Following Anniversary Engine #156

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
156 will be on today's 42 out of Pittsburgh

20111207_041241.jpg

Looks like #156 is on the Empire Builder #8 going through MT today and ND/MN tonight and tomorrow morning (March 23-24 2012)

I saw 156 today on the westbound California Zephyr (Amtrak #6/13) in Iowa today. It should be in Denver tomorrow and California on Tuesday. There is a private Mid-America car on the back of the train. I hope they turn 156 around and send it back so I can meet it with charged camera batteries.

It has been reported that 156 was turned around an is leading #6/16 out of California today. This Zephyr is going on a detour between Salt Lake City and Denver through Wyoming. I believe Amtrak had train service over this line back when they first used Phase I paint.

156 was turned right around in Chicago and is leading Amtrak #5/19. This Zephyr will detour through Wyoming tomorrow. Should make for some rare photo opportunities.

Here it is a few minutes from its station stop in Ottumwa, Iowa running 45 to 50 minutes late at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3O9k4cyac

I just saw 156 leading the westbound Zephyr again (#5/30). I didn't get it on camera since I didn't know it was coming.

Here is Amtrak 156 on the point of train #6(23) east of Ottumwa, Iowa today (the 25th).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQxCDnygmko

As a side note, the California Zephyr was closely followed by a container and automobile rack train, very rare for this mostly coal train line. It went from the left track to the right track in Ottumwa. I didn't hear if the Zephyr did the same.

Amtrak 156 is leading the westbound California Zephyr this evening with three private cars on the end. I think 156 is going to be the power for this excursion the varnishes are going to be on.

Here's video of Amtrak #5(13) at Agency, Iowa running half an hour late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back