Gul? Ghul? Gool? On the Empire Builder?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syntaxfactory

Train Attendant
On the Empire Builder from Seattle to Milwaukee, I had the most amazing attendant ever: Gul? Is that the spelling?

Anybody else know this awesome dude? I gotta send a letter!

I thought this was a Halloween post, ghouls on the EB! :)

Do write the letter though. It makes a difference for the employees when they have those letters in their file, I know it does.

I had Gul back in July...TRULY Awesome!!! I was in the transition sleeper. Gul was responsible for it and his normal car. He kept the mimosas coming, the cookies coming, the champagne coming. Fantastic attitude. I told him he ought to teach car attendant training for Amtrak. He was truly Great!!! Greg

Gul (yes, that is the right way to spell it), was my attendant a year and a half ago ESM-SEA. Awesome guy, awesome service, awesome attitude. He was always there when you needed him, but never there when you didn't want anybody around. Amtrak must've drugged him or something cus when I came downstairs to take a shower at 3AM, he was still sitting there wide awake! I asked him... "when do you sleep??" to which he responded something like, "I never really sleep on the train". How he can stay so alert during the day with no sleep that I could see is nothing short of a miracle. That was one hell of a guy! Best Amtrak attendant I've ever seen.

It is awesome to see that others know and were impressed by this dude. Thanks for the correct spelling!

db

I also had the good fortune to have Gul as a sleeping car attendant. One of the more amazing things was that the shower was not almost completely taken up with towels, new and used. Whenever I went into the shower there were only two clean ones and no dirty ones. He apparently resupplied new ones and removed used ones after almost every use.

But I liked most his being soft-spoken. One of my pet peeves are noisy attendants, most of whom would be rated as friendly. But loud conversations at middle of the night or 6 in the morning station stops make me wish they would bring back the "Quiet is requested for the benefit of those who have retired" signs from Pullman days.

BTW I am sure he is from Afganistan.

I am bumping this topic because I actually had the good fortune of meeting Gul yesterday.

I was in a sleeper from Detroit Lakes to Milwaukee 11/5 (Portland sectiion) and he was in the Seattle section (on the opposite end of the train.

I told him about this thread and he seemed pleased but very surprised. He asked if people around the world could see it. Anyway, I gave him the site address. Maybe he'll register. Very nice guy and hopefully I'll see him again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gul, if you read this, my wife still tells our friends that your service was the best part of our trip. Kate and David, Seattle to Minneapolis!

He was my attendant back in....oh, I don't know...whenever the last time I rode the Empire Builder was. Maybe September 2007?

Anyway, I agree. He's certainly one of the best attendants I've met.

I am lucky to be riding in one of Gul's rooms so I am sipping a mimosa as I look out the window and read the forum.

He is just a wonderful as you guys said and when he introduced himself to me I told him that I had heard of him, refering to this thread.

Time to ask him for an email so I can send him the URL of this thread. OK that is done

I too had Gul last month as my SA from CHI to SEA. He is definitely one of the best out there. He should be running the training facility part time (so that he can still be on the train :) ) And yes, he kept the mimosas coming :)

I had the privilege and pleasure of meeting up with Gul as my SCA on a westbound Builder trip. He is one of Amtrak's brightest Shining Stars, and I too hope that he will find these posts, and find them well.

A few months back, I was on the Starlight and met Pacific Parlour Car Attendant Alan for the first time. I had read several trip reports extolling the great experiences that he had crafted for his pax. He came by my room to take my lunch reservation and introduced himself. I went on to tell him that I had read great things about him on the preeminent discussion board (AU) for Amtrak on the Internet. He was so moved by hearing that people had written about him in this way, that he got a bit choked up as we were talking. I told him to do some searches on Amtrak Unlimited and he said he would do so. Like Gul, Alan cares very deeply about his passengers and it truly shows. I am so happy that these two are out there making such a positive impact on Amtrak's customers.

Alan and Gul ... my fingers are crossed that I will see them next month!!

I was lucky enough to travel in the transdorm next to Gul's sleeper last October between Minot and Chicago. I wasn't even on his manifest, since I'd changed tickets after the Empire Builder had left Seattle. Nevertheless he quickly made up my room and provide more (and less obtrusive) service than any SCA I've ever encountered. I recognized his name and told him about his Internet fame, which he seemed quite surprised about. Great guy, and a real plus for Amtrak.

Are those guys kept on the same car, or are they switched around here and there? I would love to have him on my car!

I have had the pleasure of having had Gul on the Empire Builder twice now. Outstanding service and a wonderful attitude. He is actually an immigrant from Pakistan. The restrooms are always clean and fresh and he seems to always anticipate your needs. Other SCA's are very jealous of Gul. Keep up the good work.

I also had the good fortune to have Gul as a sleeping car attendant. One of the more amazing things was that the shower was not almost completely taken up with towels, new and used. Whenever I went into the shower there were only two clean ones and no dirty ones. He apparently resupplied new ones and removed used ones after almost every use.

But I liked most his being soft-spoken. One of my pet peeves are noisy attendants, most of whom would be rated as friendly. But loud conversations at middle of the night or 6 in the morning station stops make me wish they would bring back the "Quiet is requested for the benefit of those who have retired" signs from Pullman days.

BTW I am sure he is from Afganistan.
Actually he is from Pakistan..

We had Gul on the EB Aug 1 from Chicago. He was exceptional and kept the ice coming when my wife sprained her ankle at one of the smoke stops.

Gul is an awesome train attendant! He gets you everything you want. He even put down my bed without being asked! He brought me a blanket and it was toasty warm like it just came out of the oven. I would recommend Gul to anyone in the whole entire world!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back