Food Prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerP42

Conductor
So I never made a thread about this - but when I went on the Wolverine, I decided to go to the cafe/biz car. I got a hot dog (Took off the bun), Chips, and a can of mountain dew. Came up to around 13 dollars.

About 5 Dollars for the hot dog!

The prices are way high, I understand you're on a train with limited supply, but honestly I did not see anyone go into the cafe car other than me during my hour and half ride (both ways)

On my trip back, I got chips and a mountain dew and it came to around 6 Dollars.

Fair enough but when was the last time you saw a stadium or airport concession go an hour and a half without anyone purchasing anything?

Fair enough but when was the last time you saw a stadium or airport concession go an hour and a half without anyone purchasing anything?
His round-trip was an hour and a half.

Last edited by a moderator:
45 minutes without business in the cafe seems pretty long, but it depends on the time of day, date, and where you board too. I've been on the Wolverine when the cafe line stretches back through the next coach.

Oh brother, your going to be in for a rude awakening if you go to any of the Disney parks. ;) And their policy is ABSOLUTELY NO OUTSIDE FOOD ALLOWED in the park, (At least that was their official policy back when my parents used to take my brother and I as kids.) Anyways, the price on the Surfliner is not any different really but sellout and early closure of the car is a common thing. Many times, there is usually a long line even snaking up the stairs. As others have said, time of day also matters. Beer, wine and liquor sell out seems to be a common problem on the Surfliner. Well a problem for me, since its all gone by the time I get down there to get one.

Trust me, there are some trains where I will have a line for hours, and simply can't handle any more business.

And I'm not calling you a liar, but I doubt the prices you quote ate accurate. On the NEC... Chips are $2.25, soda is $2.25, and the hot dog is $4.75, for a total of $9.25. And our prices are slightly higher than some other trains. Not sure about compared to the Wolverine, but think about it... You said a hot dog was almost $5, but chips and a soda came to almost $6? Even that would come to $11, not the almost $13. It just doesn't add up!

As always, "free to bring your own food on board". And even consume it in the cafe car. Try that at Mickey D's, or other.

Trust me, there are some trains where I will have a line for hours, and simply can't handle any more business.

And I'm not calling you a liar, but I doubt the prices you quote ate accurate. On the NEC... Chips are $2.25, soda is $2.25, and the hot dog is $4.75, for a total of $9.25. And our prices are slightly higher than some other trains. Not sure about compared to the Wolverine, but think about it... You said a hot dog was almost $5, but chips and a soda came to almost $6? Even that would come to $11, not the almost $13. It just doesn't add up!
The national prices for the cafe car menu are available on the Amtrak website: Cafe Menu dated May 2015. The hot dogs are now at $5, the soda still $2.25, the chips $2.25. So the total would have been $9.50 on a NE Regional. The Wolverine as a state supported service might have higher prices, but if the hot dog was $5, the soda and chips would presumably be the same price as the national menu as well.

TylerP42, did you buy something else? Maybe got double charged for the soda or chips?

Anyway, I would say that Amtrak cafe prices are medium high. More than the typical lower end convenience store or fast food chain, but less than the typical movie theater, sports stadium, many resorts, and some airport prices (inside the security zones).

Oh brother, your going to be in for a rude awakening if you go to any of the Disney parks. And their policy is ABSOLUTELY NO OUTSIDE FOOD ALLOWED in the park, (At least that was their official policy back when my parents used to take my brother and I as kids.)
Disney prices and policies have become rather absurd over the years and yet the parks are so packed and the products are so popular that it has become the perfect equity for a Machiavellian portfolio. The modern world is so brainwashed about Disney's inflated significance that our government consults them when revising international treaties and allows them to create quasi-governmental bureaucracies from which to manage their properties and theme parks. Few companies can compete with Disney's legendary hypocrisy but try explaining any of that to the nearest indoctrinated fanatic. When it comes to Disney products and services it's often impossible for otherwise intelligent people to see past their nostalgia. Year after year even the poorest of families continue to spend massive amounts on Disney nonsense. Presumably because they've been carefully groomed from the days of their earliest memories to worship the Kingdom of the Magic Mouse.

Disneyworld and Jerryworld: the New Opiates of the Masses!

I don't buy from the Cafe on any train due to the quality of the offerings and the prices, so perhaps don't have the right to complain, but I will anyway!

Amtrak, you can do so much better, and still sell lots of stuff!

Send one of your bean counters on the Surfliners or the Downeaster and have them take notes!

I'll admit: I tipped about 2 dollars because the person had an awesome conversation about trainspotting/the train. However the prices were pretty expensive. I was considering a deck of Amtrak cards for a souvenir, however I did not want to pay 5 dollars for them.

Prices seem in line with what one would expect, honestly. Expensive vis a vis something at a supermarket? Sure, but not unreasonable considering that one is on the train.

On the Starlight, the cafe is certainly popular--as one nears LAX, they're often sold out of most items (if not all).

It's an important revenue generator.

Oh brother, your going to be in for a rude awakening if you go to any of the Disney parks. ;) And their policy is ABSOLUTELY NO OUTSIDE FOOD ALLOWED in the park, (At least that was their official policy back when my parents used to take my brother and I as kids.) Anyways, the price on the Surfliner is not any different really but sellout and early closure of the car is a common thing. Many times, there is usually a long line even snaking up the stairs. As others have said, time of day also matters. Beer, wine and liquor sell out seems to be a common problem on the Surfliner. Well a problem for me, since its all gone by the time I get down there to get one.
That is absolutely false. Unless this was a policy before the first time I visited in 1980 (U.S. Navy boot camp graduate) I carried a sack lunch I placed in a locker and ate sitting under some awnings by the (now gone) swan boats. In 1991 we started taking our son there almost annually. When we didn't stay on site we always packed a lunch and ate it in an out of the way place. We still purchased our drinks there. As far as the comparison goes, I think that the pricing at the Disney and Universal Studios counter service restaurants is very similar to Amtrak prices. I would, however, say that the quality at several Disney (and at least one Universal Studios restaurant - Monsters Cafe) counter service options are better. Of course you don't have the ambiance of the moving scenery outside your window either - but you can be entertained by Sonny Eclipse at Cosmic rays in Tomorrowland. Cheesy, yes. But 23 years ago my then 3 year old would sit mesmerized during the show.

Sadly though, I will admit that the little perks you you to expect from a stay at WDW are slowly being whittled away by senior management in a cost cutting quest. Pretty much as you've seen happen on Amtrak with the sleeper car amenities.

That is absolutely false. Unless this was a policy before the first time I visited in 1980 (U.S. Navy boot camp graduate) I carried a sack lunch I placed in a locker and ate sitting under some awnings by the (now gone) swan boats. In 1991 we started taking our son there almost annually. When we didn't stay on site we always packed a lunch and ate it in an out of the way place. We still purchased our drinks there. As far as the comparison goes, I think that the pricing at the Disney and Universal Studios counter service restaurants is very similar to Amtrak prices. I would, however, say that the quality at several Disney (and at least one Universal Studios restaurant - Monsters Cafe) counter service options are better. Of course you don't have the ambiance of the moving scenery outside your window either - but you can be entertained by Sonny Eclipse at Cosmic rays in Tomorrowland. Cheesy, yes. But 23 years ago my then 3 year old would sit mesmerized during the show.

Sadly though, I will admit that the little perks you you to expect from a stay at WDW are slowly being whittled away by senior management in a cost cutting quest. Pretty much as you've seen happen on Amtrak with the sleeper car amenities.
It's still the official policy. Now, lack of enforcement, that is a totally different matter.

Do you remember the chicken dinner boxes that were sold in Tomorrowland? I'd say those fried chicken boxes were comparable to the Empire Builder chicken dinner boxes. Only difference being Disneylands was hot.

Oh brother, your going to be in for a rude awakening if you go to any of the Disney parks. And their policy is ABSOLUTELY NO OUTSIDE FOOD ALLOWED in the park, (At least that was their official policy back when my parents used to take my brother and I as kids.)
Disney prices and policies have become rather absurd over the years and yet the parks are so packed and the products are so popular that it has become the perfect equity for a Machiavellian portfolio. The modern world is so brainwashed about Disney's inflated significance that our government consults them when revising international treaties and allows them to create quasi-governmental bureaucracies from which to manage their properties and theme parks. Few companies can compete with Disney's legendary hypocrisy but try explaining any of that to the nearest indoctrinated fanatic. When it comes to Disney products and services it's often impossible for otherwise intelligent people to see past their nostalgia. Year after year even the poorest of families continue to spend massive amounts on Disney nonsense. Presumably because they've been carefully groomed from the days of their earliest memories to worship the Kingdom of the Magic Mouse.
I am all for self-governance. You almost say it likes that's a bad thing. have you ever read anything Ayn Rand published?

Or, they've grown to love the ability to plan a whole weeks vacation at one site that is truly all-inclusive. From airfare to meals to lodging to outside entertainment, and even transportation to and from the airport. Sure, I have noticed the slowly declining perks you'd get as an onsite guest, but I wait until they offer a killer deal on lodging or they send me a PIN code for free dining when I stay onsite. Since I am the vacation planner for my wife and I, I appreciate the one-stop shopping vacation resort plan thingamajiggy.

I don't know if I'm an indoctrinated fan, but I do like the cleanliness of their parks, the efficiency of their transportation systems, and the fact that I can completely divorce myself from the outside world at one of their resorts. I am aware of the cost increases. That is why since our son is grown I only book a Disney visit every 3 to 4 years. Like Timothy Leary, I can drop in and tune out without having to turn-on (drug usage I'm guessing). Everything is pre-planned and I just have to show up at the airport on time with my clothes. They even grab my checked baggage and drop it in the room for us, as well as pick it up the evening before our flight. Brain-dead easy for the person who has the responsibility of planning every vacation or trip we take. Sometimes I just like to push the easy button. Easy isn't always cheap though.

Disneyworld and Jerryworld: the New Opiates of the Masses!

I don't buy from the Cafe on any train due to the quality of the offerings and the prices, so perhaps don't have the right to complain, but I will anyway!

Amtrak, you can do so much better, and still sell lots of stuff!

Send one of your bean counters on the Surfliners or the Downeaster and have them take notes!
Can't add anything to the Downeaster, but I forgot to mention the San Joaquin experience last year. On the return trip, wait in the cafe car was easily "No exaggeration" 1 Hour+. Part of the problem was the inefficient layout of the San Joaquin's cafe, but the cafe car was quite popular both ways. Not sure if we on the West Coast are just bigger lushes, but 5 - 8 dollars for beer and 5.75 for a microwaved burger does not seem to phase most (Going by it being wiped out). Then again, people around my age group grew up with the microwave snacks after school so its probably also ingrained into the culture out here.

It's still the official policy. Now, lack of enforcement, that is a totally different matter.
Still wrong. Here, let me Google that for you. Here is what I found:

"Q.Can I bring my own food into theme parks and Disney Resort hotels?

A. Guests are allowed to bring food items—such as snacks or foods that do not require heating—into Disney theme parks. Inform a Security Cast Member of any food items when you enter the park.
If you are concerned that we may not offer foods that you are able to eat, learn how to make Special Dietary Requests.

For your safety and convenience, we ask that you read the Walt Disney World Resort park rules before you arrive.

source - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/outside-food-and-drink/ "

Here's another link, enjoy... http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/01/16/13-questions-and-answers-about-bringing-your-own-food-to-disney-theme-parks/

And another: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/bring-food-disney-world-11510.html

There's more, but I think you get the idea.

Still wrong. Here, let me Google that for you. Here is what I found:

"Q.Can I bring my own food into theme parks and Disney Resort hotels?

A. Guests are allowed to bring food items—such as snacks or foods that do not require heating—into Disney theme parks. Inform a Security Cast Member of any food items when you enter the park.
If you are concerned that we may not offer foods that you are able to eat, learn how to make Special Dietary Requests.

For your safety and convenience, we ask that you read the Walt Disney World Resort park rules before you arrive.

source - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/outside-food-and-drink/ "

Here's another link, enjoy... http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/01/16/13-questions-and-answers-about-bringing-your-own-food-to-disney-theme-parks/

And another: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/bring-food-disney-world-11510.html

There's more, but I think you get the idea.
From Disney's Official Site

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/dining/outside-food-in-park/

I remember going through the bag check at Universal in FL back in ?2005? and the guy jokingly implied that he was going to confiscate my cookies. And I jokingly asked him if he was going to share them with the others guys checking the bags. :D

I remember going through the bag check at Universal in FL back in ?2005? and the guy jokingly implied that he was going to confiscate my cookies. And I jokingly asked him if he was going to share them with the others guys checking the bags. :D
I've seen this happen before at Disneyland. They seem to randomly search "BIG Bags" when entering the park. Not sure if they confiscated anything.

OK, I'll concede on DLR. But, in all fairness, you are no more than a five minute walk from the much more affordable restaurants lining harbor drive. That is nothing at all like being five miles inside a resort as large as WDW. When we do DLR, we don't stay on site or eat many of our meals there. We get a great deal at the Best Western Park Place Inn* just across the street and eat at the two places just to the north of it (can't remember the restaurant names) or we may splurge and dine at one of the Downtown Disney eateries.

*ETA - since they are a "Good Neighbor" lodging provider, we can book them through Disney Travel too.

We are really diverging from the topic of the thread guys. I understand you have problems/arguments about Disney, but that is not for this thread. This thread is to talk about food prices on the trains. Sorry if I am sounding bossy or something but yeah...

anyways,

In all honesty they could charge even more and I would still buy some food there because I honestly like the fact that I'm eating on the train and enjoying the lounge. I can't stay in the coach seats (even though I should, I'm restless all the time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back