Good hotels in DC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Washington, DC

Hello, looking for hotels that are in good area, relatively close to downtown and/or Union Station, and that are not expensive.

I noticed that hotels in the DC downtown area are quite expensive. Any suggestions??

I will be arriving on the Capitol Limited.

I'd highly recommend Holiday Inn on the Hill. It's one of the nicest Holiday Inn's I've ever stayed at (on a line with a new Courtyard). It's about four blocks from Union Station, and crazy close to the Capitol. The rates are pretty reasonable from what I remember as well. One hotel on that list to stay FAR FAR away from, Hotel Harrington. I've stayed at some crappy hotels, but that one takes the prize for crappiest. Don't touch it with a ten foot pole.

When I used to go to DC on business I'd stay at the River Inn -- in the GWU area and within walking distance of the Foggy Bottom station. It used to be a little cheaper than it is now, but its a nice place in a good neighborhood.

I like the Embassy Suites over near the Washington Convention Center.

The subway is right at Union Station. From there, you can easily get around, to just about any hotel you want.

As to costs, I find that Washington empties out on the weekend, and hotels tend to give some really good deals attempting to attract customers on the weekend.

Depending on what you call expensive, may I recommend two of the Kimpton Hotels where I ahve stayed near Dupont Circle, a short walk from the Red Metro: the Palomar and the Rouge. Quirky, sophisticated decor and gracious service.

Recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill- not far from Amtrak station - clean, good area, within walking distance of the Capitol. Good in-house bar- Article One. Can have mini-meal with drinks. The taxi from station was $10.

Depending on what you call expensive, may I recommend two of the Kimpton Hotels where I ahve stayed near Dupont Circle, a short walk from the Red Metro: the Palomar and the Rouge. Quirky, sophisticated decor and gracious service.
Kimpton Hotels still have their "Ride the Rails" discount, "save 15% on our best available rates with proof of train ticket at check-in."

We usually stay at the Westin Embassy Row hotel at Dupont Circle. It is a smaller hotel but very

comfortable and friendly. It is two blocks from the Metro station. There are several shops and

restaurants nearby.

On my last trip to Washington, we stayed at a Hampton Inn, also near the Metro. It was convenient

to Union station via the Metro.

Make sure you don't stay at the hotels (Howard Johnson's, Motel 6, Quality Inn) on New York Avenue in Northeast. They are cheap and known chains, but are not in a good section of town and have a reputation for 'criminal activity', if you know what I mean. I'd also avoid the Harrington. It is in a great spot, BUT... Some of the other suggestions people have made above are pretty good. Shop around. I like looking at Trip Advisor to get a general sense of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Last spring we stayed at the Hotel Harrington. Good value for the location easy walk to the mall.

Others on the board have stayed there. Popular place with school groups.

http://www.hotel-harrington.com/index.htm
Hotel Harrington is in a 1950's time warp. It's actually quite interesting as you will feel like you've gone back several decades.

It's been several years since I stayed there, but the location is excellent. It's across from the FBI building and a block from Ford Theater.

Washington, DC

Hello, looking for hotels that are in good area, relatively close to downtown and/or Union Station, and that are not expensive.

I noticed that hotels in the DC downtown area are quite expensive. Any suggestions??

I will be arriving on the Capitol Limited.
We stayed at the Affiinia Liaison Capitol Hill in October. Good hotel, a little pricy but the weekend rate was OK. It is about one and a half blocks west of the WUS.

I've stayed at the Harrington several times. As one posted mentioned, it is a throwback. It also has a decent bar/restaurant on the ground floor. I had a several hour layover earlier this fall in DC and took the Red Line from WUS over to the Harrington just to enjoy a few adult beverages.

While I'm here, does anyone know if the Irish Times restaurant near WUS changed hands lately? I was in there also during my layover and it seemed different.

:lol:

I've stayed at the Harrington several times. As one posted mentioned, it is a throwback.

Yep, its a throwback. If it was a fish, I'd throw it back. :lol:

To be fair, I'm local and never been in the rooms. If price is an overriding concern, and your not planning on spending much time in the room, it might be okay, but I think one could do better for not many more $$.

If you know the neighborhood you want and just want to make sure you get a decent 3/4 star chain for a good price then I would suggest using Hotwire or Priceline after reviewing the process at http://www.betterbidding.com/

I like Embassy Suites for their free hot breakfast in the morning, and free open bar in the afternoon.
Is it an actual open bar or just one or two types of mix-heavy drinks that come gratis?

Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, etc places that advertise an afternoon reception generally have a keg-erator that's self serve available. I don't know that I've ever seen something in that category of hotel that gave comp liquor, but then again I'm more of a traditional Full Service hotel patron these days.
cool.gif

If you know the neighborhood you want and just want to make sure you get a decent 3/4 star chain for a good price then I would suggest using Hotwire or Priceline after reviewing the process at http://www.betterbidding.com/

I like Embassy Suites for their free hot breakfast in the morning, and free open bar in the afternoon.
Is it an actual open bar or just one or two types of mix-heavy drinks that come gratis?
It varries by hotel, and sometimes even by state. For example, in Mass no Embassy Suites offer free drinks period. The State legislators wanted to make sure that they collect the maximum in taxes, so it's against the law to serve free drinks.

At an E-Suites in NJ they usually have a red wine, white wine, and one hard liquor selection. And you get a coupon good for that 1 free drink. An E-Suites in Florida, while I had white wine which is what I normally drink, I could have asked for anything that I wanted, except top shelf liquor and IIRC, it lasted for 2 hours. So it was basically all you could drink and still be able to walk away from.

The State legislators wanted to make sure that they collect the maximum in taxes, so it's against the law to serve free drinks.
I live in a state that has counties that are wet, dry, and mixed so I can't really complain about whatever silly thing Mass may be doing. I think that sort of thing looks suspicious to us because we grew up in a different era. I had my first beer in middle school and I was ordering at bars long before my twenty-first birthday. Sometimes they'd card but often if you knew someone who worked there or even just acted like you knew what you were doing they'd serve you without question. But now things are different. They've been cracking down on drinking in recent years and if the server breaks the law it is virtually guaranteed to result in large fines, criminal records, and loss of liquor licenses. That's the sort of thing you don't want to mess with.

The State legislators wanted to make sure that they collect the maximum in taxes, so it's against the law to serve free drinks.
I live in a state that has counties that are wet, dry, and mixed so I can't really complain about whatever silly thing Mass may be doing. I think that sort of thing looks suspicious to us because we grew up in a different era. I had my first beer in middle school and I was ordering at bars long before my twenty-first birthday. Sometimes they'd card but often if you knew someone who worked there or even just acted like you knew what you were doing they'd serve you without question. But now things are different. They've been cracking down on drinking in recent years and if the server breaks the law it is virtually guaranteed to result in large fines, criminal records, and loss of liquor licenses. That's the sort of thing you don't want to mess with.
I wasn't really complaining, just pointing out why the normal procedure for E-Suites doesn't happen in Mass.

And while I don't know what era you grew up in, since you didn't list your birthday in your profile (not a criticism); but when I grew up the drinking age wasn't 21, it was 18.

I would say it varies.

The Embassy Suites near the Washington Convention Center has a variety of mixed drinks, on-tap beer, and non-alcoholic Roy Rogers/Shirley Temples that my kid really likes. I don't remember any limits, other than the natural one by having to wait in line again. There are also munches like cheese and crackers, tortilla chips and salsa, etc.

Some Embassy Suites I have stayed in, hand out a "coupon" at check-in, basically restricting you to just one beer/drink for free.

... ; but when I grew up the drinking age wasn't 21, it was 18.
Me too.

And I use to go to a local bar with my future bother-in-law when I was only 16. He was 18, but looked younger than me. They would "proof" him, and when he passed, they didn't bother with me.

... ; but when I grew up the drinking age wasn't 21, it was 18.
Me too.

And I use to go to a local bar with my future bother-in-law when I was only 16. He was 18, but looked younger than me. They would "proof" him, and when he passed, they didn't bother with me.
I grew up where the age was 21 from Prohibition on unfortunately. Now, I've seen signs that say unless you look 40 or more they will card you.

I grew up where the age was 21 from Prohibition on unfortunately. Now, I've seen signs that say unless you look 40 or more they will card you.
You think that's bad, in Georgia they'll card anyone and everyone, regardless of age. I've seen plenty of balding/gray heads carded when I go out to the bars. You want booze here, you'd better have ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back