Heartland Flyer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
I am considering a day trip on the Flyer in a couple of weeks. Just curious if anyone know if they are still using refurbished Sante Fe Hi-Level coaches?

I saw a picture a couple of days ago and they were. I think there is a Superliner Snack Coach or Bag Coach in the three car consist, can't remember which though.

I think they actually went back to using Cabbage 90229 on one end. Not 100% on that, but I think they did.

Out of curiosity - I Googled "cabbage 90229" - several of the first returns include web pages with pictures of this retrofitted CAB BAGGAGE unit. For the other rookies out there - check out the folllowing link http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/LocoPictu...e.aspx?id=16708.

More curiosity - it appears Amtrak has a number of cabbage units - reference the following link - as seen in Chicago http://chicago.railfan.net/cgi/photos.pl/?...ge=AMTK_Cabbage

What routes (other than Heartland Flyer and Hiawatha) are cabbage units typical used on?

Thanks

Deimos

Hiawatha's, the Heartland Flyer, Surfliner 798/799, Michigan Service, some short Illinois service, and the Downeaster. In general for the Midwest service (except the Hiawatha's) either two engines or an engine an cabbage will be used interchangeably.

B 51

Thanks as always.....you certainly seem to have an in-depth tech background...

Deimos

battalion51 said:
In general for the Midwest service (except the Hiawatha's) either two engines or an engine an cabbage will be used interchangeably.
Why do you say "except for the Hiawathas," in that message?

Does the Cascades still use cabbage cars?
The Cascades units aren't "cabbages," per se, as they don't have a baggage door. But they are NPCU ex-F40s.

I forgot about the Cascades, my bad. What I meant by "(except the Hiawatha's)" is that the Hiawatha's almost always have an engine and a cab car, where as other routes seem to interchange between two engines and an engine and a cab car.

Are the cars used on the Cascades actually cabbages?

They don't use them for baggage, do they? The Talgo sets have their own baggage cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back