First impressions: California Zephyr, CHI-RNO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cara, enjoyed the trip report and disappointed that you experienced a less than stellar car attendant. You should not have to make up and tear down your beds. If you wish to eat in your room, the SCA should accommodate your wishes with proper notice.

Although my wife and I have been generally happy with the vast majority of people with whom we have dined. (I am an extrovert who really likes to talk :p ), we have had a few "quiet ones" and a couple of really obnoxious ones as well. Just try to eat and look out the window in those cases. :)

Sorry for the attacks by a few of our members. We are really a friendly bunch with just a few that still need to learn to "play nice".

By the way, I still call my shoes "Tennis Shoes", and its been a long time since my last tennis match... Best wishes :)

I loved your report and hope that you'll write more!

I don't like wearing shoes in the shower so I always bring a "Magic Eraser" and clean the shower both before and after showering. I never noticed a smell and love showering while the train in moving... guess I like to giggle.

I don't wear tennies on the train since they are a hassle to deal with and just wear slip ons... but then when I walk, I am always watching me feet.

Cara, enjoyed the trip report and disappointed that you experienced a less than stellar car attendant. You should not have to make up and tear down your beds. If you wish to eat in your room, the SCA should accommodate your wishes with proper notice.

Although my wife and I have been generally happy with the vast majority of people with whom we have dined. (I am an extrovert who really likes to talk :p ), we have had a few "quiet ones" and a couple of really obnoxious ones as well. Just try to eat and look out the window in those cases. :)

Sorry for the attacks by a few of our members. We are really a friendly bunch with just a few that still need to learn to "play nice".

By the way, I still call my shoes "Tennis Shoes", and its been a long time since my last tennis match... Best wishes :)
In my experience, the car attendants have been better than the passengers, but diner attendants have caused trouble for me. Then again, the CZ tends to have "meaner" passengers than other trains, or maybe it's just a reflex because I live on the CZ's route and see too many mean people. I actually fret whenever I go into a train diner, after too many arrogant attendants and passengers.

I loved your report and hope that you'll write more!

I don't like wearing shoes in the shower so I always bring a "Magic Eraser" and clean the shower both before and after showering. I never noticed a smell and love showering while the train in moving... guess I like to giggle.

I don't wear tennies on the train since they are a hassle to deal with and just wear slip ons... but then when I walk, I am always watching me feet.
Good idea with the Magic Eraser and the slip ons, sounds better for showering on the train. Wearing flip-flops, well if the train rocks a bit, you could have an accident. What does it really feel like to shower on the train?

What does it really feel like to shower on the train?

Since my co-ordination makes me walk/look a bit like a drunk, it's a bit like a roller coaster ride with knobs, etc to hit and monkey with in a closet! The hardest part is unsnapping those dang snaps and trying to dress since there are typically large towel bags which take up a lot of room!

What does it really feel like to shower on the train?

Since my co-ordination makes me walk/look a bit like a drunk, it's a bit like a roller coaster ride with knobs, etc to hit and monkey with in a closet! The hardest part is unsnapping those dang snaps and trying to dress since there are typically large towel bags which take up a lot of room!
Not easy? I guess that's why most people don't do it. I just do it when I get to my destination. Really not seating when you're just sitting on an air-conditioned train. Thanks for explaining.

Haha. Personally I love showering on the train. I prefer to start off every day with a nice hot shower... no matter what I was doing the previous day. So it's a great luxury to have in the sleepers (I just wish Amtrak would provide shampoo for passengers!) I think its a thrill to shower with the train barreling down the tracks at 79 miles per hour... but my fiancée would disagree. She prefers to use the shower during the station stops since the train will be stationary for a few minutes.

Cara - thank you for the terrific report!

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the community seating.

It's interesting how passenger rail seems to attract introverts even though Amtrak staff seem rather hesitant to help anyone who doesn't act like an extrovert.
I don't think it's a matter of Amtrak attracting introverts - roughly 40% of Americans are introverts. I think it's that Amtrak's community dining is one of the few (only?) places nowadays where strangers are forced to sit together and share a meal. So, it's particularly unusual and uncomfortable for introverts, which is why it gets mentioned so often.

As for the footwear - I wear flip-flops on the train all the time. Yes, it's slightly dangerous, especially when crossing between cars. However, I'm convinced that walking through a train is precisely as dangerous as using an escalator. Both are relatively safe if you are careful and you pay attention, but if not then both are perfectly capable of chewing you up like farm machinery.

Back