep trying, but I'm not getting much luck so far !

Thank you very much for all of the kind thought and suggestions that have been offered to me.
I've made may booking and have a Family Bedroom on the SWC, an overnight in LAX (more likely in San Diego or elsewhere, as LAX doesn't do it for me) the a Family Bedroom on the CS in Jan 2025. Something for me and my son to really look forward to.
A quick mention to https://railforless.us/ who saved me multiple hours of time searching on Amtrak.com plus saved me several hundred $$'s by identifying the very few days when heavily discounted Family Bedrooms were available. I got a Family Bedroom for only $200 more than the price for sharing a roomette (with Bigfoot)

Last edited:
Back