Following Anniversary Engine #156

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak 156 is leading the westbound California Zephyr this evening with three private cars on the end. I think 156 is going to be the power for this excursion the varnishes are going to be on.
Here's video of Amtrak #5(13) at Agency, Iowa running half an hour late.

Amtrak 156 pulled the Cardinal #50 on May 5, 2013. I was one of the passengers. :) The 156 is my current FB avatar!

156 brought the AAPRCO special to Kansas City today (5/20). One lucky duck got a cab tour of the engine as it sat at Kansas City Union Station. So for anyone that's wanted to see what the cab of 156 looks like, her you go:

Last edited by a moderator:
AMTK 156 is leading Amtrak #5(17) west tonight. This is the third day in a row an anniversary unit has led the California Zephyr. I caught it passing a coal train in Agency, Iowa

AMTK 156 returned to Chicago today leading Amtrak #6(20). I caught it at Agency, Iowa again.

"Rudolph" is going west again on Amtrak #5(23). The Zephyr came through Agency, Iowa on the left track to pass a westbound BNSF freight train that was on the right track (it happens).

AMTK 156 is leading Amtrak #6(26) into Chicago today. Sounds like the engineer is friendly.

Amtrak 156 returned to Chicago today on Amtrak #6(23) after spending the last few weeks in commuter service in California, and with a souvenir too. Behind the engines was AMTK (or is it CDTX?) 90225 Sacramento which hit a truck carrying potato chips last month.

This video was taken by a friend in Chariton, Iowa:

156 is retuning east on Amtrak #6(29). Passed through Agency, Iowa running about 20 minutes late.

AMTK 156 is heading back west on #5(02), but this time it's the second engine. I guess this means the reopened Denver Union Station will have an anniversary unit for its first National Train Day, if only for a little while.

AMTK 156 will be retuning to Chicago today on Amtrak #6(19). This California Zephyr had a slow order as it came through Agency, Iowa. But it was on the left track to leap-frog ahead of three freight trains, so that's a plus.

156 is going back west leading #5(22). This train will be taking the detour route in Colorado and Wyoming tomorrow, so a rare photographic opportunity for anyone out there. I caught this Zephyr at Agency again, but for a change of pace I'll leave a video another fan made of #6 leaving Ottumwa, Iowa.

I caught Amtrak 156 leading Amtrak #6(31) east of Agency, Iowa today. The California Zephyr was running on the left track, since the other one hadn't been cleared yet of last night's derailment in Ottumwa.

AMTK 156 is leading Amtrak #5(24) west. There is also a couple private cars on the end of this California Zephyr. It was over forty-five minutes late when it came through Agency, Iowa.

156 is leading Amtrak #6(27) into Chicago today. It passed Agency, Iowa four hours and sixteen minutes late. I also noticed the consist order had been switched around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak #6(03) had AMTK 156 as its second unit when it stopped in Ottumwa, Iowa today. This eastbound California Zephyr departed just over forty-five minutes late.

AMTK 156 is still the second unit as it goes back west on Amtrak #5(06). This California Zephyr was nearly five hours late when it passed Agency, Iowa.

1239668795_ckWLM-L.jpg
Amtrak 40th Anniversary engine # 156, in Phase I paint, moves the PRS Diamond Jubilee Special train forward during a wye of the whole consist at Bakersfield before returning to Los Angeles on 4-3-11. Note crewman at left removing derail from track for backing portion of the turn.​
That seems like a pretty odd consist, with a strange mix of single and two level cars.

1239668795_ckWLM-L.jpg

Amtrak 40th Anniversary engine # 156, in Phase I paint, moves the PRS Diamond Jubilee Special train forward during a wye of the whole consist at Bakersfield before returning to Los Angeles on 4-3-11. Note crewman at left removing derail from track for backing portion of the turn.
That seems like a pretty odd consist, with a strange mix of single and two level cars.
I count three dome cars in the consist, could it be that those are the bilevels you spotted? Two full length and one short dome.

I count three dome cars in the consist, could it be that those are the bilevels you spotted? Two full length and one short dome.
I thought these dome cars attached to Superliners, no? Their coupler end doors are the same height as single level cars (Viewliners, etc)?
They were built in the 50's and have low level thru access to the rest of the train. They were built in the era when single level was the only option, the hilevels that the superliner design is based on were just being drawn up.

Back