first time traveling

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paul

My wife and I were considering traveling for the first time by train from boston to orlando with the kids (5 and 7) and was wondering if anyone had any pros and cons on traveling by train. We probably won't get a sleeper. I realize this is more trip reports but I've been reviewing some discussions and it seems like a lot of seasoned travelers post to this forum.

Thoughts.

You may also want to post this to the "Amtrak" forum, as there might be some folks that read that one but don't read this one.

Anyway, the pros of traveling by train:

*It's relaxing

*It's easier than driving (especially along the east coast)

*It can be cheaper than flying (in coach; though that depends on the specific circumstances of when you travel, when you book, what deals are available, etc.)

*It's an experience that can't be duplicated by any other mode of transportation (and I mean that in a good way; you can eat in the dining car and get to know your fellow travelers, it's more comfortable than a bus, plane, or car; you can look out the window and see the country from a perspective not available from the air or the highways)

*There are probably others that folks can add

Cons:

*It takes longer than flying (if time is important)

*Delays, especially due to freight congestion, can slow down your trip

*Due to inadequate funding and lack of equipment, the schedule choices aren't always the greatest

Thanks for the info I'll jump over to the AMTRAK forum and ask the same question. Oversight on my behalf. I'm more concerned if the kids sleeping in coach would be OK

Rather than having two seperate topics, I've deleted the new one you started in the Amtrak forum and moved the Trip Reports one to the Amtrak forum.

I did it this way, since Robert had already responded in this topic.

paul said:
Thanks for the info I'll jump over to the AMTRAK forum and ask the same question. Oversight on my behalf. I'm more concerned if the kids sleeping in coach would be OK
My boys have all been in both coach and sleepers since they were about 3. They sleep fine, the seats are real accomodating for kids. They will work off their energy going to the lounge car and down to the restrooms. And no one will mind.

rmadisonwi said:
You may also want to post this to the "Amtrak" forum, as there might be some folks that read that one but don't read this one.
Anyway, the pros of traveling by train:

*It's relaxing

*It's easier than driving (especially along the east coast)

*It can be cheaper than flying (in coach; though that depends on the specific circumstances of when you travel, when you book, what deals are available, etc.)

*It's an experience that can't be duplicated by any other mode of transportation (and I mean that in a good way; you can eat in the dining car and get to know your fellow travelers, it's more comfortable than a bus, plane, or car; you can look out the window and see the country from a perspective not available from the air or the highways)

*There are probably others that folks can add

Cons:

*It takes longer than flying (if time is important)

*Delays, especially due to freight congestion, can slow down your trip

*Due to inadequate funding and lack of equipment, the schedule choices aren't always the greatest
Paul, I must say that Robert has done an absolutely masterful job in listing the pros and cons. One would be hard pressed to improve upon Robert's listings. I don't know that I have ever seen them so succinctly put.

I have one slight suggestion, an expansion (to what he has already implied) of his fourth point in the pros. That would be learning so much about the georgaphy and the size of this country by train. I am afraid todays air travelers, used to zipping six hours from coast to coast, have lost all perspective of how large and beautiful this country is.

Of course you can see the geography from a bus (but the seats are so cramped) and from the car (but you have to do or share the driving). Just sit back on a train and relax and let someone else do the driving for you while you re-learn where one state is in relation to another, perhaps refresh yourself on what the state capitals are, goodies like that.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I have one slight suggestion, an expansion  (to what he has already implied)  of his fourth point in the pros.  That would be  learning so much about the georgaphy and the size of this country by train. I am afraid  todays air travelers, used to zipping six  hours from coast to coast, have lost all perspective of how large and beautiful  this country is.
Of course you can see the geography from a bus (but the seats are so cramped) and from the car (but you have to do or share  the driving).  Just sit back on a train and relax and let someone  else  do the driving for you while you  re-learn where one state is in relation to another, perhaps refresh yourself on what the state capitals are, goodies like that.
Not to mention that it is a bit difficult to really see things while your driving. That is, of course, assuming that you intend to pay attention to your driving . . . Things like keeping you eyes on the road, staying in your lane, etc..

You also see things from the train that you don't/can't see from the road, since the rails go places that the roads don't!

Another travel option might be to drive to Northern Virginia and then take Auto-Train to Sanford, which is in the Metro Orlando area. It would be a shorter train trip (more driving, though), but on the plus side your train travel would be in a Superliner (that's what Auto-Train uses), which is much taller and the view from it is spectacular by comparison to the single-level cars on the Silver Series (N.Y - Miami) trains. And you'd have your car for traveling around central Florida when you got there.

Back