"Flyaway Bus" Service from LAX to Union Station-Anyone Used

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootman4U

Train Attendant
I will be flying into LAX and arriving around 2:45 PM (assuming no airline delays) and taking the SW Chief to Chicago later that evening.

I can easily afford a taxi to Union Station if necessary but since I will hopefully have some wiggle room and only carry-on bags I am considering taking this advertised bus service to the station.

I am wondering if anyone here has used it and would care to comment.

I have also been reading the various posts touching on the "safety" in and around US in Los Angeles. I am assuming I do not need to take any particular special precautions while waiting there for the train such as bringing along guns and ammo or my two vicious attack dogs :D

I will be flying into LAX and arriving around 2:45 PM (assuming no airline delays) and taking the SW Chief to Chicago later that evening.
I can easily afford a taxi to Union Station if necessary but since I will hopefully have some wiggle room and only carry-on bags I am considering taking this advertised bus service to the station.

I have also been reading the various posts touching on the "safety" in and around US in Los Angeles. I am assuming I do not need to take any particular special precautions while waiting there for the train such as bringing along guns and ammo or my two vicious attack dogs :D
Sorry to be "hijacking" this topic but I have a serious not snarky question for our non-US participants: Is it a general perception that most American cities are dangerous places? I say this because when I travel outside the US I don't immediately question the safety of where I'm traveling( maybe I should). Again I'm not being facetious, simply curious.

Ed

Trust me....there are a LOT of AMERICANS who ask (on various internet travel forums) if various EUROPEAN cities and even whole countries are "safe" to travel in!! And this "concern" is not limited to those who don't seem to have traveled much.

In terms of people who ask these questions about places in the US...I think there are some folks who turn on the TV and when they see some cop or crime show that supposedly "happens" in a city they probably believe that's the way things really are. They may be the same people who think that a "reality" show supposedly based on some deserted island is totally for real...deserted except for the cameras, the crew, the Denny's next door, etc.

But I suspect a show called "CSI-Topeka, Kansas" won't make much money.

The more you actually travel, hopefully the more one learns.

I've used the Flyaway bus service a couple of times, both from Union Station to LAX, and would certainly do it again. I believe the price was $7.00 when I used it last, which was in August of last year, and I think it's a great value for your dollar. And very convenient. I'd say go for it and save your cab fare for something more enjoyable!!

The bus is an excellent choice,(it was $7, a bargain!), the subway takes longer and you have to change, since time is no factor Id say take the bus!(traffic is terrible, a cab is not the way to go!)No need to worry about "safety", there are parts of LA that, like any large city, the cops dont even want to go to, but Union Station is not one of them!Since youll get dinner on the train once it leaves @6:45PM youll want to have a late lunch, Phillipes is the place!

You should be able to walk around the first sight of LA (it's a psuedo Mexican Village),across the street in front of the station, you can leave your carry on bags with the luggage check in the Station ($3 is the going charge). Also two blocks away is the famous Phillipes where there are great breakfasts and where the French Dip Sandwich was invented (supposedly?),they are delicious! In the station itself there are homeless and strange people hanging around but it's a very busy place with the commuters on trains,subways etc. Not much in the station but a couple of fast food joints and one expensive resturant/bar (Traxx) but the station is beautiful and worth wondering around for a look. Since you havent been there you may want to have a redcap take you to the train through the tunnels but you can walk there yourself when its time to board!The SWC is a great train, enjoy the trip! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all these additional comments and pieces of very useful info but i would like to clarify a couple of things.

Actually, I have been to both LOs Angeles and the Union Station several times..the first was back in 1953 but that is another conversation.

I mentioned the 'safety' thing more as a sarcastic comment than anything...I am not the least bit worried about my safety in LA...am more amused at those who are and why they are but again, another conversation.

Thanks in particular for the information about things close by and the luggage check situation...I am hoping that my flight arrival will be on time and that I'll be able to get to the station with enough wiggle room left to take a look around, take some pictures, etc.

You guys are the best!!!

I used the Flyaway last month from Union Station to the airport, and it was fine, and the bus was rest room equipped. ( Since that was the case, therefore, I did not need it! :cool: ) There were a few traffic delays, but the run was made in about 45 minutes. Tomorrow I will be taking it from the airport downtwon. Does anyone know the answer to this? At Union Station there is a ticket office for the bus on the platorm, but is this the case at the aiport, or does one pay the driver?

At the LAUS, the ticket booth for FlyAway bus is located on the bus island, behind the station (away from the waiting room which is in front side of building). It's the only booth, so you'll have to pay at the booth when you get off the bus from LAX airport. Part of security measure is they won't let you claim the baggage until you show prove that you paid the ticket.

I rather to take FlyAway bus than taxi because you'll see more out of the window and it's almost a luxury! I've tried using light rails and it take a long time- get on Green Line bus from airport, transfer from bus to Green Line station, transfer from Green to Blue, transfer from Blue to Red, and get off at the station! I would take again if I don't have large luggage, esp. with rush hour and for adventure!

I used the Flyaway last month from Union Station to the airport, and it was fine, and the bus was rest room equipped. ( Since that was the case, therefore, I did not need it! :cool: ) There were a few traffic delays, but the run was made in about 45 minutes. Tomorrow I will be taking it from the airport downtwon. Does anyone know the answer to this? At Union Station there is a ticket office for the bus on the platorm, but is this the case at the aiport, or does one pay the driver?
At the airport, you get on the bus the loading island and you pay at the window at Union Station after you get off. YOu can't get your luggage back until you pay.

By all means take it. It is the FASTEST way to LA Union Station, even beats cabs because cabs usually won't take the Century Freeway/Harbor Freeway route as it is shorter than other ways downtown. I think you will end up with at least two-plus hours of free time. And Mr. Hudson's suggestions along those lines are excellent!

Safety is mostly a matter of common sense. Use your common sense and you'll be fine. People who obsess about safety in LA or anywhere else should stay home, lock the doors and watch their cable TV until falling asleep! lol

I used the Flyaway last month from Union Station to the airport, and it was fine, and the bus was rest room equipped. ( Since that was the case, therefore, I did not need it! :cool: ) There were a few traffic delays, but the run was made in about 45 minutes. Tomorrow I will be taking it from the airport downtown. Does anyone know the answer to this? At Union Station there is a ticket office for the bus on the platform, but is this the case at the airport, or does one pay the driver?

You board the bus at the airport and pay when you reach Union Station. They keep your bags when you get off and you go buy a ticket and exchange it for the bags. At least that's they way we had it handled a couple of years ago.

My understanding from looking at the website is that this bus stops at all the terminals to pick up passengers; I assumed you pay the driver but am glad you asked this question.

If you DO pay the driver I wonder if exact change is required/do they take a credit card (I believe the O/W fare is now $7.50 and correct me if I am wrong.

Olvera Street across from the station may seem like a pseudo Mexican village but it is actually the birth place of Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles, or as we say Los Angeles. There is an old ranch house you can go through said to be the first dwelling in LA. The food is great and reasonable at the stands and resturants on Olvera Street and many times there are outdoor bands on the plaza. Last January while many were waiting in line for overpriced bagels at the station I dashed across the street for tacos from a little stand, the only one open at the hour of 8AM. I was waitng for the CS and my champagne. When I arrived at 9PM on the returning CS I opted for safety and walked to the Metro Plaza hotel which was adequate and I was in the company of a family of 9 Amish, but if I were to do it again I would take a taxi to Best Western Dragon's Gate. I have walked the 6 blocks to Dragon's Gate before but not after dark. I was departing on the SWC the next evening.

The web site says the trip will take 30 to 50 minutes. My last trip, on a nice Monday afternoon, took 1 hour and 33 minutes from the time I stepped aboard the bus because of traffic. Still, a much better alternative than taxi or subway.

I mentioned the 'safety' thing more as a sarcastic comment than anything...I am not the least bit worried about my safety in LA...am more amused at those who are and why they are but again, another conversation.
Then again one night when three of us were traveling from LAUS to Mariposa on the Green Line to get back to our hotel, while we were waiting for our Green Line train having just gotten off a Blue Line train at the Rosa Parks (Imperial/Wilmington) station. We did hear gunshots, and people looked apprehensively at each other. It was late in the evening. So feeling completely safe everywhere in LA area at all times may not be very wise either :)

The bus is an excellent choice,(it was $7, a bargain!), the subway takes longer and you have to change, since time is no factor Id say take the bus!(traffic is terrible, a cab is not the way to go!)No need to worry about "safety", there are parts of LA that, like any large city, the cops dont even want to go to, but Union Station is not one of them!Since youll get dinner on the train once it leaves @6:45PM youll want to have a late lunch, Phillipes is the place!

You should be able to walk around the first sight of LA (it's a psuedo Mexican Village),across the street in front of the station, you can leave your carry on bags with the luggage check in the Station ($3 is the going charge). Also two blocks away is the famous Phillipes where there are great breakfasts and where the French Dip Sandwich was invented (supposedly?),they are delicious! In the station itself there are homeless and strange people hanging around but it's a very busy place with the commuters on trains,subways etc. Not much in the station but a couple of fast food joints and one expensive resturant/bar (Traxx) but the station is beautiful and worth wondering around for a look. Since you havent been there you may want to have a redcap take you to the train through the tunnels but you can walk there yourself when its time to board!The SWC is a great train, enjoy the trip! ;)
Actually Phillipe's did invent the french dip sandwich although Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet also claims it. Traxx restuarant is quite good and only modestly expensive for dinner and not bad for lunch.

(http://www.traxxrestaurant.com/welcome1.html)

I've tried both Philippe's and Cole's, along with Whooz as a judge. The biggest different between is Phillipe's dipped the sandwhich in au jus while Cole's don't. It provides a cup of au jus next to the sandwich.

Phillipe's is located few blocks from LAUS while Cole's is located in downtown area, about 2-3 blocks from Red Line station.

I don't blame the poster for asking about safety around LAUS... it can be a little sketchy around the station there. I felt okay during the day time hours, but there were some weird people around there when I was walking from the Coast Starlight to the Metro Plaza at 10:30PM... especially around that Chevron gas station between the station and hotel. (The hotel was fine, just had to watch my back a few times in the walk over there)

Anyway, I have done the Fly-a-way service and it's very convienitent and very reliable... would take it in a heart beat. Bigger suitcases you put in the cargo bay and smaller bags you can keep with you on the bus.

I don't blame the poster for asking about safety around LAUS... it can be a little sketchy around the station there. I felt okay during the day time hours, but there were some weird people around there when I was walking from the Coast Starlight to the Metro Plaza at 10:30PM... especially around that Chevron gas station between the station and hotel. (The hotel was fine, just had to watch my back a few times in the walk over there)
Anyway, I have done the Fly-a-way service and it's very convienitent and very reliable... would take it in a heart beat. Bigger suitcases you put in the cargo bay and smaller bags you can keep with you on the bus.
Honestly folks, the area between LAUS and the Metro Plaza Hotel is lit up so brightly at night with high-intensity street lamps that you can wear sunglasses. The walk can't be more than 3 minutes. There are fancy new condos-apartments on the southeast corner. The Chevron station is so open and so busy that there's probably never been a crime there. You're far safer in the area at night than in a fancy shopping mall parking lot, especially since there are people going to and fro. Maybe some people aren't used to the fact that perhaps half of the people in the area are not Caucasian. If so, it's a misplaced fear, believe me.

Take the Flyway, and if it's on time, enjoy your 2 or 3 hours around Olvera Street, Chinatown and Philippe's. Where else can you eat with sawdust on the floor?

I did that walk between Union Station and the Metro Plaza back in the bad "Starlate" days at 3 am. Made sure and walked through the lighted islands at that Chevron. A local denizen wanted to "help" me with my bags, which I declined. That was the end of that. Now if I am coming down, I stay at a major downtown hotel where a cab will take me. Nothing wrong with the Metro Plaza, I just want a place where a cab won't refuse to take me, like they did for the Metro Plaza at 3am.

That walk is fine in the daylight. Even the early evening. 3 am, no way.

I walked to the Metro Plaza and if I had it to do over again I think I would walk the 6 blocks to the Dragon's Gate because it was only 9PM. I didn't feel at all unsafe because as the previous poster said it is so well lit and many folks around. I just didn't feel as cozy in the Metro Plaza as I did at the Best Western Dragon's Gate.. Actually they were very nice and accomodating at the Metro Plaza. I was glad for the 9 Amish folks though because I felt kind of "alone" in the Metro Plaza, until I knew they were there. They had been on the CS with me.

Did the cab refuse to take you because it is so short a distance to the Metro Plaza rather than safety concerns? I am just asking because that happened to me once in Chicago Union station. I couldn't get a cab from Union Station to Greyhound bus station because the distance is so short they wait for longer and better paying fares. I was afraid to walk the distance not so much because it looked scary-it was day time- but because I was alone with a suitcase (before wheeled luggage) and didn't know exactly where the Greyhound station was although it was the new one- only 8 or so blocks.

The "Flyaway Bus" was briefly featured in this seasons Amazing Race opener as the teams used it to get to the airport. A couple of shots from within the buses as well.

Want to talk about a scary ride......Take the EL Orange line from the stop close to CUS to Midway Field. You'll want to bring your pistol along!!
Wb
I've taken the Orange line many, many times on my Chicago trips and I for the life of me don't know what you're talking about. I've never had a problem, I've never seen a problem--and if you do a Google search,you won't find a problem with the Orange line. I think sometimes that some people posting here have too vivid of imaginations about urban life in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back